Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by foxhollow, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Very nice! :thumbsup

2. bantiesrule

bantiesrule Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2008
    Long Prairie, MN
    They still have an ad in Backyard Poultry Magazine:Address is 2142 NW 47 Ave. Owatonna, MN 55060-1071, phone is 507-451-6782

3. erlibrd

erlibrd Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Oct 8, 2010
    mn
    There has been a flock of wild turkeys coming into my yard every day eating under the bird feeders. Do they pose a threat to my chickens? the chickens are out in the yard now that it's warm.

4. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

I can't think of a risk to your chickens by the turkeys. I would think it more likely the turkeys would get something from your chickens. That said depending where you are in the state and where the avian flu outbreak is it could all change.

Many of us (well, me) run turkeys and chickens together. I use to have wild turkeys in the yard all the time but since I got my turkeys I have not seen a wild one in the yard.

Ed and Ole are continuing to become part of the flock. I have been keeping Ed and Ole in there own coop. Ed and Ole have a covered run so they can see the other chickens, a few days ago I opened their coop to the great outdoors so they could venture out. They have not ventured far, but there have been some meetings between my flock and them. I have been under the weather, on death's doorstep, and finally got well enough to spend some time outside with them.

When I came from the coop, a barred rock hen followed me, Ole saw the hen and was instantly in love. I have never seen this before, maybe it is why he is called a "partridge chanticleer". He ran towards her and started dancing, putting his feather out, strutting just like I have seen grouse do. It was so funny, it went on for a good 3 minutes.....Then Ole was like me in high school, the barred rock simply turned her nose up and walked away....Poor Ole.

5. erlibrd

Oct 8, 2010
    mn
    Thanks for the reply Ralph, I am further north and I think the avian flu is in the southern part of the state?
    A lot of wild birds coming through this time of the year so no one will be totally safe I suppose.

6. Rhetts

Rhetts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    I own turkeys. They and the chickens mingle off and on together. Both free range. However, they have always only been on my property. I am way up north on the arrowhead and have not seen any wild turkeys yet. DH says they are around just haven't seen them. I suppose as far as diseases go who knows. A threat like any other wild bird. Will they attack your chickens? That I do not know. I know once in while my turkeys try to put a chicken in her place and it winds up with the turkeys running from the chicken. The chickens do a good job defending themselves but when a whole wild flock attacks that would be a different story.

BTW the replacement order of chicks came yesterday. All alive and thriving! [​IMG]

7. erlibrd

Oct 8, 2010
    mn
    TY for the reply, I am mostly concerned with the turkeys attacking I guess, but my nasty little roo might go after them and I don't really want to see him hurt but I don't like him so....[​IMG]

8. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    My turkeys and roosters never seem to fight. There is one foolish Jake that tries to entice the chicken hens to date him, but that never works out either.

I have never had an injury to a chicken, but then most of my chickens and turkeys grew up together, and they older pair raised chickens as babies.

9. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    I said I would post a picture of Nameless, the rooster I want to give away, so here he is. He should have a single comb, but frostbite made it into a cushion comb...

[​IMG]

I have no idea what he is for sure, just hints...

10. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Chicken Obsessed

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Wild turkeys generally have a louse load. So do grouse for that matter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by