Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by foxhollow, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
  2. Dandelioness

Dandelioness Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2014
    East Central MN
    I used feathersite to do chick IDs on a hatchery special I ordered on year. It was from Sandhill Preservation, and he sent along a checklist of how many of which breed he'd packed. I was surprised how many color variations of each breed they had. It is a very good site!

Minnie - do you find that their adult bird photos are, on average, representative of SOP? Just curious.

3. nordicacres

nordicacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2015
    South Central MN
    Thanks for the poultry website link! I spent too much time looking at different chicken breeds :)

Has anyone ever been to a poultry swap? There is one in New Ulm on 3/21 and since it is about a 10 minute drive for me I'm thinking about going! Is it set up like a flea market? People just bring their poultry and sell for cash? I'd be looking for very young chicks :)

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  4. Cyrus83

Cyrus83 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2013
    Chisago/Forest Lake
    I get back into town on the 20th, now I want to talk the misses into going for a spring drive to new ulm.

5. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    No, I wouldn't use feathersite for what a bird should look like according to SOP. Even the pictures IN the SOP aren't what you should go by, but the description of the bird. There are a lot of things that are subjective about the SOP, but they are also relative to other birds when you compare them. For instance, what is a "long back"? you have to look at different examples of them to see what is considered long. Whereas, tail angles are given and that is what they should be. You will even find the disclaimer in the front of the SOP that the pictures used in the book are the artists' interpretations of what the fowl should look like.
    Feathersite it great for getting a really good idea of the characteristics of the breeds in general terms. Lots of those pictures are of birds in Europe and Great Britain, that is why you see so many varieties we don't have here in the US.

6. Dandelioness

Dandelioness Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2014
    East Central MN
    Thanks!

7. cuppycake

cuppycake Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2013
    Duluth, MN
    Hey all. While I'm not necessarily new to chickens or the forum really, I am relatively new to MN. I now live in Duluth!

I'm also wondering if anyone here keeps chickens inside the city limits of Duluth. I've looked at the ordinance and license application, but want to get some firsthand info from fellow keepers. Are the site plans and inspection difficult to pass? Are there any local meet ups or swaps I can participate in?

Thanks!

8. nordicacres

nordicacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2015
    South Central MN
    Welcome! I can't help you with chicken keeping in Duluth, but love the city! Every winter we drive up to Lutsen to ski (DH is a snowboard nut) and spend a day in Duluth. Here is a list of the MN swaps I was able to find:

http://www.poultryshowcentral.com/Minnesota_Swap.html

9. Rhetts

Rhetts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    Sorry can't help you with the Duluth ordinances but wanted to say Hi! Howdy neighbor!! I am an hour north of Duluth so we are fairly close to each other.

10. coldupnorth

coldupnorth Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    N. MN
    I am just outside of Duluth and unfortunately do not not the ordinance and process for it. You may get some good incite if you ask on FB - duluth chicken club. You will have to ask permission to join, but people are very friendly on it. Hope that helps a bit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by