Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by foxhollow, Jul 17, 2008.

1. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

It's what labs do! so gross, and the other night I reached down for something and she laid a big lick on my lips, which is most likely why I am dying now....... I hate dog kisses but poopy ones or gross!

Your last statement there is why I did not say anything on the Duluth rules, I do not know them for one thing. BUT I know enough about Duluth to know if you follow all the rules the chicken czar has, you will violate a rule from one of the other fiefdoms the city has set up. I am not a "city" person and do not understand why they need so many departments and to control everything (except the REAL criminals which they seem to let run wild).......

I think Terrysgirl has the right idea, I just don't think I would have the mindset to follow through on it.....

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  2. starbuck123

starbuck123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2015
    We have a neighbor who I think doesn't like us very much..I know, just know that had we not crossed every T and dotted every I, he'd be calling the city to rat us out. :( My neighbors on each side of me are very nice and excited..but I know this one dude across the way..well, he's odd. I can't wait until we move someplace with a little more space between us and other people. :) but yes..such rigamarole indeed.

3. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    I could not live in the city. Because there is always one that is not happy and makes it their life mission to make everybody else miserable. My sister lives in Savage and they have a HUGE lot. But she needs...I forget...like 75% approval of the neighborhood before she could get chickens. She's way to busy with 3 teenage boys now for chickens...but I see her trying it out once everybody is out of the house.

Duluth, has been getting more progressive ...I've seen with facebook friends. With Planting gardens in front yards, chickens, and other food sourcing projects. But I believe you're right Ralphie...sometimes the rules of one "fiefdom" (love that word) get stepped on with trying out these other things. and Nobody has it straight or wants to coordinate all those rules so things can get done. INEFFICIENCY... It will drain us dry.

Thank the heavens above I live where I live....

4. Cyrus83

Cyrus83 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2013
    Chisago/Forest Lake
    Im so pumped to move to my new two acres, I'm going to get a lot more birds.

5. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

Good for you!

I think the proper bird per acre rate is 200,, You should do we with your 400 birds!

If you need a young heritage turkey let me know, I have one that would like to move...

And he can bring his friend "nameless" with him,

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  6. Scott16475

Scott16475 Chillin' With My Peeps

Greetings! I have a question regarding dust baths. On very rare occasions when we let the hens out of their part of the backyard, they always run to our flower garden where they spend their day laying in the dirt enjoying their dust bath. Now that the snow has melted, where I live anyway, they pace back and forth along the fence wanting out for the opportunity at a dust bath. I've always figured they would find a spot in their part of the yard to create a dust bath location but so far they haven't. Is there something I can do to manually create a dust bath location for them?

7. Bogtown Chick

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Oh Scott they love their dust baths. Yes. Get an old wash tub or I've even used a broken Weber Kettle Grill (haha--maybe subliminal that I thought of that) and fill it with a combo of dry sand and wood ashes. They'll go nuts over it. It really is in their behavior to do that sort of thing and a good idea to have a tub of stuff like that through the winter. It helps with keeping pests down or away like poultry lice and mites. And I do believe it makes a huge difference when they are preening and taking care of their feathers.

You can see my tub there behind the roosting ladder in the run.

[​IMG]

8. Bogtown Chick

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    That's alot of poo clean up Ralphie!....

9. Bogtown Chick

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Cyrus Hope the move all goes well and you're in chicken heaven there with your two acres...and low on predators too!

10. Cyrus83

Cyrus83 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2013
    Chisago/Forest Lake
    I may as well get 410! Whose counting ar that point?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by