Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by foxhollow, Jul 17, 2008.

1. ejb3810

ejb3810 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2010
    Northern Minnesota
    Ralphie there are a lot of complications with this Chicken Wrangling. I wish it were as simple as finding one rooster that would produce what I want, but the Whites turn everything Black and the Buffs turn everything Buff. To maintain integrity of color varieties means that multiple roosters must be kept in my case. I keep the breeds separated so that the roosters don't fight. In fact the bottom 3 ft of all pens is solid so they do not fight through wire pens.
    I would really like to work with another breed or three, but I probably won't because of the separation issues.

2. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    I do not have enough covered runs!

Once I get more covered runs so each rooster has his own flock life will be better. I like the looks of all me roosters. I have even gotten to like Ole and his constant womanizing.

I am working today on making a pen for Bert and his Dixie rainbow gals. I should have that done tomorrow with a covered run so Bert is not so harassed by the other roosters. I don't know if it is Bert or a trait of CX's but for a rooster is just so mellow. He is hanging out in the area the wild ditch weed (marijuana) grows, that could explain it.

The only birds I can keep separate right now is the Creamettes. I like to free range so I am not sure how I can do that and have multiple roosters unless I free range a different group everyday. You would think with 30 hens and 3 roosters they could learn to get along. I even tried singing the old Coca Cola song "we are the world" to them and they never got the hint.

3. rainin22

rainin22 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2013
    St. Francis, MN
    I'd love to see photos of the coops people have in MN as inspiration =) We have 12 little ones right now..

4. Rhetts

Rhetts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    well, my brother in law set 18 duck and 3 goose eggs of ours tonight. He just had a successful first chicken hatch in his incubator so if we can get half of his success rate I will be super happy!! What is a fair offer of hatchlings to him? I thought half was fair. Or am I not being fair. He is doing the whole thing for incubating/hatching. I only collect eggs. :) He said he will candle at day 6 to see if anything is happening.

5. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

Well, that depends on a few things:

Do you like your brother in law?

Do you consider him a pain in the rear?

Do you ever want to see him again?

Answer these 3 question and the correct number should be obvious..

6. AmericanKraut

AmericanKraut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2014
    Minnesota
    Hey all! Happy spring to you! I went MIA, had surgery and now recovering at home with a brooder box at my side to keep me company. A new friend at the feed store hollered me over when some EEs were in that no one came to pick-up from an order. I wasn't planning on EEs but considering I'm sat to a recliner for a few weeks I took 'em!

So suddenly today I got in touch with a great lady in Chisago that has Blue, Splash, and Black Copper Marans. She said come and get them. Just 10 minutes prior, Houle's back in Stillwater called me and said they'd get me Welsummers and Cuckoo Marans, come and get them.

Which do you think I should go with? Each of my chicken leads all have had some set-backs so I thought maybe I wouldn't even do chicks this Spring, and then in two days I have a KFC bucket bursting up in here. The marans in Chisago are a February hatch so they're already a bit older. I'd keep them separate to introduce to the new EEs I have when size evens out. We do want chickens used to handling but I imagine they're still young enough to get warmed up with some gentle TLC? We do have children, they're good with animals and gentle, but there are five of them with assorted friends wandering in and out, so our yard is pretty loud in the summer.

I know it's pretty much a personal preference but I'd love to hear what you think I should go with, for looks or demeanor or maran vs Welsummer eggs or just because. I haven't had either. We don't have a farm, just under 2 acres and this is just a backyard family flock. We don't have an existing flock right now, just the EE chicks.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  7. DigMyChicks

DigMyChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2015
    Appleton, MN
    Hi! I'm from Appleton Minnesota

8. AmericanKraut

Jun 2, 2014
    Minnesota

Hi rainin22! I'm on my phone right now, so it's the mobile version of the forum but I *think* if you are on the full site there's images/photos on the right side of the thread to click through and there's some good coop shots in there! I've seen some beautiful ones posted :)

9. AmericanKraut

Jun 2, 2014
    Minnesota

Welcome!! Glad you're here! I'm near Forest Lake. :)

10. AmericanKraut

Jun 2, 2014
    Minnesota
    Oops typo

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by