Minnesota!

@Cyrus83 I wanted to tell you too that I love that coop set up at the new place! COZY yet SPACIOUS. birds will love it!

@Rhetts do you think if you ask BIL's wife what he may have been thinking for trade...he may have said something to her...? Sneak a question in. He sounds like the kind of guy that will be happy with anything. To be honest. Good luck with Predator watch.

Last edited:
Welcome back @AmericanKraut ! I hope you heal fast! Couching it with a brooder box sounds like my kind of therapy!

Welcome @DigMyChicks .

@Triplell You know your in my thoughts and prayers.

@Minniechickmama & @duluthralphie sorry about those lost hatches.
hugs.gif
Uff-da....... I should be checking on Shannon's (my friends) incubator to see how it's coming with our little project. This is the week to see if we have duds or creamette-itos.

I'm thinking about the lack of eggs happening with my CLBs right now and the nutritional things that triplell and duluthralphie mentioned. But I'm chalking it up to settling into a new environment right now. Plus...everyone else is on a spring taper here.. So it could be they are on a mini break right now and when I have nobody laying in July & August maybe they'll help me fill egg cartons. If not...maybe I'll look at Gamebird feed. They do remind me of little grouse or pheasant hens in the woods there...

I had a huge double yolker for breakfast this morning. The buckeye laid it yesterday. The yolks were bright orange and large. (Poor girl --getting that one out) But she's a happy 8 lb hen...so maybe not too bad for her. For poops and giggles we weighed the Rooster, a New Hampshire and he is 9 lbs. LOL. Daisy is a big girl.
love.gif

@rainin22 if you click on our profiles you'll see under our descriptions or what have you often "MY COOP" links. those are always fun to get a visual on set ups. I love the coop pages myself. Minnesota (Midwest-for my beloved Dakota folks and Badger-fans) coops tend to be some of the best out there IMHO. Ralphie is just humble about his fun & practical barnyard...you know his poultry has all the amenities and lots of love.

So you found the hidden clutch of eggs, Ralphie. OMGosh I can just picture Turken strutting her stuff out of the shed.
gig.gif
Are any of those eggs Ethel's? Or is she sneakier than Turken and friends? Chicken "Young and the Roostless" takes another turn in the plot....dunh, dunh, Dunh!!!

Thanks for saying the nice things, I am not use to it.
celebrate.gif

I am glad to hear, but sad for you to hear your creamettes are not laying lots of eggs. I am averaging one egg every other day. I think only one of them is laying. I have been giving bird seed and BOSS for treats, I need to find some oats. I have been looking on craigslist but the only oats I see are 200 miles away. There is a ad from Wisconsin, near Eau Claire, but by the time I drive there I might as well pay the feed stores inflated prices.

Ethel is sneaking a nest somewhere. BUT I am going to find it. After a week of arguing with my wife on whether she should let me use her IPhone and duct tape it to Ethel and use the find my phone app, I have given up on that idea. She can be so unreasonable. Instead I have ordered a Bluetooth Tracker from Amazon. It claims it will work within 100 ft with the app. I plan to put it on Ethel and find her nest.

I fixed my wife a double yolk for breakfast also. It was so big I thought it was a triple yolk, or someones goose had snuck into the coop..

Rhett, I was keeping them in until noon, but I have these precious Creamettes now and they needed the covered run for their home. If I start missing too many eggs I will lock them in longer again. I have a net to cover the other pen coming from the coop and I may do that if need be. Then I can keep them until noon.

I have another pen marked out and am getting supplies for it today. I have a couple more I want to build this summer so I can keep rooster separated and control the breeding. Hopefully, by the end of the weekend Bert will be in a covered run with a couple sexy Dixie rainbows. Actually, I feel sorry for Bert now, When he sees a girl he likes he runs after her, but he is so fat and slow, he cannot catch them. Or if he does catch them Ed knocks him off the hen. poor bert!

Question: Once I get Bert in with the Dixie Chicks how long do I have to wait to incubate the eggs to be sure they are Bert's babies?

Last edited:
Will you show us your "McGuyver" set up once you get it strapped on Ethel? I can't wait to see how it works. Bluetooth is getting so reasonable these days...I hope you got a good deal anyways. It would be just fun to see what those birds do with their days anyhow.

The other day The Big Tootsie took the gals down to the compost pile and while they scratched and dug he plunked down and started sunning himself and watched them for his afternoon siesta entertainment. They are quite the birds....

Here is what the tracker looks like. I bought a cheap one. They have one that ha a video camera on it if you really want to see what they do all day.

61bSrUQD-gL._SL1500_.jpg

Birds make no sense sometimes. I mucked out their coop last weekend and my Bobcat popped a heater hose. I did not get it fixed right away so I had the pile of their manure and wood chips lying outside the door. They spent two days digging through the bedding as if it was a treat they had never seen. silly Birds..

Yay I finally downloaded the backyardchickens app for my phone so I thought I'd share a couple of my babies. One is a lavender orpington and the other is a calico cochin. The cochin loves attention and always wants to eat out of my hand =)

Now I'm very new to all this, and I know it's hard to tell at this age who might be a rooster or hen, but I just have a feeling that orpington is a rooster lol.

Last edited:
Dollars to Donuts the top picture is a Rooster. His feathering and shanks are tell-tale.

The one below, I'm almost certain is a hen. She's beautiful already even at the awkward "tween" age there.
Okay good to know! He isn't mean, but doesn't really prefer me to pick him up or give him any attention. She on the other hand has always been sweet from day one and always interested in being near me. She is also sweet with all the other chicks and they love to cuddle under her plump belly haha!

Back
Top Bottom