Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by foxhollow, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    @Cyrus83 I wanted to tell you too that I love that coop set up at the new place! COZY yet SPACIOUS. birds will love it!

@Rhetts do you think if you ask BIL's wife what he may have been thinking for trade...he may have said something to her...? Sneak a question in. He sounds like the kind of guy that will be happy with anything. To be honest. Good luck with Predator watch.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
  2. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

Thanks for saying the nice things, I am not use to it. [​IMG]

I am glad to hear, but sad for you to hear your creamettes are not laying lots of eggs. I am averaging one egg every other day. I think only one of them is laying. I have been giving bird seed and BOSS for treats, I need to find some oats. I have been looking on craigslist but the only oats I see are 200 miles away. There is a ad from Wisconsin, near Eau Claire, but by the time I drive there I might as well pay the feed stores inflated prices.

Ethel is sneaking a nest somewhere. BUT I am going to find it. After a week of arguing with my wife on whether she should let me use her IPhone and duct tape it to Ethel and use the find my phone app, I have given up on that idea. She can be so unreasonable. Instead I have ordered a Bluetooth Tracker from Amazon. It claims it will work within 100 ft with the app. I plan to put it on Ethel and find her nest.

I fixed my wife a double yolk for breakfast also. It was so big I thought it was a triple yolk, or someones goose had snuck into the coop..

Rhett, I was keeping them in until noon, but I have these precious Creamettes now and they needed the covered run for their home. If I start missing too many eggs I will lock them in longer again. I have a net to cover the other pen coming from the coop and I may do that if need be. Then I can keep them until noon.

I have another pen marked out and am getting supplies for it today. I have a couple more I want to build this summer so I can keep rooster separated and control the breeding. Hopefully, by the end of the weekend Bert will be in a covered run with a couple sexy Dixie rainbows. Actually, I feel sorry for Bert now, When he sees a girl he likes he runs after her, but he is so fat and slow, he cannot catch them. Or if he does catch them Ed knocks him off the hen. poor bert!

Question: Once I get Bert in with the Dixie Chicks how long do I have to wait to incubate the eggs to be sure they are Bert's babies?

3. Bogtown Chick

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Will you show us your "McGuyver" set up once you get it strapped on Ethel? I can't wait to see how it works. Bluetooth is getting so reasonable these days...I hope you got a good deal anyways. It would be just fun to see what those birds do with their days anyhow.

The other day The Big Tootsie took the gals down to the compost pile and while they scratched and dug he plunked down and started sunning himself and watched them for his afternoon siesta entertainment. They are quite the birds....

4. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    Here is what the tracker looks like. I bought a cheap one. They have one that ha a video camera on it if you really want to see what they do all day.

[​IMG]

Birds make no sense sometimes. I mucked out their coop last weekend and my Bobcat popped a heater hose. I did not get it fixed right away so I had the pile of their manure and wood chips lying outside the door. They spent two days digging through the bedding as if it was a treat they had never seen. silly Birds..

5. Bogtown Chick

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Have you thought how you are going to put it on her?

It looks neat.

6. rainin22

rainin22 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2013
    St. Francis, MN
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yay I finally downloaded the backyardchickens app for my phone so I thought I'd share a couple of my babies. One is a lavender orpington and the other is a calico cochin. The cochin loves attention and always wants to eat out of my hand =)

Now I'm very new to all this, and I know it's hard to tell at this age who might be a rooster or hen, but I just have a feeling that orpington is a rooster lol.

1 person likes this.
  7. Bogtown Chick

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Dollars to Donuts the top picture is a Rooster. His feathering and shanks are tell-tale.

The one below, I'm almost certain is a hen. She's beautiful already even at the awkward "tween" age there.

8. rainin22

Sep 29, 2013
    St. Francis, MN
    Okay good to know! He isn't mean, but doesn't really prefer me to pick him up or give him any attention. She on the other hand has always been sweet from day one and always interested in being near me. She is also sweet with all the other chicks and they love to cuddle under her plump belly haha!

9. Cyrus83

Cyrus83 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2013
    Chisago/Forest Lake
    Thanks Bogtown Chick, the new coop is 14'x10' and currently only housing five birds. So according to chicken math I should be able to get ummmmmmmmmmm... more chickens.

1 person likes this.
  10. rainin22

Sep 29, 2013
    St. Francis, MN
    [​IMG] I also feel like this guy is a rooster, what do you think? [​IMG]

and here "he" is with one of our salmon faverolles.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by