Minnesota!

Ralphie, hope Berts recovery continues. I'm really rooting for some little toads! Your DW is amazing, very nice wrapping.

Nordic - We have had 4-6 guineas at a time. Between them and the chickens, the tick population on 3 of our 20 is extremely low. When the kids venture out further, I check them right away, though.

I've raised my guineas with chickens, so they roost with the chickens & come home every night. But I am considering a guinea gulag of my own to expand my guinea flock & let them go semi-feral on the land. (So they don't bother the chickens too much) Trouble is, we like the meat, so how would I catch guineas roosting in treetops?? I like to keep the chickens penned for a certain portion of the spring, but want my guineas out during that time as ticks emerge. How little housing can I get away with, especially in winter?

Enjoying the discourse on herbs and growing fodder/forage for the chickens. I do a lot of that, too. They can consume most culinary or tea herbs. The key is being sure they have enough of what is safe to eat so they aren't forced to eat it or starve. Wormwood & black walnut are toxic in large amounts, but hens will nibble them at times if they have access, sometimes avoiding them altogether. Some people think they are self-medicating to keep worms in check. I found that an interesting thought, but am not sold on the idea of a black walnut tree growing in the yard making it unnecessary to check for and possibly treat for worms. So just make sure they have access to a lot of things. I heard of a woman who had to keep her hens in a run. She planted herbs and other things chickens like to nibble OUTSIDE the run - the foliage was available to the hens, but the roots remained safe.

I have a 12 ga, or a 17 cal. I plan to use to catch my guineas when I get enough to eat.

Those planning on Guineas must know one thing, They make a flock of crowing roosters, and a pack of braying wolves sound quiet.

I do not want my guineas in the chicken coop anymore, they cause too much trouble! I run them out a couple times a week. BUT right now I am etting them stay until the Guinea Gulag is complete, then they will move in the dead of the night.

Pen G injection, hmmm. While we seem to have stopped Bert from getting worse, his foot does not seem to be getting better. I know I am grasping at straws but I will try anything and everything. I even, heaven help me, thought of taking him to the vet, but I know my vet will think I have went over the edge. Besides, DW may not go for spending a few hundred on Bert.

Sorry to hear about your CL BogtownChick... I am down to three eggs that may have a chance, but I doubt it. The one I patched and two others. I wish I knew what I was doing wrong.

We have 9 guineas right now, I have 3 eggs in the incubator, They are crossing the road now to an over grown field . I am going to hunt for eggs there when the weather gets better. It is so hard to find nests!

I wonder sometimes if there is a secret stash of eggs somewhere too. But my lazy bone ( don't want to go on a fruitless search) tells me that my chickens are older or new introductions therefore lower production numbers. I got another blue egg today. So one a week? Lol

Thanks for the condolences @duluthralphie . Keep working on the foot. It takes a while on those feet. Usually 2 weeks for things to heal. It's a pain to keep at it though. I understand.

We got a skin of snow stuck to grass and the deck. And it's snowing those snow pellets.

Husband brought home some Alaskan pollock from a charity fish fry he helped with. ( some extra left over. ). Any ways it was soggy and we broiled it and were spoiled with other good fresh fish from our lake... It just didn't taste good. Brought it down to Roger and the girls this morning and their taste buds thankfully are less discriminate than ours. Roger proudly bick-bicking his offerings to his hens. Always fun when I can spoil my yard birds with those healthy things.

Rhett's I've been thinking about filling my humming bird feeder too. But I think I'll give it a day or two now.

The MIL and FIL return from South Texas today. Such a nice Minnesota snowy welcome we have here.

Have a good one MN Peeps.

I think it is way too early to fill a hummingbird feeder...... BUT I am getting the urge too.

I want more color at my feeders. (which my DW has deemed the ugliest bird feeder in the world.)

The rate at which CL's ay eggs, I can see why they are rare, any normal farmer/egg producer would dump their lazy butts ( I almost said the other word).

I am getting 3-4 still a week from my 2.

I asked on the CL thread and they say CL's are good layers, they think I am feeding too much protein and not enough carbs.

They also suggested worming and de-lousing them, as a precaution. I am not a fan of meds, so I have a quandary. I did purchase the stuff, but cannot bring myself to use it.

Last edited:
I would not want to dig out all those pellets! LOL

When guinea gulag is ready, I'd love to see it. I read there will be a topper involved, but can't really picture it all. How much razor wire are you using?

A friend of mine in Michigan got her first guinea egg 2 days ago, BTW.

I would not want to dig out all those pellets! LOL

When guinea gulag is ready, I'd love to see it. I read there will be a topper involved, but can't really picture it all. How much razor wire are you using?

A friend of mine in Michigan got her first guinea egg 2 days ago, BTW.

I have 3 or 4 in the incubator for a may 15 hatch.

The gulag is not fancy. The topper just sits on the ground so if they want they can get out of the weather. I am putting roosts on the poles holding the game bird netting up.

To medicate or not to medicate I think is a crux for those of us that blurr the line of livestock with pets. I dont think illy of those that do everything in their power for their birds save to the point of knowing when it would be best to cull the animal to avoid suffering. And I admire those that keep a hard line on not medicating and culling and feeding the family. I think Ralphie you got a pet and if you want to use medicine on Bert that is all right. Its not like you are running a huge operation and all the birds are on medication long term. Thats a seperate issue. I think your reluctance & precaution in using it is good.

I think give the Creamettes time. Adjustments with new flock members have always taken time for me. There's lots of advice out there. I think those living down south with out hard freezes on pests have more issues than us to be honest. So we hear alot of the medicating advice from those folks.

I will admit that after our Blackhead bout though that I watch the birds getting leaner and leaner by end of June. And I do rotate two broad spectrum wormers. The birds usually are on summer break at that point for egg laying and its a bit before they start their molt (wormers are hard on feather making). I don't find that my birds care for pumpkin and I'm just doubtful they'd eat enough to take on the worm load they no doubt get by several months of grazing and scratching in the swamp on oodles of earthworms. So once a year in July for the last two years I've just done it. Any eggs are pulled scrambled and given to the dog for two weeks after the 2nd dose. I hate it every time I do it. So I don't know....I struggle with medicating and not wanting a hen to waste away because I have philosophical foodie issues. Im wishy washy and I know it.

I think it is way too early to fill a hummingbird feeder...... BUT I am getting the urge too.

I want more color at my feeders. (which my DW has deemed the ugliest bird feeder in the world.)

The rate at which CL's ay eggs, I can see why they are rare, any normal farmer/egg producer would dump their lazy butts ( I almost said the other word).

I am getting 3-4 still a week from my 2.

I asked on the CL thread and they say CL's are good layers, they think I am feeding too much protein and not enough carbs.

They also suggested worming and de-lousing them, as a precaution. I am not a fan of meds, so I have a quandary. I did purchase the stuff, but cannot bring myself to use it.
I too am not a fan of using antibiotics, but sometimes it IS necessary. However, like Bogtown said, it takes a while to heal. The infection didn't set in overnight and it won't leave that quickly either. If you are giving him fresh dressing on it every day, then that will make it heal quicker. If you don't want to use anything else, Neosporin IS really a good way to go with daily redressing. You can try the sugar/betadine cast again too if you feel more of the infection needs to be drawn out. The good things is, you caught it early. If the infection is still liquid, that is better than if it has been missed and it is hardened nasty stuff (it all stinks like h*** either way!). My rooster had problems all winter, but being so cold, and that I do not bring chickens in my house once they leave the hatcher, I couldn't do as much with him as I would have liked.

When I say cage, Ralphie, I mean a dog cage that is big enough to hold 10 chickens ;) Although, the pan I have is smaller and would have to use the medium dog cage for soaking a foot for an extended period of time.
I have a Cornish (purebred) rooster that I have in a small hutch I made for the Call ducks I had used to have. It is 3'X4' and he is not happy at all being in there by himself. I have no choice, he doesn't get along with the other roosters and the pen he was in with hens a weasel has gotten into twice. So, the ladies went in with the other rooster and he has to be in the hutch.

I would like to have some guineas, and I might be giving them a try this year. The problem is, we have 3 dogs who like to chase and kill feathered critters. Even though we haven't had an incident in 2-years, I know my male especially would not hesitate to go after any bird that might wander into his domain (the house side of the driveway). Guineas, being what they are and how they like to roam, would likely end up where they shouldn't be and I would find a pile of feathers. Not having ducks this year, I do have a vacant pasture area I can keep them. I do have plenty of other predators too though, besides that dang weasel (eagles, hawks, coyotes, fox, just the usual for the area).

I have 3 or 4 in the incubator for a may 15 hatch.

The gulag is not fancy. The topper just sits on the ground so if they want they can get out of the weather. I am putting roosts on the poles holding the game bird netting up.

Mine must be hiding somewhere...

Hey, I can't find Dixie Rainbows for sale anymore. You don't have a roo, do you? Thinking about trying to hatch them out. I really like their feathering.

I am a bit concerned for you folks with the Legbars having laying issues. I don't know why they would need extra carbs, that usually takes away from their laying ability.
I wouldn't hesitate to de-worm if that is a possibility. Also, de-lousing is easy enough with Sevin. Many people are now using Frontline on their birds to keep mites and lice away too. A few drops at the shoulder between where the wings attach is supposed to keep them clean for 6-months. My concern with doing that is being able to eat the birds after, but some of my fellow Cornish breeders said they have been doing it and still eating culls for a couple years or more and not run into any problems. But of course, it is not labeled for use with chickens.

Mine must be hiding somewhere...

Hey, I can't find Dixie Rainbows for sale anymore. You don't have a roo, do you? Thinking about trying to hatch them out. I really like their feathering.

No, I lost my Rainbow rooster over the winter. He got a foot infection, and I did not notice it in time, and did not go to the lengths I am going on Bert. Part of the reason I am trying to save Bert, besides breeding toads, is people keep saying you cannot keep a CX alive long. I am just ornery enough to try and prove them wrong.

As I said if Bert does not make it I will put Ed in with the Rainbows, Ed has huge legs and thighs so he should do nicely.

I have no plans to eat any legbar eggs so drugging them is less of an issue with me than the other chickens. I have to agree I find people in the south do things differently than we do. Which is one of the reasons I ask on this thread as well as on the threads for the breeds etc. It is more likely what is done by all of you will work than what some guy in Florida does.

BogtownChick what is the thing with pumpkins? Do they help with worms?

MY chickens love pumpkins, I grew two HUGE pumpkins last year for the grandkids, the chickens got in the shed and ate them both!

Back
Top Bottom