Minnesota!

Alot of the eggs were the Buckeye's and she is not that fond of his affections. Plus she can get herself away from him quite well as she weighs about the same as he does. She's so strong too. And then she does have her little buckeye face....well that only her mother, me, loves. I think you are right Ralphie. He does play the favorites game.

But Lucy his go-to gal lately she's pretty....IDK....
love.gif
droolin.gif

My parents had a fishing resort and the owners before them used the woods nearby for a dump. There were tin budweiser cans, household goods/plates/glasses/ spatulas, wooden boats, minnow buckets, brown glass gallon hilex jugs with finger loop on the neck and still out there is a coca-cola cooler that weighs a ton. I want it so bad though. Project for my dad and I I guess. But it looks like it has .22 bullet holes in though. Still cool looking.

If you had Ole you would not have to worry about the eggs being fertile, he thinks any girl he can outrun, grab by the neck and jump on is his favorite. Luckily Ed and Ernie keep him in line. I see them knock him off a hen 5 times a day at least. His tail is nearly missing now from Ed and Ernie pulling him off so many hens. I told him he had to slow down, put he does not listen.

Well last night the feed mill in Lake Park burnt down!! The fires around us r getting bad. There were 4-5 fire calls for our town yesterday.

Holm25 that is tough to hear. Devastating to have the feed mill go. How horrible. It is very dry all around the state. We had a little drizzle of rain this morning. Not nearly enough for what we need though.

Ole sounds like the guy we need right before the kindergarten round up! hahaha
yippiechickie.gif
D.gif
jumpy.gif

Ugh... I've been quarantined for 30 days. A couple guys showed up yesterday in hazmat garb and tested my chickens because we're within 6 miles or something of an outbreak. Not sure but it might be the Jenny-o turkey barns by Menahga?

The good news is the guys said we don't have it but the tests will take a long time to get back.

Ugh... I've been quarantined for 30 days. A couple guys showed up yesterday in hazmat garb and tested my chickens because we're within 6 miles or something of an outbreak. Not sure but it might be the Jenny-o turkey barns by Menahga?

The good news is the guys said we don't have it but the tests will take a long time to get back.

Wow, scary stuff! More turkeys! Maybe Ralphie is right and Turkey will be $19.00 a lb lol. This has got to be hitting the Turkey Industry hard. Maybe the fact that the hardest hit and most often hit are the factory farms will be a wake up call and the US will start changing its ways. Maybe take a hint from us backyarders that are not being struck and start doing away with factory farms all together like Europe and England. They will have hardier stock, more biodiversity, better conditions all around. Of course, knowing business peeps they will insist the increased cost of doing so is killing them and charge the consumer a fortune for the resulting product. All the more reason to raise your own

I heard back from my friend with the incubator. She's a Kindergarten teacher and she set eggs from our flock last Wednesday. It seems our boy, Rog, is shooting blanks!

0 development in the eggs. Anybody know if 3 year old Rooster is pushing it for fertility? I guess I just assumed he would be still okay at 3. What have you heard for breeding purposes and to ensure fertility. Interestingly, too, last fall after his molt he grew several feathers that are white (or without pigment) on his head and a couple primary wing feathers that are white and were always red before. Roger. My Old Codger.
old.gif
Sometimes frostbite and cold winters can effect fertility, but 3 isn't too old to be breeding. I think either he isn't interested in females any more or something else is causing that. It took some of my boys a while to get things going this year, and I have one pen now that I was getting fertile eggs in the hatches I lost from hatcher issues, but now they are all clear. I wish I could tell you something certain, but there are different things that may effect fertility.
As for the white feathers. That is not uncommon to see as they get older, and some breeds or lines are more apt to have that happen than others. It isn't something a breeder would keep around but in your case, it will just as a uniqueness to his beauty.

Did he walk up your drive in sterile boots or drive up in disease laden tires from the turkey farm?

Last edited:
very glad to report that the little cream legbar hen appears to be doing better today. She is on day When I got home and opened the gates for the flock to free range, she came out with everyone else - and she doesn't always come out into the open . Tomorrow I will be able to keep a closer eye and see if her droppings have improved. this is day 4 of the corid, and she gobbled up a scrambled egg with two cloves of chopped garlic yesterday.

Keeping my fingers crossed....

A doofus neighbor of my partner's decided to burn his field this weekend, and of course it got away from him and came darned close to her house. She said it was pretty terrifying. He thought the burning ban didn't matter.....

Back
Top Bottom