Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by foxhollow, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    The general color looks right for Lilac, but all those flecks tell me there is some Blue of some kind in the mix. That is what you see when that Blue homozygous gets mixed in somewhere, or that you see when breeding White Laced Red and Dark Cornish together (ask me how I know ;) )
    They are beautiful birds though, Ralphie, either way.

2. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    I have looked at that site and those birds they look like mine, but looks are deceiving.

I asked about those flecks and was told a long confusing answer about them being part of the lilac because of a double slate gene or blue gene or I dunno I had already learned my one thing for the day so it was all mushy to me..

I have decided it does not matter. they are pets and if I ever sold them my grand daughter would disown me she loves JJ.

Last edited: May 5, 2015
  3. Minniechickmama

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Yes, in all other respects they should be the same. They are apt to be flighty, as most (all in my book) white egg layers are. I would suggest Rosecombs since they will hold up to the Minnesota winter weather better. Single combs just get damaged so easily. If you want some with that same look but are calmer birds, try Welsummers. They lay a darker brown egg, the shade of terra cotta and sometimes darker. They are a calm and friendly breed (when bred correctly). I have had them for 5 years and love them and will keep them around. The only thing I do not like is that they too have the large single comb and wattles and they are thin enough that they do suffer from frostbite as well. The thing you have to look for to see the difference between them and the Brown Leghorns is the earlobe color, Leghorns are white and Wellies are red.

4. Minniechickmama

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    FINALLY!!! I have a good hatch again!!!! [​IMG]
    I turned off all the units and reset temps, triple checked that they were what they were supposed to be, adjusted the wicking pads for humidity, and so far, there is a good number of peepers in the hatcher over the last 24-hours. What a relief!!!!

Oh, and jbenson, if you can do your brooder house chores in 15-minutes, you don't have enough chicks!!! LOL I wish that was all it took me to do mine. I had to move some out today, clean some of the brooders, and then shift the growing ones to bigger brooders. I have them on a rotation in there until they go out in a tractor or run outside.

Last edited: May 5, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  5. Minniechickmama

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    I think you are wise to question the validity of the information you are being served in this smorgasbord of "internet experts". They are lovely and you have them in such great condition. As long as you are happy with them and the wife doesn't break out the cast iron skillet to whack you with, then they are just fine with you. People running to find the rarest, or latest greatest color or breed generally aren't really in it for the right reasons in my book.

6. Cluckies

Cluckies Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    @aimlessego , Welcome to BYC! I'm from Nowthen another neighbor :) [​IMG]

@duluthralphie Beautiful Birds, JJ is gorgeous!

7. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    I need to leave early like in ten minutes for TSC in Elk River, I hear it calling me, the urge is irresistible! I feel the pull.

8. AmericanKraut

AmericanKraut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2014
    Minnesota

That's great! Happy planting! I missed doing seeds but I still want to order a bunch of herb and wildflower seeds for our field and ditches we're trying to restore. I'd love to see duckling pics!

I've been offline quite a bit, glad to stop in this morning and catch up a little. The last month of school seems to be the most work with my kids!

Here's some pics, though, the rooster from @Triplell is showing his blades! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then hen laid three times the first week and a half, then she stopped completely. I got them spoiled now eating some canned salmon and sunflower seeds and anything else I could find to bring each day out to the coop to start winning them over. Now they'll both let me pick them up and she finally started laying again. Right in the middle of the yard, though, what's with that lol? This is not a broody mama! Fine with me, easy to reach.

1 person likes this.
  9. jbenson

jbenson Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2012

I will have to post some photos of what we have going in the brooder house. We have somewhere between 80-100 chicks right now of varying ages. About to move the biggest ones into a tractor (as soon as the tractor is finished that is) or maybe oust the two boys from the bachelor pad and use it for grow out pen. Then shuffle everyone up a level to get some medium sized chicks out of a crowded tote. They grow a bit more quickly sometimes than I anticipate and get crowded and I have to do makeshift stuff like put them in huge plastic totes. It works, but it is not ideal. I installed an exhaust fan in the brooder house over the weekend and it is helping immensely with temp control. We didn't get the insulation in yet, so the sun is creating some extra heat. We turn all heat sources off in the morning and turn the FA on and they all get comfy for the day, but it is still a bit cold at night for the youngest without a heat source.

10. Dandelioness

Dandelioness Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2014
    East Central MN
    AmericanKraut - I think the last part of school is the hardest when it's nice like it has been. I'm thinking about schooling through the summer this year, maybe a reduced schedule after the baby comes, so they can be outside all day now before all the bugs & heat. Nice looking roo & hen. Hope you're still recovering well :)

Minnie - I'm so glad your hatch is going well! I've been feeling so bad for you! I wound up grafting my two chicks onto my little silkie (two other chicks didn't make it). I will have to post a photo of her giving me the stink-eye while the chicks peer up at me from between her feathers.

Jbenson - would love to see your rotational system. :)

Ralphie - I'm so glad your little creamette is looking healthier. Did you make it back without any clearance fuzzy butts??

Have a lovely day, everyone :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by