Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by foxhollow, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Sound like you could ask for "First born" sale money on Turkeys too!

That's kind of cool!!!.....

2. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    If any of the above it true and if they truly are Lilacs I may have to change how I raise them and where. RIght now they free range and her nest is right next to the swamp. They hate being locked up.

Here are their pictures, not touched up with a flash this evening just before sunset. I tired to get the best color I could because the people on the other thread were asking.,,,,OR are they pulling my gullible leg,,Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Bogtown Chick

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    They are good looking!

Or you could let them be if you haven't had problems and keep a bottle of fishzole on hand for "just in case".

4. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    Why would I want fishzole what is that?

I am thinking if my turkeys are truly rare I should not own them and they should go to someone that knows what they are doing with them.

5. Dandelioness

Dandelioness Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2014
    East Central MN
    Wow! I have no idea what I'd do if I found I had such a rare breed in my flock. I love that my birds can run around for the most part, but there's always a risk you run letting them range. They sure are good-looking birds, whatever they are.

I think it's so cool that we have some spinners on the thread - no pun intended! I put together a red neck hand spinning thing a few years ago with some CDs (probably AOL!), a dowel, an eye hook & grommet when we studied Mesopotamia. I bought some wool roving and still pull it out occasionally. It is very therapeutic, but my hands are so busy with other things that I've never plied or finished a skein. Once I have the skein finished, I will probably just keep it on display somewhere and never knit with it LOL

Here is a photo of two of the four chicks I hatched last week. The other two are pretty weak, I'm not sure if they'll make it. The kids named these guys Blondie and Angel Eyes. Tuco is one of the weaker ones. :( These two come out when I make my feeding sound, but the other two are hiding in the little cave.

[​IMG]

I grafted all four onto my broody silkie last night. She was sitting on three golf ball dummies I used to try & induce broodiness and three of her own eggs. When candling, the eggs were really dark inside!! So I put them in the incubator with another batch I'm just setting now.

I checked on her this morning. At dawn, I heard something like the egg song but repeated for longer and more...excited. I peeked into her box and made the feeding sound. Blondie and Angel Eyes poked their heads up from between her feathers (the silkie gave me some stink-eye)! It was super cute, but of course I didn't have the camera/phone. It is not unusual for the other chicks to not respond to me, so I can't tell how they're doing. But at least they weren't kicked out of the nest. It appears the graft is going well.

Starting another batch of barnyard eggs, about half should be olive eggers. :) Hoping the lessons I think I've learned with the hatch make me a better hatcher/incubator.

Welcome, newcomers!

6. ejb3810

ejb3810 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2010
    Northern Minnesota
    Well Ralphie Boy it is time for you to determine exactly what you have there in those exotic turkeys ! Then you must pen the pair where it is possible to collect the eggs for hatching and either sell them for gold bullion or expand the flock to generate additional producers. One must capitalize on the turkeys which lay the golden eggs !
    I am not that fond of turkeys, but those ones do have a look to them.
    I would suggest that you not share with the little woman the concept of the turkeys going to someone who would know better what to do with them. She may suggest that the whole poultry flock could be liquidated using the same logic ??? You know how the fairer sex can be from time to time !

1 person likes this.
  7. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

This is true.

I am thinking they are just turkeys that resemble fancy rare turkeys. BUT just in case I am going to go steal Ethels eggs today and put them in the incubator. I might move them into the Guinea Gulag and kick the blues out. The person on the turkey talk 2000-2100 made a good argument for them not being just mutts.

I am wondering through how the people I got them from got their hands on them if they are not mutts. Jbensen knows the people I think she would agree, it is hard to believe they would have a rare or even quality bird.

8. nordicacres

nordicacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2015
    South Central MN

You are too modest! Clearly you care about your poultry and take great care of them. If they are rare (I know nothing of turkeys!) just sell some eggs or poults to others who want to preserve the breed :). Where did you get them in the first place?

9. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

I got them from some people in New Brighton, They were advertised as "slate blues". When I got them you could not really tell what they were, they were forced to live under a deck in about 18-24 inches of rotting wet manure. Most of the feathers were broken or missing.

I got three but one hen died within a few weeks. When the feathers started growing out and I had some blues from a reputable breeder I could tell then were not the same birds. I called them slate reds thinking that's what they were. When I posted pictures on BYC (last year) people would say things like " I have no idea what they are" "They are not blues" " they could be reds but they look funny" and stuff like that. SO I just kept calling them red slates.

I went to porters turkey site and saw the lilacs and saw they looked like them but they said they were rare and Porters was not currently selling them. So I figured they were mutts and they still could be, then I was told yesterday they were rare turkeys and lilacs.

I guess there is a lilac look sorta like, but even that is not common. Read the last couple days in the turkey talk 2000=2100 to see what was said. I really do not know anything about turkeys or chicken breeds at all, I just know I like having them around.

I went out in the brambles, got all scratched up and got Ethel's eggs. She had 11 which is convenient as I have 12 empty holes in the incubators until the 12th when I get more holes open. I will try to hatch these and give her a chance to practice hiding the eggs better. It is still early so she has time.

10. Bogtown Chick

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Fishzole (Flagyl) would be the treatment for Blackhead. I thought when you mentioned the nest next to the swamp you may be worried about that and thus the need to lock 'em up.

I think I may have just misinterpretted your post.

Last edited: May 4, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by