Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by foxhollow, Jul 17, 2008.

1. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

That is turkeys!

Mine are overly friendly with guests. They want to be the center of attention. I can never figure if they are truly stupid or cunning like a fox, they always seem to get what they want.

2. Cearbhael

Cearbhael Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2015
    ROFLMAO, I was told by a farmer that Turkey's are so dumb and such lemmings, that if there is a barrel of water one will jump in and the rest will follow until no more can squeeze in. All of them drowning or smothering. That tale leaped out with incredible clarity when I read your post. I take it that farmer was telling the truth!

3. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Thank you Aussie. It's crazy the outpouring for our lost pooch. DH and I both got sympathy cards at work from co workers. Apparently there was something else that came after I left Friday. And today in the grocery store another work acquaintance from a previous job walked over and gave her sympathy. Something about those dogs. I think people "pay it forward" that unconditional love they get from their dogs. Or something..,

I could never be Mensa because I just learned what it was.... Today. Im done for the day.

Woohoo! I think Aussie is in Nowthen ...yes.
    Sorry about double secret probation for cussing. I'm really good at it myself and the unfortunate thing of it is is so are my kids. They are so good and have such a knack for chosing choice moments for it I can hardly get mad. They're borderline artful with it. Lmao.
    But there are moments when it's embarrassing and I need to rein them in so we don't look like complete heathens. They are teenagers so mostly the response is complete sympathy...but the friends that know their mother well .... Well...

Yesterday during the heat we ran right down to one egg. Today I knew that rooster would blow out of that coop rip roaring. Sure enough on the cooler day we got back up to 5 eggs out of 7 laying. Boy is Rog ever a snake in the grass today though.

4. ejb3810

ejb3810 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2010
    Northern Minnesota
    Bogtown, rough language is not uncommon on Da Range. Thus it would be difficult to break children of the habit of using it.
    I can't even break my wife from the habit, and it usually results from some event that she concludes I have caused ?
    Ralphie I laughed out loud after reading your post regarding Ole and how he might cause his own death, although you did not write the words.
    I don't know about the Alpacas or Llamas either. They have a look to them but are not very easy to manage I don't think.
    I had a friend that was a whiz with poultry and also had a herd of white Llamas which he had developed. It seemed that the Llamas were a lot of work and expense without much income generated.

5. Bogtown Chick

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Hahaha EJB. Well we're not on the range but close enough. We're rural and cold. municiple liquor store is about the only business in our town in the black... Much like the range. Our school district plays range schools in our conference. Close enough. ;)

I too was laughing at the vision of Ole with 2 x's for eyes but with a smile on his beak. Lucky roosters.

The kids know better to cuss in front of me. And they chew me out for it. But sometimes I catch them with their friends and the linguistic skills are highly impressive. Their father is 10 x worse than their mother. They didnt have a chance in H-E- double hockey sticks to be of a more gentile nature.

6. aimlessego

aimlessego Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2015
    Elk river here!

1 person likes this.
  7. Cearbhael

Cearbhael Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2015
    Hail from Lake Vermilion here, still got 2 brothers up on "Da Range".1 in Mt Iron and 1 in Chisholm. Always killed me that Rangers sounded more like Canadiens than Americans. Maybe it is all that Hockey!
    Llamas can be used as Fibre animals is they have a super soft downy coat. They make great guard dogs and will run off predators (won't trample the chickens) I also thought the were supposed to be a good meat animal but may be wrong there. The do make excellent pack animals. Related to camels so YES they do spit. My sis LOVES Llamas, I prefer Alpaca myself. But then I spin yarn.

1 person likes this.
  8. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    I neighbor. welcome to the site and thread.

9. Bogtown Chick

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    [​IMG] and the "Minnesota!"Thread @aimlessego

10. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    I was told on another thread JJ and Ethel are rare turkeys.

Does anyone here know anything about them?

I called them red slate or slate reds and I was told they were not and they are Lilacs... Then I read this on a Lilac thread.

Quote: So who was it in the SPPA that first called them a three way cross in the 1998 census?

Lilac:

Lilacs are silvery blue with red flecking, wings are white and the tail has a wide band of red. This is an old variety that actually produces four color types. When breeding Lilac to Lilac, only 1/4 of the offspring will be Lilac. Another 1/4 will be fawn (tan colored), which will breed true. Another 1/4 will be red slate (slate with reddish tint and red tail), which will breed true. The last 1/4 will be a light bronze color. Just 13 hens and 11 toms were listed which makes up less than 1% of the Historical turkey population reported. The largest flock has 5 hens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by