Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by foxhollow, Jul 17, 2008.

1. scandiafowl

scandiafowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2015
    Minnesota
    After much fussing and fretting they have started to hatch!

Our first one, Ludwig, needed 30 minutes to hatch. The force is strong with this one.[​IMG]

2. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    I so do like the fast ones! Grats

3. Cyrus83

Cyrus83 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2013
    Chisago/Forest Lake
    I went walk about in the Dakotas for a few weeks and now Im back and have a gardening question. do we have any garden guru's here? My neighbor with a tractor and tiller came over and tilled up a 60x30 foot area and then I round up'd the whole area. Do I really need to get all the chunks of dead sod out of there or because most of them got tilled under will it just decompose? Ive been raking and pitch forking it out and my back is all messed up now and I don't want to finish. My DW's idea of "we should plant a big garden" has turned into me raking, hoeing, and shoveling till I can barely move. But I'm sure she'll help pick the fruits of "OUR" labor.

4. Cyrus83

May 8, 2013
    Chisago/Forest Lake
    But she did let me spend a bunch of dough on a new zero turn mower!! [​IMG]

5. Mine just let be buy a new Toro. But of course I am remodeling our entire kitchen.....

6. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

This sounds like an ungoing debate around here. I do most the gardening, I belief in getting most the weeds, or enough so they do not bother the crop too much..

Others around here think I should get all the weeds....

7. Cyrus83

May 8, 2013
    Chisago/Forest Lake
    Ive been pitch forking that dirt for two days and a case of beer and my back is killing me. when Im walking I look like a frog that stood up and put on a pair of pants.

8. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    There is no doubt you have done enough lump moving...

9. Rhetts

Rhetts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    Cyrus you lucky bum!! Spring is my favorite time of year to visit South Dakota. We haven't been able to go in 3 no 4 years now!! UGH. It used to be a yearly vacation for us. As far as gardening goes I know nothing. Last year was my first year and I was told just take out the big chunks since it was mosty tilled. Well, it sucked big time trying to weed. Basically a lost cause towards the end despite our best efforts. I am still learning.

Raphie-I am unsuccessful in finding the turkey nest. 'If" a person were going to consider penning up a free range turkey, would it be around the clock or until the egg is laid? How big does turkey housing need to be? I think I might just have to give up on hopes of turkey poults.

10. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

I am guessing it would be an al day lock up, as your turkey will just hold off laying the egg until she is free. They are tricky little buggers..

I had Ethel and JJ locked up but they cried and made a fuss until my DW turned them lose.

Finding turkey nests is a pain. It takes several days of watching and then tracking and watching from that point. If you are lucky you will see her on the nest. finding the eggs is near impossible.

For just a tom and hen you would need, I am guessing a 20x20 covered pen.

Last edited: May 7, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by