Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by foxhollow, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    I agree. That is the case sometimes. I toss eggs that I think are too small for people eating or just crack them and let the birds have a little extra treat right there.
    That is the case also when crossing up the bantam hens with LF roosters. If you end up with chicks that are too large for the shell, they tend to perish before they can postition.

2. aussiegal318

aussiegal318 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2012
    Minnesota
    Welcome Scandiafowl! Congrats!

3. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    I hate to say it, but if this is the first year from sod to garden, you have LOTS of grass and weeds to pull. Make your rows wide enough to get a walk behind tiller through and hand weed between plants. That is my advice. We do some huge gardens and I know from experience, trying to get more rows to cram more stuff in the garden is futile. You will hate it. And if your back hurts now? Wait until you have been weeding on your hands and knees for hours. We don't use chemicals of any kind near our gardens, so sometimes it does get away from us. Last year we had a jungle in the tomatoes, but with 60 tomato plants and as many peppers, it was insane while trying to do all my poultry stuff. This year, I am doing things a little differently though and cutting back on both ends so I can enjoy more of the birds and the blooms and the fruits of labor. Also, mulch, mulch and more mulch with help keep those weeds down. We have had success in the past with taking paper grocery bags, or feed bags, and then dumping grass clippings on those for mulching down the weeds.
    BUT speaking of fruits....
    My DH dragged me (like I would need dragging) to go shopping for fruit trees and perennials at Sagents in Red Wing. We are going back tomorrow with the trailer to bring home at least 4 fruit trees - pears, plums, and if i have my way, cherries. We already have 9 apple trees (which we have lost our property map showing which is what variety). We had to remove several big, old silver maples in the last few years, so now we are also planting to replace those areas with something other than more grass to mow. I just bought us a new John Deere lawn tractor last year to do the 8+ hours of mowing we have weekly, and even though we all love driving it, we DON'T need more grass.
    We are both certain, my DH and I that I have lost all sense of reality and I live in a dream world where I can do EVERYthing there is to do around our property. LOL!!

4. aussiegal318

May 26, 2012
    Minnesota
    So many exciting events happening! Puppies!!! Congratulations @Bogtown & @Coldupnorth. I love puppy training, start them out right from the beginning & have a great dog for the rest of their life.

@Rhetts & @holm25 congrats on the ducks/eggs.

And really I lost track on the turkey talk, so anyone that has turkeys hatching, woohoo! @duluthralphie your turkeys are beautiful.

Gotta love Spring! Can you tell I'm catching up again. BYC isn't real mobile friendly & I don't get on the computer that often anymore.

1 person likes this.
  5. aussiegal318

May 26, 2012
    Minnesota
    Fruit trees require a happy dance! I understand the mowing situation. When we mow the front field, it's 5+ hrs. I have a couple of scary hills that I leave for my fearless son to mow. We have a commercial Steiner & I scares me on those hills. It started sliding one time on me so I just ran it into a tree & got my son. He rode a controlled skid down the hill. My vote is to get rid of the grass on that steep slope & to fence off the other hill for the Alpacas. I guess I can keep dreaming.

6. Cyrus83

Cyrus83 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2013
    Chisago/Forest Lake
    Unfortunately I wasn't in the Dakotas for pleasure, but rather to upgrade some AT&T cell towers. The Dakotas are about the worst place on the planet to go climb towers, the wind is always howling and most of them are 300 or more feet tall. I had to go up one that was 600 and to boot it had FM broadcast antennas on it so I had to wear a ghost buster looking RF protection suit so I wouldn't get radiation and lose my ability to produce children. So I guess all in all I'm happy to be back home too my lady, kids, chickens and soon to be groovy garden. But I do love the western Dakotas for fun visiting, beautiful country.

7. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    I have toads! (one toad) Just to refresh you Toads are CX and Dixie rainbow chicks.

Here are the proud mother(s):

[​IMG]

And here is the proud father on receiving the news:

[​IMG]

And here is the baby:

[​IMG]

I am so glad I have this chicken genetics down pat!

2 people like this.
  8. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

I cannot really think of anyplace I would call a "good" place to climb a tower....

That is why God made helicopters, so people would no longer need to climb.

Last edited: May 8, 2015
  9. lalaland

lalaland Overrun With Chickens

Sep 26, 2008
    Pine County MN
    Ralphie, thats so cool!!! congrats

10. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

I am a little worried, I failed, that appears to be Ernie's chick. ( I was saying that tongue and cheek) I have more eggs hatching today including some CLs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by