Minnesota!

I hate to say it, but if this is the first year from sod to garden, you have LOTS of grass and weeds to pull. Make your rows wide enough to get a walk behind tiller through and hand weed between plants. That is my advice. We do some huge gardens and I know from experience, trying to get more rows to cram more stuff in the garden is futile. You will hate it. And if your back hurts now? Wait until you have been weeding on your hands and knees for hours. We don't use chemicals of any kind near our gardens, so sometimes it does get away from us. Last year we had a jungle in the tomatoes, but with 60 tomato plants and as many peppers, it was insane while trying to do all my poultry stuff. This year, I am doing things a little differently though and cutting back on both ends so I can enjoy more of the birds and the blooms and the fruits of labor. Also, mulch, mulch and more mulch with help keep those weeds down. We have had success in the past with taking paper grocery bags, or feed bags, and then dumping grass clippings on those for mulching down the weeds.
BUT speaking of fruits....
My DH dragged me (like I would need dragging) to go shopping for fruit trees and perennials at Sagents in Red Wing. We are going back tomorrow with the trailer to bring home at least 4 fruit trees - pears, plums, and if i have my way, cherries. We already have 9 apple trees (which we have lost our property map showing which is what variety). We had to remove several big, old silver maples in the last few years, so now we are also planting to replace those areas with something other than more grass to mow. I just bought us a new John Deere lawn tractor last year to do the 8+ hours of mowing we have weekly, and even though we all love driving it, we DON'T need more grass.
We are both certain, my DH and I that I have lost all sense of reality and I live in a dream world where I can do EVERYthing there is to do around our property. LOL!!
minniechickmama,

fruit trees, thats wonderful and a new lawn tractor, wow!great. When you get ready to plant the trees, use a closet door for your map of what tree is what fruit....you know, like some people use their closet doors to measure their kids growth.... mine is full of misc info: I keep a bird list, a critter list, an event list, the dimensions of the house and the run, driveway, coop, etc. Also a list of dates for first frost, first snow, first junco, first frog chorus, first hummingbird, first woodpecker drumming, first bloom on the peonies. For each year a tick mark for each time the driveway had to be plowed. And then the boring stuff: dates the septic was cleaned, the stove chimney cleaned. I've been here 8 years now and it is really fun to hae that info handy.

my favorite is an entry on the event list: I happened to be outside at night looking at stars on my way to the coop. And the stars moved backwards in kind of a circular motion. I couldn't believe my eyes. I kept watching and it happened on a smaller scale two more times, and then the stars stood still like they are supposed to do. I was wondering if I was getting faint and couldn't figure it out. Next morning I saw that the chilean earthquake had happened at that same time, and that the earth's axis actually shifted with the quake. I just happened to be watching the stars at the right time!

We're headed up to the Oliver H. Kelley farm tomorrow in Elk River. Anyone ever been? Anything else must do/see in that area for families? I think the famed farm store is up that way, correct?

We're headed up to the Oliver H. Kelley farm tomorrow in Elk River. Anyone ever been? Anything else must do/see in that area for families? I think the famed farm store is up that way, correct?

Ramsey Feed and Seed is about 5 miles (a guess) from the Kelley Farm.

I live here so I think there is nothing to do, but I am most likely wrong. I think there is some kind of historical museum or farm in Becker too. I am not sure what the county historical society is there somewhere.

You could go to the site of one of the first nuclear power plants, but unless you are an old timer like me you would have no idea where it is an what it looks like. It was ripped down over 40 years ago at least.

I Suppose you could come and see my famed beer fridge and chicken morgue where I lay my slayed chickens to rest for a few days..

Last edited:
I just set 50+ eggs in the bator 4 of which r from my white Pekins. I have my fingers crossed.

one thing I've seen for weedy big gardens...though a bit on the unsightly side of it... but is to go to a recycle place and pick out currogated cardboard and lay that down on your rows. that will keep weeds down for sure. You'll just have to weed in between the plants only then.

Congrats Ralphie on baby toad. She's lovely and she is highly suspect on her parentage I would say too. Oh well what would we expect coming from your Chicken TV program, "Young and the Roostless." Have those girls been hanging with the White Rock with questionable morals?

I need to get a tiller through that garden of mine and start planting! Time is getting away from me. This will be the earliest I've planted up here. Can't wait!

Aussiegal if my son had not stolen my trailer I would come down and till your garden. I have a 445 john deere garden tractor with a 5 ft tiller it works good on small gardens, I even do my 3 acre field with it.

I went to Runnings today to get feed for the birds. I have to go to Florida for a few weeks so I am trying to get things lined up so my DW can take care of my birds when I am gone. I might have made an error there. They had white and Bronze turkeys 2 for the price of one. I know my turkeys will be too small at Thanksgiving, so, I bought 2, which means I got 4... I hope it was a safe move.

BUT they made me sign a book saying I was getting poults for the USDA, it is like gun registration! Now I need to go make a brooder for them. Silly me, I am hoping my DW does not notice I actually bought turkeys.

I wish I had not found a local runnings store, it is dangerous for me.

Bogtown, lucky for me I have tons of boxes around still from the move so I've been cutting them to size and laying them in the rows today. Its been several days since I gave it a bath in roundup and I see no weeds acting green. So after yesterdays heavy rain I think I'll be safe to start planting tomorrow. Ralphie do you ever visit that Green Valley garden center? I went in there yesterday and almost felt high from the awesome flower smells and high levels of oxygen.

Bogtown, lucky for me I have tons of boxes around still from the move so I've been cutting them to size and laying them in the rows today. Its been several days since I gave it a bath in roundup and I see no weeds acting green. So after yesterdays heavy rain I think I'll be safe to start planting tomorrow. Ralphie do you ever visit that Green Valley garden center? I went in there yesterday and almost felt high from the awesome flower smells and high levels of oxygen.

No, where is that?

I just looked in my hatcher, I have all kinds of fuzzy butts, including one little creamette girl!

Last edited:
I just looked in my hatcher, I have all kinds of fuzzy butts, including one little creamette girl!
thumbsup.gif

Cyrus. Maybe hose down the cardboard too...so it kind of limbers it up a bit and may stay put better for ya.

congrats on the fuzzy butts Ralphie and of course the diamond encrusted one too..... Creamettes...LOL...still cracks me up and is so catchy...
lau.gif
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom