Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by foxhollow, Jul 17, 2008.

1. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    I heard that too, but I want a full sized bird, Aren't silkies a "toy" breed, like a bantie.

2. Scott16475

Scott16475 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have our 6 new chick's born in March in an old rabbit hutch (legs were removed from the hutch so it now sits on the ground) and I decided it was time to start the introduction of them and the four adult girls. The adult girls walked over to the hutch to see what the peep noise was and after less than 2 minutes they had no interest in the 6 new girls. None.

I read how difficult it can be when mixing two groups into one but the fact the adult hens found no interest in the young girls must be a good sign, right? Right? ....;)

3. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    Ralph Cochin bantams r MUCH better broodies than standard but we only have 1 standard hen. She might just be crazy. But today she is still sitting in a nest box after 2 days.

4. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

I would think so, I have a wire "tractor" I use to introduce the new guys with and a dog cage I put in the coop at night so they get to know each other. Of course, the only new ones I have introduced were Ole and Ed. Ole, being the ladies man he is, has made himself well known and sleeps in the coop. Ed who has become the "head" rooster (I think) still refuses to sleep in that coop. He goes back to the other coop (now Bert's coop) to seep every night. Even after the dog cage Ed decided to not stay with the girls.

I am going to get a new picture of Ole to show you with a picture of Ole when I got him. Ole has had most of his tail feathers pulled off, he looks terrible, he is constantly being knocked off the hens by Ed or Ernie and they are no longer gentle with him. He just refuses to learn, I still see him chasing a girl all day long. The Girl squawks and Ed or Ernie come to the rescue.

As I said before Ole will kill himself from his actions.

5. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

How many real full size eggs can you get under a bantam?

6. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    I fit 6-7 under my banty Cochin. But she might be half standard and half bantam.

7. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Ralphie, if you want a Cochin or two, I have some to sell off. I have 4 broodies in the pen right now. Come on down! If I had known sooner, I could have planned to meet with you in Minnetonka this evening. My daughter has a dance thing going on there at 6:00.

8. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    It all depends on the individual birds. Some hens will even hatch their own eggs then turn around and kill the chicks, while others are just the perfect mothers. Same with roosters, some will even sit in a nest with chickens (I have only heard, never seen it myself) while others will attack chicks. It will also depend on the protectiveness of the mother hen, so hens you just don't mess with and everyone knows it.

9. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    I have always said that Silkies are the "Yorkies" of the chicken world. While probably not practical in a flock of larger birds or free ranging if they have a large crest on their head... I have a buff silkie that has earned my respect for being a determined broody momma, raising chicks magnificently and holding her own with a standard flock and free ranging. She goes broody probably 6-8 times a year.

10. Scott16475

Scott16475 Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks, everyone. I'll let you know if something changes. It'd be nice for something to go off without a bunch of fighting and turning into a bloodbath.

Last edited: May 10, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by