Minnesota!

I am glad to see we are not raising a juvenile delinquent here.... I will try to get a picture of the new girls soon. I am glad to hear this, I put 34 eggs in the hatcher today, I was very disappoint with the way they looked. I do not think any of the guinea eggs are viable and only a few turkey eggs are. Hopefully I will get more creamettes this week. And completely off the chicken track, I took this picture this evening at my feeders, I was so impressed, 5 grosbeaks, a cardinal, a goldfinch and an indigo bunting all at the same time.
Lol. My grandma LOVED Indigo Buntings. They were her favorite birds.

Last edited:
That's exactly why I love my comfy Minnesota thread. Like minded people with like minded manners--humility. I'm proud if and love my hatchery birds( my first) . SOP fights on threads....blech. Plus I was never a 4-Her or shower so I don't even know how to talk about what I got. I will tout the benefits of getting directly from a breeder however just because hatchery stock seem to have reproductive issues in hens and fighting aggressive roosters. What I'm looking for is laying longevity in my hens and kind roosters ( to me and my hens). These are feathered friends- not bragging pieces for me. Although I do marvel at the couple birds I've got from Minnie and Triplell. I see the difference. But I understand the ease of going to L&M or TSC. I was there before, too. And my originals are beloved.

Ralphie I'll keep my CCLs. I'm a walking mess of contradiction aren't I?! I do love EEs with their delightful myriad if feather colors, variation on blue green eggs, cute beards. But my Ees just didn't last very long for laying eggs. I know you you know I'm smarter than that but I give you A for effort.

My coop may be too shady for hops but I think I'm going to get some grape vines.

That's exactly why I love my comfy Minnesota thread. Like minded people with like minded manners--humility. I'm proud if and love my hatchery birds( my first) . SOP fights on threads....blech. Plus I was never a 4-Her or shower so I don't even know how to talk about what I got. I will tout the benefits of getting directly from a breeder however just because hatchery stock seem to have reproductive issues in hens and fighting aggressive roosters. What I'm looking for is laying longevity in my hens and kind roosters ( to me and my hens). These are feathered friends- not bragging pieces for me. Although I do marvel at the couple birds I've got from Minnie and Triplell. I see the difference. But I understand the ease of going to L&M or TSC. I was there before, too. And my originals are beloved.

Ralphie I'll keep my CCLs. I'm a walking mess of contradiction aren't I?! I do love EEs with their delightful myriad if feather colors, variation on blue green eggs, cute beards. But my Ees just didn't last very long for laying eggs. I know you you know I'm smarter than that but I give you A for effort.

My coop may be too shady for hops but I think I'm going to get some grape vines.

Can't blame a guy for trying, I got that quote from Ole. How long did your EE lay?

The grape vines is a good idea, I should try them too, I was thinking pumpkins, but the weight could be too much.

Last edited:
Bogtown, my 6 yr old hen is an ee and lays beautiful blue, not green, eggs. She's from mcmurray's. Her sister was taken by a hawk at age 4 and was still laying....so maybe I lucked out.

Ralphie, love the pic. For some reason up here, cardinals are just occasional birds, so I'm envious. I like when there are "all colors" at the feeders - extra points for orioles, buntings, redheaded woodpeckers, yellow finches and hummers at the same time. Now if there was only a good native green bird at the feeders!

The 3 EEs I got left laid no longer than 15 months old. So they laid like bonkers in their first fall, and then that next spring (January-July) summer break-nada, first molt-nada, wormed every body just in case-nada. 3 years old now- nada since that 15-16 month age. Same brooder mates-- SLW and BA going strong. Don't know why. As I've heard others with good longevity in their EEs.

The 3 EEs I got left laid no longer than 15 months old. So they laid like bonkers in their first fall, and then that next spring (January-July) summer break-nada, first molt-nada, wormed every body just in case-nada. 3 years old now- nada since that 15-16 month age. Same brooder mates-- SLW and BA going strong. Don't know why. As I've heard others with good longevity in their EEs.

Where did your EE's come from?

Mine are from Hoover's hatchery in Iowa.

They're loving all these puddles. Funny ducks

I have had 3EEs that are at 7 months. A couple of months ago I was even getting some double yolkers. But now they just lay once in every few days. They went through a patch of laying just shelless eggs too. I don't know if that is over or not.

I have been reading this thread for a little while. I am very impressed with how much you guys know and do with birds!!

I am glad to see we are not raising a juvenile delinquent here.... I will try to get a picture of the new girls soon. I am glad to hear this, I put 34 eggs in the hatcher today, I was very disappoint with the way they looked. I do not think any of the guinea eggs are viable and only a few turkey eggs are. Hopefully I will get more creamettes this week. And completely off the chicken track, I took this picture this evening at my feeders, I was so impressed, 5 grosbeaks, a cardinal, a goldfinch and an indigo bunting all at the same time.
What a pretty bunch of birds indigo buntings are SOOO BLUE!!

Back
Top Bottom