Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by foxhollow, Jul 17, 2008.

1. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    He just broke a feather. But I'm not using anything to treat it I just left it. But I was making sure he didn't have cocci.

2. Rhetts

Rhetts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    @Dandelioness Best of luck with the arrival of your new little one!! How very exciting!! Feed bags for weeding? I think I have learned my one new thing for the day. I have not gotten anything done in the garden. Now with all this rain I fear it will be June before I get in there!!

3. Rhetts

Rhetts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    Ah yes, broken feathers. We have a golden polish who is bottom of the pecking order and we discovered her outside a few days ago bleeding from her tail area. The others have managed to break off many of her pin feathers which were bleeding. The bleeding stopped with flour so I didn't need to pull any. She was separated for a few days to get her strength back. Why do they always have to pick on someone to the point of blood! Super frustrating. What am I supposed to do with those broken pin feathers that bleed anyway. Should I be pulling them out or leave them alone if they stop bleeding?

As far as cocci goes I have no experience so I can't help with that one.

4. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    I pull the bloody ones mine get. I didn't pull that one though. Thanks for the help[​IMG]

5. coldupnorth

coldupnorth Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    N. MN
    I use our paper feed bags between rows in my garden and then top with sand or leaves or grass clippings (not when the dandelions are in bloom or going to seed). By the next Spring I can just till it all back into the soil. I still have to do some weeding within the rows but it cuts down much of the labor. My garden is not in yet this year either. It usually is the last week in May or first week in June before I can feel comfortable planting it (thanks to east winds off Superior). I generally have good luck with most crops unless we get a early freeze mid August. Tomatos are now grown in a old hoop coop that we are no longer using. Just some plastic over the top and I have a decent little hothouse!

6. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    I like to allow the weeds to grow and be higher than my veggies. By doing this I am protecting my veggies from the hot afternoon sun and shading the ground to conserve water...

Not everyone here ( my home) is in favor of my gardening method.

And look what visited me today. I do not think I have ever seen this bird before, or if I did I never realized how beautiful it is. ( I have only been feeding birds a few years now.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  7. FoxyChicken

FoxyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2013
    NE MN
    Ralphie that's a scarlet tanager you lucky dog!

8. coldupnorth

coldupnorth Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    N. MN
    How lucky are you to have a Scarlet Tanager as a visitor! Never had them at my feeder but I have seen them in the woods before (not here). They are so beautiful!

9. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    Did you two have to cheat to look up the species like I did?

10. FoxyChicken

FoxyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2013
    NE MN
    Nope, that has been on my husband's bird bucket list for years... they're not very common way up nort here ya know

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by