Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by foxhollow, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Chicken Obsessed

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    We are illegal in most states did you know that?! Lol. Minnesota is not the strictest on redneck trains though. Go figure!

We love red lake mike. Sometimes it gives love back with walleyes. And sometimes... Sheep heads!

2. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    I just sold all the hatching eggs I had stocked up!![​IMG] Is $2.50 a dozen cheap??

3. Dandelioness

Dandelioness Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2014
    East Central MN
    Hello & Welcome to the newcomers on the thread! :)

Well, it only took me 2.5 hours to catch up on everything!

Kittens and poults and peaches, Oh My!

Thanks for the advice, folks - those chicks are still in the phase where they sorta sleep and then peep and then take a teensy bite of something and then take a nap. There is no way they will be able to keep up with those older chicks! But the older ones were running around peeping by their second day. I have a run I can confine mom & all the chicks into for a little bit - I've been leaving the door open and enjoying mom & the two older chicks venturing out. But, tomorrow night or Friday morning I will introduce those three new chicks. If I do it at night, I'll have to get up at the crack of dawn to check on them. If I do it during the day, I'm worried they won't have her scent on them & she'll be less likely to take them. So I haven't decided exactly how, but I will try adding those chicks to her brood. I will post updates for sure.

I am almost done putting the garden in. Feed bags and chicken bedding are doing my weeding for me in some areas. I have other areas where a portable pen is being utilized for separating breeders, I have them mob grazing the areas where my squashes & pumpkins will go. So trying to use my brains and my chickens instead of hoeing it all like I normally do. I think if it works out I will have them do my work every spring.

Trying to get things on auto-pilot around here, as much as possible. The baby is getting big (gestational diabetes with this one), and I will likely be induced next weekend if I haven't delivered. Lots of friends and family to give me a hand when the time comes, but I am trying to get everything organized so it's easier for everyone.

I sure enjoy reading about all the flock antics and such!

Ralphie, I am so glad you have some good numbers of creamettes and toads!

And all the strutting turkeys! LOL

Holm, I just sell my eggs at the going "eating eggs" rate, since I'm not a breeder. I think your price is fine, as long as they know you're a "just" a backyarder. Your ducks look great. I am considering adding some ducks. Probably not this year, though. ;)

4. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    If you have another place to put a questionably sick bird, you are best to not put it in the brooding area. IF your older bird were sick, then you have risked infecting that area. When I went through the state testing class, one thing they pointed out is to keep birds going "up" with older birds, not "down" with younger ones, especially when there may be an illness. Whatever may be bothering your hen would be harder to fight by a younger bird and may actually kill it, so it is best to use that rule as your biosecurity plan for keeping them healthy. Ideally, you should have an isolation area for new birds or for sick ones to keep away from the rest of the flock. I did say Ideally, so if you don't, you have to find a way to make due, right?
    All that being said, I bet she is just irritated with the roller coaster weather we have had the last several months. I have a couple that sneeze whenever I feed them and they start eating. The food has fines, but it is not dusty, but still they have dry feed they are wolfing down and need to drink water in between mouthfuls or something. The worse one is a BLRW who isn't laying for beans and is going on 4 years, so she is going to be offered up for dinner to someone soon.

1 person likes this.
  5. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Welcome to the new folks! I had to catch up on 44 messages tonight! Don't you folks have lives?!?!?! LOL!
    I spent part of the day calling other states about importing chicks, part of it planting strawberry plants and onions, and part of it as teenage taxi driver, and part doing chores and unloading feed, and then the rest of the early evening making some weasel trap boxes to kill that little (*(*^*&%*%^(&( that killed another pen! I think that makes about 20 that thing has taken out since the end of winter. I had some traps out after the first round but thought that the tractors must have sent it back to where it came from down by the pond in the field. I was wrong. I made two of the trap boxes with the super duper Tomcat rat traps inside and some rabbit kidneys I thawed out. I hope I get something in them tonight! I also need to get all the grass that is growing like bamboo out in the chicken area so they don't have any cover to hide in. Then I need to find me a fake owl that has eyes that come on and makes hooting sounds every few minutes. I had never had a weasel kill chickens until once last summer. Then it came back late winter and took out a pen of Cornish, now these were the best looking Cochins I have ever hatched and were going on 4-months old, plus some Buckeyes and an EE that just turned into a cockerel this last week. I swear it is a transgender cuz it was a pullet last week!!! ;)

It is supposed to rain tomorrow, so I got what I could done in the garden for now, but I am not happy that the brassica (cabbage and broccoli family) stuff has not come up yet. I should have started them in the house, but got behind so put them in direct. I don't think the cold has been the problem either, and they usually are the first thing to pop up. I do have some chard, beets and radishes coming up though. We have also been enjoying quite a bit of asparagus. I just wish I had some morels to cut up and sautee with them and some scrambled eggs!
    I am also a bit worried that my potatoes are not coming up yet. I planted them about the same time as I seeded the other stuff. Maybe the cooler weather just has things going slower than the last couple of years where we jumped from winter straight on to summer. It is kind of nice having a good Spring for a change.

I will be happy to report how the peaches do, in about 3 years! LOL I am sure it will be at least that long before we see any fruit on this thing. It is a nice healthy tree and my husband is good at treating trees right. I am just hoping we can keep the cherry trees going. We have tried them in the past and ended up losing them going into the third year, after them being super healthy and strong up to that point.

Dandelioness- good luck with the little one and your pending delivery. I hope yours goes as easy as my second one. Then again, he was easy to give birth to, just has been a pain in the rear for the last year (he's 16).

gofeedthegirls- a couple of excellent breeds for cold weather are Buckeyes and Chanteclers. My preference is the Bucks, but I think Ed will say the Chanteclers are better ;) Both were developed to be cold weather birds. The Buckeyes have a pea comb and very slight wattles, and the Chanteclers a cushion comb and slight wattles, both are good things to consider to save yourself worry over frostbite. I do keep larger single combed breeds, but they do get hit every winter, but to a much lesser degree if they are kept DRY! There are plenty of folks here that have experience with the cold and their chickens, so you will get good advice on that. I don't recommend heat lamps in anything but brooders for chicks, so I will say that. Heating a coop can do as much harm as good if you don't watch very closely how it is effecting the environment. Condensation will not only cause frostbite, but it can make your birds sick too, so you need to be careful if you go that route.
    Good luck with your biddies and welcome to the crazy club of chicken enablers!
    Oh, and Ducks too!
    And turkeys.
    Okay, and guineas and geese!

6. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Chicken Obsessed

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Dandelioness: my thoughts are with you as you get close to the end here with your baby. Gestational Diabetes Dr.'s keep Moms on their toes with their diets and such...but it all pretty much sorts itself out from a few friends that had it happen to them. I was so surprised too that it happened to these particular Moms. I think it is indiscriminate because my two friends were in excellent health/shape. IDK. Your in a great state for healthcare and all will go well with the baby I'm sure.

Minnie! Those dang weasels! Huh. Do you think its just one wise one or are you suspicious for multiple? I wonder if they are still white now with black tips or if they've transitioned to their summer browns. I think the hides are valuable in white with black tips.

Ralphie; where are you going to keep all these birds?! holy mackinoli!

7. ejb3810

ejb3810 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2010
    Northern Minnesota
    Welcome to all the new people. You will find the entertainment provided by Ralphie is worth the price of admission alone.
    Mike in Thief River you need some Chanteclers. They have cushion combs so no frost damage and were developed specifically for hardiness and productivity in harsh Northern climates. I believe they are much better looking chickens than many breeds as well.
    When I have completed my Royal Purple egg layer project I think I will develop a strain of Chanteclers that lay an egg the color of those from Marans.

8. Blackberry18

Blackberry18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2015
    Minnesota
    Really? Ducks are better layers? I suppose for Muscovies and Khaki Campbells (I really want some!). But others only lay 60-100 per year, tops. Some lay less, too. I've heard duck eggs are huge.

9. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    Our Cayuga's laid around 4-5 a week but our Pekin hen will lay for 3 weeks without missing a day then she will take a day off. But after that she's right back to laying.

Minnie I'm sorry you lost another pen to the dang weasles. I would sit out there with a 12 or 20 gauge and just wait for them.

10. Blackberry18

Blackberry18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2015
    Minnesota
    That's pretty good for a Pekin. Do they lay during a certain season. One of my mom's friends had some geese, and they only laid in the spring.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by