Minnesota!

Ive got..
5 Buff orpingtons
5 Barred Rocks and
5 RIR

Pretty standard but I figured better start where is most familiar with me. I also looked into the winter hardiness and they all have high ratings. I also think the Rocks and Reds are beautiful birds.

Letting the warm air out on a cold Minnesota night is definitely something to wrap your head around! But yeah... The moisture rides up on it. On a 25 below night I'd be tempted to cover the holes myself but insulate the roof that makes a huge difference in temps without getting them too warm. My goal always is to keep the poop frozen and my birds climatized so they can go outside. I would turn that building so the vents are to the south (out of prevailing winter winds). Frame in some windows to the south as well so you get a nice bright winter day helping take off the edge. That's a nice building for birds! Kinda jealous here! Lol.

These factors affect how your coop will deal with moisture.
*roof line-- in my humble opinion you have the best.
* number of birds. More birds=more warmth. Tempting but also adds issues with moisture. Poop boards are our friends. Overcrowding on boring winter days: not good.
* head space above the roosts. Give that moisture a good amount of space to climb up and away from combs. For standard breeds you want roosts no higher than 2 feet anyways.
* size of the coop. Bigger=Slower to warm, but slower to cool down too. Yours looks like a dandy.
Consider also insulating your floor frame underneath. You may not need to provide any supplemental heat in the worst weather if that floor is holding in some animal warmth. The birds notice a cold floor-- that's for sure.

Welcome Mike from Thief.

Got the 5th wheel in the yard. Unpacked the tubs of linens, toiletries etc.
DH and cronies are taking it up to Red Lake for some walleye fishing. We do the Redneck Train set up with pick up->5th wheel-> Lund Alaskan. We have to plan our turn arounds well. Lol.

my first winter was a rough one! I foolishly thought what everyone meant by ventilation was something windows could do. I learned the hard way that was not the case.

Welcome Mike from Thief.

DH and cronies are taking it up to Red Lake for some walleye fishing. We do the Redneck Train set up with pick up->5th wheel-> Lund Alaskan. We have to plan our turn arounds well. Lol.

Been down to Red Lake a few times these last few years. I usually go there early season ice fishing! Cant beat it!

Whoops accidentally hit reply! Yeah, as I was saying... 4 lavender cuckoo, 3 chocolate, and 3 partridge. All English lines, all Orpington LF. The chicks will be Chocolate Cuckoo, Lavender Cuckoo, Crele, (cuckoo/partridge) and Isabelle Cuckoo.(basically a lavender crele) it will make for a very colourful flock. They lay brown eggs, and are pretty good at producing right through winter. Very hardy, and are a very large very tasty bird. They get from 5 lbs for the hens to 8 lbs for the roosters. So we will be getting some good sized drumsticks, and thighs when we cull (ahem sorry, am I supposed to say " retire" to the freezer?) we intend to retire non laying hens as well. Hoping to keep a self sustaining flock

Welcome Mike from Thief.

Ha Ha Bogtown! The first time I saw this thing you call the redneck train I could not believe it was actually legal! Amazingly skillful driving is an obvious must!

Quote:
Welcome Mike! I have 21 cross breed chicks ranging from 2 weeks to 5 weeks old. 5 Roos so far, unfortunately. I'm new to chickens myself as well. A lot of great information on here : )

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom