Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by foxhollow, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Blackberry18

Blackberry18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2015
    Minnesota
    haha I admit that happens to me a lot, too.

2. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

Want me to make you some Pea soup so you have an excuse?

3. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    With lotsa ham ralphie. I mean it should be ham soup with about 5 dried peas in it please. LOL. [​IMG]

4. Rhetts

Rhetts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    After many hours of catching up I believe I am up to snuff on the goings on here on the MN thread.

Welcome to the new comers! I am sure you will enjoy it here. Such a great place to chat and learn new things.

Ralphie: happy to hear your hummingbirds showed up. and I loved your picture of the birds at your feeders. I have never seen any birds so blue as your bunting! how beautiful!

Holm: thanks for the pic of the ducks! Loved the black and white color mix! and your getting muscovies too? I heard tell they are a duck of another color. I have not seen one in real life but the pictures I have seen must not be doing them any justice.

Happy to hear you are having better hatches Minnie!

Hope the broody takes in the chicks Dandelioness. Keep us posted on how it goes.

Small update from our neck of Minnestoa: The hen turkey has been MIA for about 2 days now. I am hopeful she is nesting and has not been eaten by anything. The adult ducks I have are forcing me to think of how to fence them instead of allowing them to free range. They have taken that literally and have been found all over the place lately. Not good! Hard decision has been made but we will most likely send some ganders and one tom to camp for the betterment of the flock. Can't believe the chicks I have are going to be 10/11 weeks this friday.

A question for anyone: one of the cochins sneezes. just started yesterday. I thought it was because she will stay outside no matter the weather foraging. Well, she gets soaked and then the temps at night have been super chilly. What can I do for her? I took her and 3 flock mates and put them back in the brooder house (plenty big don't worry) to help her stay out of the weather and keep her warm. But I really have no idea what the deal is or what I should be doing for her. Any thoughts?

A total of 6 ducks hatched from last incubator hatch from the brother in law. more set to hatch sometime this weekend I think. Maybe some of the goose eggs will hatch this time. I can hope right?

5. Blackberry18

Mar 25, 2015
    Minnesota
    [​IMG]

6. Blackberry18

Mar 25, 2015
    Minnesota
    Does she have any other symptoms besides sneezing?

7. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Interesting Rhetts. I've got two sneezing too. But been going on for a good 7-10 days. I wonder if the cooler temps condense in those simple airways sometimes. IDK. Mine seem to be of good energy anyways...and I think I remember them having this before and it just worked out. Nonetheless I've fortified their water with some Merricks Blue Ribbon (electrolyte, vitamins and probiotics) They're getting some good free ranging in, eating tons of grass, frogs, bugs. They've never looked more beautiful or in shape to be honest.

8. Rhetts

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    no other symptoms of any kind, and her sneezes are like little itty bitty 'ker choo' (done in my best marilyn monroe voice you can hear that right?)

Yeah if I didn't confine her she would be the first one running out the door to forage. I didn't want to risk her getting wet again. They are so fun to watch! This is my first time with cochins or any feathered feet for that matter we have brahmas and langshans too. Do they reguire anything different as far as free ranging goes? Are they easily chilled since the feet can become soaked quickly (especially on our 'swamp' I mean 'neck' of the woods) I put garlic in the water and was going to use ACV too.

9. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    I was hoping u saw my invite on the other thread!! Glad to see you joined us!!! Rhett's I can't wait to get me some muscovys. I hate to say it but I kinda like ducks more than chickens. They're much better layers and foragers. But they aren't as good at getting away from predators as a chicken.

10. Rhetts

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    Ain't that the truth about predators! Lost my best drake this spring. Had hoped to get more eggs to hatch out of the first round of the incubator because those would have been his. They wintered really well too to my surprise and amazement. They are a hardy bunch those ducks are!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by