Minnesota!

Ain't that the truth about predators! Lost my best drake this spring.  Had hoped to get more eggs to hatch out of the first round of the incubator because those would have been his.  They wintered really well too to my surprise and amazement.  They are a hardy bunch those ducks are!

I've never lost a duck to a predator. One day we picked up some ducks from a guy and once they were all loaded up we saw a duck hen laying in a puddle. The poor Cayuga hen was gang raped by 5 drakes. And one was a huge Muscovy.

I would treat a Cochin the same as any other bird to be honest. If she's chilled I would think she'd find a stump or roost to settle on her feet under some sort of cover too. Mine like the front door mat on the covered porch when it rains. Idk... What to make of it.

Welcome to the thread Blackberry18, It is a nice place to hang out!
Quote: Do you have VetRX? It may help her if she is having respiratory issues. I put some on their beak and in some of their feathers around there neck, back. The feed store guy said to rub it over their eyes too.

Do you have VetRX? It may help her if she is having respiratory issues. I put some on their beak and in some of their feathers around there neck, back. The feed store guy said to rub it over their eyes too.

No, I do not have Vetrx. Where would I get some? The local 'farm' store is L&M and they don't carry much of anything at our local branch. Maybe I will call the feed store where I buy my feed tomorrow and see if they carry it. Thanks for the suggestion!

@Bogtown Chic, when you say to drill holes at the tallest point in the coop, wouldn't that let out the warm air in the winter? Also, is it better to have all of the vents on one side?

@Bogtown Chic, when you say to drill holes at the tallest point in the coop, wouldn't that let out the warm air in the winter? Also, is it better to have all of the vents on one side?

You need to release the warmest air in the winter, that is where the moisture will be. When I said and BC said it better, keeping the holes low and high on the tallest sides of your coop will cause the warm air to rise along that tallest wall and take the moisture with it while leaving the back (shortest) wall relatively draft free.

This weeks hatch is not a total loss, the first turkey is out! I am not sure what it is yet as it is too wet to tell the color.

Hey all. New to chickens and new to the site. Just recived my 15 chicks this morning from Strombergs in Pine River.

Mike from Thief River Falls, MN

Welcome Mike! Glad to have you here. Yay for chicks! What breeds of chicks did you get? Chickens are so much fun. Feel free to ask any thing. Lots of people here with loads of knowledge on all kinds of things!

Hey all. New to chickens and new to the site. Just recived my 15 chicks this morning from Strombergs in Pine River.

Mike from Thief River Falls, MN

Welcome Mike! Good bunch here and we love to chat and share out experiences. I am into Orpingtons (particularly the English variety) I plan to order 4 lavender cuckoo orps

Back
Top Bottom