Minnesota!

Hi all! I'm in Eagan, MN...just moved from the city (Saint Paul) where I find I COULD HAVE had chickens...but not in the 'burbs...who knew??? Anyway, I have decided to take on the City Council here and try and get the no-chicken ordinance overturned. I am trying to find other Eagan residents (or anyone with any connections to any of the council members ;-) who are also interested in getting this reversed. Trying to raise any and all the support I can get! Any suggestions, advice, etc. is VERY appreciated!! Thanks everyone! ~Kim

Hi all! I'm in Eagan, MN...just moved from the city (Saint Paul) where I find I COULD HAVE had chickens...but not in the 'burbs...who knew??? Anyway, I have decided to take on the City Council here and try and get the no-chicken ordinance overturned. I am trying to find other Eagan residents (or anyone with any connections to any of the council members ;-) who are also interested in getting this reversed. Trying to raise any and all the support I can get! Any suggestions, advice, etc. is VERY appreciated!! Thanks everyone! ~Kim

You also might check with Dakota Rural Action & see what they've done regarding their work with Sioux Falls ordinances, etc. Perhaps they can tell you if there is a Minnesota equivalent to Dakota Rural Action, which fights for the small hobby farmers and the organic and other ag producers. Its a nice group and I suspect something similar also exists in MN.

Good luck on your battle! I'm a city counsel woman in my little village of Bushnell & a chicken & duck owner. So I'd also check what the history was for putting the ordinance into place. 99% chance the current seated counsel doesn't even know why it was put in place. If you can show the "problem" that caused its approval in the first place has since been resolved or could be resolved in another manner, you will have more friendly mindsets at the discussion.

The other thing I'd do is get neighboring seated counsel members to advocate for you as to what their cities have found since allowing poultry, etc. The more you HAND FEED the info to the counsel and not make them work for it, the better your chances. BREAK down the myths, that is the critical thing.

Excellent advice... not sure how to go about finding out why the ordinance was put in place originally though..any ideas? And thank you very much for taking the time to write--I really appreciate it!

D.gif
I love in Isanti. Actually half way between Isanti and North Branch, lol. I have 6 year old laying hens, don't know what breed but they are red/brown. And I have 8 Americana and 2 gold buffs, ( I call them buffs cause I cant remember it is something that starts with an O, lol ) Next week we add 15 more chicks to our flock. 8 broilers and the rest laying hens :) I'm excited to be a part of this site and cannot wait to get learning. This is my first season with Chickens and so far I am loving them!!!! Our 'momma hens' are very friendly so were hoping the rest will be too!!!
ya.gif

D.gif
I love in Isanti. Actually half way between Isanti and North Branch, lol. I have 6 year old laying hens, don't know what breed but they are red/brown. And I have 8 Americana and 2 gold buffs, ( I call them buffs cause I cant remember it is something that starts with an O, lol ) Next week we add 15 more chicks to our flock. 8 broilers and the rest laying hens :) I'm excited to be a part of this site and cannot wait to get learning. This is my first season with Chickens and so far I am loving them!!!! Our 'momma hens' are very friendly so were hoping the rest will be too!!!
ya.gif

Welcome!!! I am in Ham Lake, just a bit south of you!!!

Excellent advice... not sure how to go about finding out why the ordinance was put in place originally though..any ideas? And thank you very much for taking the time to write--I really appreciate it!

The minutes from the date of the ordinance being approved will show what the reason was or at least what was given, during the discussion of why they needed the ordinance. That's your smoking gun
caf.gif
so you may have to do some researching in Non-Computer era documents
barnie.gif
But if you go in with not only "they are cute and fun to have" as justifications but have LOGICALLY shown them step by step why it was done and why that reason doesn't count any more.... you will likely win converts.

Also you can show how businesses are benefiting from the hobby. For example Runnings Fleet & Farm is selling a chicken "coop" that is a cute little back yard unit. Its not for big farm operations. So clearly they too are plugging into this new market. Farmers win too with greater diversity of birds and also more birds to feed grains produced here!

See if there are avian vets in your city. They would benefit too financially from the new "pet" industry that the change could create.

Also partner up with people like the one here on BYC who started the thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/540565/minnesota-cities-chicken-ordinances-and-rules

I am in Emily, MN and will be receiving my first chicks the first or second week of May. I'm pumped.
wee.gif

I've got an existing 8x10 shed that will be my coop. I've already learned so much here, that it's kind of daunting, but I will persevere!! I am getting 5 Easter Eggers, 5 Golden Lace Wyandottes, 2 Columbian Wyandottes, 2 Red Sex Link and 2 Black Sex Link - all pullets. Wish me luck!!!
yippiechickie.gif

Congratulations!!! I live in Brainerd, so we are not to far from each other. I am in the process of becoming a small hatchery. I hope to have everything I need by next year. I should have some chicks this fall and will have some ducklings at the end of this month. There don't seem to be very many of us in this area on this site. Have a great day!!!!

Back
Top Bottom