Minnesota!

Sotabrew - i an in Maplewood and have two chickens and three ducks. My two neighbors say they are fine with it but I'm very paranoid when the ducks start quaking. Maplewood residences are allowed to own up to 10 hens but have to pay 50 bucks a year to do so, along with regulations about coop size etc. i think paying that much a year is insane, and I'm pretty sure they would say no to the ducks so i am doing it "under cover".

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and my fiance and I currently rent. We have been looking at real estate lately and looking up chicken ordinances. We are hoping to find a place with 2+ acres about 30-40 min from the twin cities. Does anyone know of good, more rural/country/private areas that allow chickens and possibly goats? We looked at a great place in Ham Lake today, but I read that chickens aren't allowed there. Seems to me that Anoka is really lax with their ordinances and you can have 4 chickens without a permit, but unfortunately there isn't any real estate out there with more than 2+ acres. We are looking to live in an area where you can't see into neighbors windows, someplace with secluded privacy and lots of trees =)

Any ideas would be really appreciated, Thanks!

Last edited:
Im in East Bethel just north of Ham Lake and I believe if you have an acre or more you can have 10 chickens, probably more if you go through the city. I have worked with the city before and they seem pretty willing to work with you if your request is realistic and within city code. I have also seen some chickens for sale on craigslist from someone in Ham Lake, so I would recommend calling the city and talking to someone.

Thanks for the tip! Bethel is one of the considerations. We also found a place in St. Francis which is in the county of Anoka. I'll have to check on the ordinances for that area, but it seems to be a good rural place close enough to the cities.

If you end up moving to the North Metro area let me know. I should have silkie & gold lace polish chicks this spring and it's always nice to know of other chicken keepers in the area.

This is what I found for the city of ham lake.

Raising Chickens
The raising of Chickens in areas zoned R-1 or RS-1 shall be allowed by Temporary Conditional Use Permit (TCUP) issued in conformance with the provision of the City Code. You may read about the rules governing the application and conditions for issuance here: City Code-Article 9 (Article 9-380)

Hey everyone, I want to add 2 more hens to my existing 2. Anyone have HENS they are selling in the Minneapolis area or anywhere along 94 up to Fergus Falls? They would be pets so I prefer friendly girls! Looking for some fun breeds too! Polish, frizzle, silkie, etc

Thanks!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom