Minnesota!

Update on our chicken family. We are convinced after comparing notes on BYC that our large white silkie something is a roo! He hasn't crowed yet so it was hard to tell. Not crowing was good as we live in a neighborhood. Looks like we'll be exploring the world of incubating.

I'm from west of the Twin Cities near Lake Minnetonka. How is everyone getting their coops ready for the winter? This will be our first. I have four hens and worry that there are not enough chickens to keep the coop warm. I'll put down straw in the coop and surround the run with clear shower curtains to keep the snow and wind out. I'm not planning on heating the coop but it's also not well insulated, so I'm not sure how they'll do. I will probably put in a remote read temp gauge in the coop so I can keep an eye on the temp.

Does anyone use lamp or ceramic heaters during the January deep freeze?

Hey Rani:

I have an uninsulated coop, with, I hope enough ventilation for my birds. I am not going to heat at all. I have a light in the coop but that is to fool the hens into giving me some eggs, not for heat.

I will have an 8 gallon fount waterer with a heat plate under it. I doubt it will add any heat to the coop itself. My coop is 8x8 with tall ceilings for roosting and keeping warm moist air away from the birds. I have roof and soffit vents.

I have a lot of birds in my small coop, too many for most people here. However, I have a covered run 9x75 ft to give them room to get away from each other. If I feel it is safe I will allow the birds to free range. Right now it is not because of my eagle problem. I also worry about fox and coyotes during the winter.

Make sure you coop is not too air tight as to allow moisture to build up. Moisture is worse than cold on animals.

I will feed a lot of corn besides my layer mash and scratch just for the carbohydrates to burn.

The birds should be fine out of the wind and snow, as long as they are dry.

Hey Rani, I have 3 hens here in richfield and they had no problems keeping each other warm last winter. My coop is only insulated with a layer of reflectix and 3/8" plywood, with no heater. My coop is fairly small, with the enclosed portion being a 2'x2'x2' equilateral triangle 4' long (think attic of an A-frame). Their water dish is the only thing I heat, and thats in their run (not coop).

Hey Rani, I have 3 hens here in richfield and they had no problems keeping each other warm last winter. My coop is only insulated with a layer of reflectix and 3/8" plywood, with no heater. My coop is fairly small, with the enclosed portion being a 2'x2'x2' equilateral triangle 4' long (think attic of an A-frame). Their water dish is the only thing I heat, and thats in their run (not coop).
Thanks for that. The more I read the more I am reassured that my hens will be ok without supplemental heat - except the waterer. I'll put a thick layer of straw down in the house and wrap the bottom of the coop in plastic to keep out the snow and wind. It seems to be a 'learn as you go' ordeal. It is so helpful to hear about what has worked for others.

Thanks again,
Rani

Thanks for that. The more I read the more I am reassured that my hens will be ok without supplemental heat - except the waterer. I'll put a thick layer of straw down in the house and wrap the bottom of the coop in plastic to keep out the snow and wind. It seems to be a 'learn as you go' ordeal. It is so helpful to hear about what has worked for others.

Thanks again,
Rani
Just make sure the plastic isn't trapping humidity/moisture. That's a chicken's worst enemy in the cold.

So I'll make sure to just wrap the bottom. I'll leave the upper parts of the run open. The house itself has an open roof with only a hardware cloth covering. We laid a piece of foam insulation to cover it, but we can slide it out a bit to maybe ventilate it a bit. I think if I insulate the hen house anymore, it will be too airtight. So the mantra is - ventilation ventilation ventilation. I'm learning quickly!

R

Rani is your coop elevated or on/near ground level. I find straw bales stacked around the base of the coop stops draft yet permits ventilation.

Of course they are a tad ugly. Being a farm kid that never bothered me, but I know many people find them unsightly. Neighbors could complain.

Back
Top Bottom