Minnesota!

I have 5 laying hens (6 hens total) one hasn't started laying yet. Out of the 5 i'm now getting approx 2 eggs a day. For sure the EE does not lay anymore. The gold comet is laying for sure and one of the SLW's and possibly the buff orphington are still laying (their eggs look the same).

I have roughly 250 chickens right now, of those, about 2/3 are females. I got 4 eggs yesterday. We are approaching the shortest day of the year in a couple of weeks, and this is how nature works with chickens and their laying. I accept it knowing that in a couple of weeks with the extra light they are getting, that they will start producing more for me. The exception to that may be if we have weather and temps like last winter, then that screws up the whole show! I got about 6 eggs day before yesterday and even got about 10 one day this last week. Yes, on warmer days, some will lay better, but it is these really short days that is having the biggest effect on them. If any of you have seen my barn, which is on my profile, you will see I keep an open air building for my birds. I even have some that are out in a smaller coop and go outside every day.
I can't complain about not getting many eggs right now, because in a short time, I will be swimming in them again. Such is the ebbing and waning of life.

I have 22 hens and 5 roos and I have been getting at least a dozen eggs a day. The other day they gave me 17! The gals range in age from 8 months to 2 1/2 years. The laying picked up as the pullets began to lay right about the time the 1 1/2 yr olds finished their first molt and right about the time we finished our newly expanded run and sold a few extra birds - perfect storm.

I don't supplement light and about 1/3 of my hens are going on 5 years old. Most of the others are 3. So, I don't expect too many eggs. I thought my pullets from this year would be laying by now though.

I have taken notice that all my light bulbs in the big house need to be cleaned off from fly specs and cobwebs around them, so once I do that, I hope a little brighter light will get the girls back in business ;)

I do have electric to most of my coops. I have 3 that don't and I put solar lights in them and the rest have night lights with 7½ watt bulbs in the coops with electricity. They aren't bright but I think bright enough. I leave them on 24/7. I used to have the main plug on a timer which would turn all of the coop lights on and off at certain times, but the timer died and I didn't replace it so the birds have a little light in their coops from sundown to sunup. During the day I know I don't need to leave the lights on and sometimes I do just unplug the main plug that supplies the power to all of the coops.

Back
Top Bottom