Minnesota!

Ok, the two of mine who have frostbite are my two top of the pecking order hens (cluck-cluck and Fi) and I think they are pecking each others combs now
sad.png
I seen some chinanigans going on when I was out cleaning the coop and run and giving them their treats. they were taking turn pecking each other, not very friendly like. They've never pecked each other before this. I'm going to bring them in separately to look and see what is going on. Any advice on what to do here?

Single payer is the only way it would have worked:( He got hard pressed and went against his original plan in order to appease congress. Very sad.
Bawk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am sorry I did not want to start a "political discussion" when I responded to the question as to why I was not in Florida now.

I tried to write it in a honest neutral way without revealing my views on Obamacare.. I thought I had done so and had simply mentioned it to explain why the company I worked for changed its policy regarding retirees insurance and our need to adjust our living situation accordingly.

The fact my kids finally learned how to give us grandkids played a very major role in our move also! I do not want to start a political discussion here, it is against BYC rules, I get in enough trouble with BYC without starting a discussion I know that is against their rules. SO PLEASE no political discussions.

We all have our own political and religious views, I have mine, you have yours, and you and I are all entitled to have them, no matter how wrong they may be.
lau.gif

Seriously, I am sorry I mentioned Obamacare, Truly it was not done to start a discussion on the merits or lack thereof. It was simply mentioned like chicken poop is mentioned, it is a fact of life we must deal with. I had hoped I had masked my feelings on it, obviously I failed, sorry.

yeah, I read these posts and had to get off fast - ignorance drives me absolutely crazy.

Now if we could only have health care for our chickens. You know, there are pet health insurance plans - never used them, and I suppose they would exclude chickens because they might be livestock or something. The necropsies at the university labs are expensive ($80 bucks) and if you want certain testing done (mareks blood tests in texas) it costs even more.

Hey Cluckies, if your hens are pecking at each others frost bitten combs, just watch for blood. If there is blood, spray with blue kote which makes them kind of purple (will stain your fingers) .

Here's last year's rooster with a frostbit comb - I never treated it and it healed up just fine. THe bad parts turned black and eventually fell off, by April he looked totally fine, just had a much smoother, smaller comb.

Last edited:
Frostbite damage will be an issue for any in our climate that keep chickens with single combs. It is not as bad for hens as cocks but can affect hens as well.
My serious suggestion to all is keep chickens that have Rose, Pea or Cushion combs, or if you feel that single comb breeds are what you want then provide heat in the coop.
I have been to all sections of the U.S. with the exception of Alaska. That said, I am not very fond of Florida for a number of reasons. Although I am retired, my wife owns and runs her own landscape construction company. She thus far refuses to sell out and retire, and so I fear I will never be able to move to a more hospitable climate.
So for now I will keep chickens that thrive in this climate.

Back
Top Bottom