Minnesota!

The parasite just sort of takes hold in the good soil too, via the carriers: chickens--> earthworms --> cecal worms.  That's why some folks caution ranging turkeys with chickens. 

Is it best to avoid earthworms for chickens? We do vermiculture composting.

Oregano and garlic are also powerful natural healers, too, to add to what Bogtown Chick said. Not sure if both are safe for chooks, though.

Last edited:
Welcome!! I'm from SE Minneapolis/Dinkytown originally so not all too far from you considering how much we're all spread around MN. Moved a bit more north now, though. Hope you enjoy the forums here!

Define a bit further north?

Just curious, I see more and more chickens around me but do not see anyone on here around me, yet.

Define a bit further north?

Just curious, I see more and more chickens around me but do not see anyone on here around me, yet.

Not as far north as you, just about a half hour out of the metro area. Taylor's Falls area.

Otherwise I'd be asking to meet your flock, they sound like a fun crew! I know internet people coming over can not be everyone's thing, though. I could be a chickenapper. :)

Last edited:
Not as far north as you, just about a half hour out of the metro area. Taylor's Falls area.

As soon as I posted that I remembered you an Lala talked about feed in your area,,DUH.. I get old and forgetful sorry..

I am only 45 minutes or so north of the cities now, but I am NW. I have not lived in Duluth area in quite a few years. just too lazy to change my email address and I use the same name for everything because I lack creativity and imagination.

Ah, ok, I thought you were in Duluth yet. My dad is in St Augusta. My family is in and around St Cloud. Too many of them lol. Quite the clan! Are you around there about?

My dad keeps thinking about getting chickens. Had them growing up. But he thinks he won't have enough time. He's retired and spends most his day in the barn puttering around with fixing tractors, mowers, and whatever so I told him I think he could fit a few minutes in. They could run around while he works. He's got a cat, though. One in the house named House, and one in the barn/garage named Garage lol. That cat is pretty lazy, though. Used to be a good mouser now just looks the other way. I guess the chickens are big enough to not be bothered anyway and maybe give the cat a thing or two.

Last edited:
Ah, ok, I thought you were in Duluth yet. My dad is in St Augusta. My family is in and around St Cloud. Too many of them lol. Quite the clan! Are you around there about?

Nope, look on a map and you will see Zimmerman on Hwy 169 north of Elk River, Go west about 6-8 miles on the main drag of Zimmerman, you will come to the booming metro area known as Orrock. I am there kinda.

Is Aspen safe for bedding? If so, FYI someone is selling pine shavings (some aspen) in Sauk Rapids if anyone is around there. Sounds like fine textured.
http://stcloud.craigslist.org/grd/4874836250.html

I just found this on aspen:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/362687/are-aspen-chips-shavings-bedding-ok-for-the-chickens

When I can I get shavings from a local cabinet maker. I have been getting them for a couple of years. I use them in my coops and nest boxes. So far haven't had any problems.

Lol booming metro. That's about this area, too. The cows really are building up the area fast. My cousin has some land in Pease, and Zimmerman used to be my Dairy Queen stop on the way up north from Minneapolis. Well until I had 5 boys and now I try to drive by fast before any of them spot it so my wallet doesn't scream. Kind of know the area a bit but just in the DQ realm.

Back
Top Bottom