Minnesota!

We ordered and picked up 6 baby chick's back in March. The 2 RIRs are obvious , the 2 BRs are obvious, and only one of the Silver Lace is obvious. The other SL, not so much. This other one is mainly black with only the underfeathers being white. This one looks more like an Astralorp minus the white feathers underneath. Is it normal to have one SL be obvious with the white 'stripes' and one be mostly black? Thank you!

Last edited:
THIS IS FOR FELLOW CREAMETTE CARETAKERS ONLY:

How are you doing on special blue eggs?

I have not had one since Thursday afternoon. At this rate I am going to go broke raising $1500 eggs.

Just curious, I have taken every suggestion and then some and am getting skunked. If you are getting some tell me what you are doing.

I am thinking of setting up a grill, where they can see it and cooking chicken legs and lobsters to show them what can happen to expensive things that do not lay eggs...

Space in my big chick brooder is starting to free up. I finally had time to post some of my extra cockerels for sale and today had someone come for my extra mille d'Uccle cockerel. He mentioned he was on the lookout for a cochin cockerel. To which I said "any particular color" and then pointed to the two nice extra barred bantam cochin cockerels that have been helping to eat me out of house and home for the past 2 months. So instead of selling just one today, I got to sell 2! And the mille d'uccle pullets must have sensed the extra space and lessened testosterone quickly since they came out of hiding to bawk at me. :)

Now I'll just have to get by DH who didn't want me to sell either of those cockerels, convinced they would turn out to be pullets. If I've learned anything, it's that a cochin with a prounounced reddish comb and visible reddish wattles before 8 weeks is a cockerel (I made the mistake long ago of thinking they were girls until they grew spurs). Also, I noticed with my second batch of barred cochin chicks that the ones feathering out with wide white stripes are growing combs earlier than the ones with the wide black stripes. (My first batch mostly died in transit and I think now I probably had all 3 cockerels that were survivors so I didn't have the darker overall coloring of the female to compare to). DH will probably still say I should have kept that boy, but ultimately, I'm happy with the $20 I got for him (especially since I don't have to feed him or clean up after him anymore). Afterall, I have 2 more cockerels and 3 pullets that are about 4 weeks old - that ought to be enough to make a few more next spring. :) Besides,what I really want to breed are the bantam white face black spanish and the bantam white crested black polish
jumpy.gif

yes, Jailerjoe, thats what I want to know too!  were they from the MN Ag dept?    were they polite?   

With all the outbreaks and as many backyard flocks there are I'm pretty sure they're (the state) is using volunteers or at least not regular state employees. I'm actually in St. Cloud for a conference so wasn't there when they showed up. My wife, who's been home for a week with the flu, actually dealt with them. She said they were very polite and seemed to take every precaution including leaving us their hazmat stuff in a sealed garbage bag. Who knows if they just came from an infected flock or what they've driven through to get here.

Hoping for the best! I just need to figure out what to do with all the extra eggs that I can't sell or give away.

Last edited:

We ordered and picked up 6 baby chick's back in March. The 2 RIRs are obvious , the 2 BRs are obvious, and only one of the Silver Lace is obvious. The other SL, not so much. This other one is mainly black with only the underfeathers being white. This one looks more like an Astralorp minus the white feathers underneath. Is it normal to have one SL be obvious with the white 'stripes' and one be mostly black? Thank you!
If you are getting birds that came from any of the big hatcheries, you can't expect them to be consistent in color or very close to what the color standard is supposed to be either. Some hatchery SLWs are very black, others are very white.

THIS IS FOR FELLOW CREAMETTE CARETAKERS ONLY:

How are you doing on special blue eggs?

I have not had one since Thursday afternoon. At this rate I am going to go broke raising $1500 eggs.

Just curious, I have taken every suggestion and then some and am getting skunked. If you are getting some tell me what you are doing.

I am thinking of setting up a grill, where they can see it and cooking chicken legs and lobsters to show them what can happen to expensive things that do not lay eggs...
Find a KFC poster and hang it in the chicken yard/coop.

Space in my big chick brooder is starting to free up. I finally had time to post some of my extra cockerels for sale and today had someone come for my extra mille d'Uccle cockerel. He mentioned he was on the lookout for a cochin cockerel. To which I said "any particular color" and then pointed to the two nice extra barred bantam cochin cockerels that have been helping to eat me out of house and home for the past 2 months. So instead of selling just one today, I got to sell 2! And the mille d'uccle pullets must have sensed the extra space and lessened testosterone quickly since they came out of hiding to bawk at me. :)

Now I'll just have to get by DH who didn't want me to sell either of those cockerels, convinced they would turn out to be pullets. If I've learned anything, it's that a cochin with a prounounced reddish comb and visible reddish wattles before 8 weeks is a cockerel (I made the mistake long ago of thinking they were girls until they grew spurs). Also, I noticed with my second batch of barred cochin chicks that the ones feathering out with wide white stripes are growing combs earlier than the ones with the wide black stripes. (My first batch mostly died in transit and I think now I probably had all 3 cockerels that were survivors so I didn't have the darker overall coloring of the female to compare to). DH will probably still say I should have kept that boy, but ultimately, I'm happy with the $20 I got for him (especially since I don't have to feed him or clean up after him anymore). Afterall, I have 2 more cockerels and 3 pullets that are about 4 weeks old - that ought to be enough to make a few more next spring. :) Besides,what I really want to breed are the bantam white face black spanish and the bantam white crested black polish
jumpy.gif
When trying to sex Barred varieties of chickens, the ones with a big, clear white spot on their heads are almost always the cockerels. That is why I chuckle when I walk passed the bin in Runnings and see white dots in the Barred Rock pullet bin ;) You are correct though, by 8 weeks if you have pronounced comb and wattles on your Cochins, they are going to crow one day. The LF pullets will get some wattles too, but their combs don't get nearly as big at that age.
I just sent someone your way, by the way, who is looking for bantams that are a little more colorful than those I have to offer.

With all the outbreaks and as many backyard flocks there are I'm pretty sure they're (the state) is using volunteers or at least not regular state employees. I'm actually in St. Cloud for a conference so wasn't there when they showed up. My wife, who's been home for a week with the flu, actually dealt with them. She said they were very polite and seemed to take every precaution including leaving us their hazmat stuff in a sealed garbage bag. Who knows if they just came from an infected flock or what they've driven through to get here.

Hoping for the best! I just need to figure out what to do with all the extra eggs that I can't sell or give away.
interesting. So they actually put your flock in quarantine for 6 months? did they leave any printed material with your wife? You are the first person I've heard of who has been checked by the state for AI. Remember a few years back when everyone was getting paranoid about not letting the "authorities" know they kept chickens ?

Eggs....you can actually freeze them (out of the shell). Feed them back to the flock too....dogs love them......

Back
Top Bottom