Minnesota!

My anxiety levels had skyrocketed today (a dealing with doctors thing), going down to the chickens helped but the best therapy was a couple glasses of wine & the 20 pages of posts from the last 2 days. I had several quotes marked but really haven't figured out the multi quote thing because they didn't show up for this post.
@The BlanchRanch I'm the only one in our house that likes Prairie Home Companion or anything NPR. I'm a bit eccentric in the things I listen to ( and corrupting the grands) The SIL may be an audiophile, but his tastes are homogeneous indy/alternative.
@Bogtown Chick goulash is poverty food in my house. I can't eat it but the kids still love it. I guess they can make it for themselves :) I love that camping pictures.
@duluthralphie You look like the pied piper in your video. You spend more time in Elk River then I do & I live there (ok I live 5 mi out of ER)! The dog 'trainer' needed to go back to school.
@Minniechickmama I have a Zucchini cookie recipe that the grands love. I'm getting carrots by the bushel so time for carrot cake.

I like going to the State Fair about every other year, I can only handle it about that often. I however love the Ren Fest better. I heard this is the last year in Shakopee. During the summer at various art festivals is when I do my Christmas shopping. This year I'm way behind.

I forgot the rest. It was probably that second or third glass of wine

Last edited:
Basically it started with me trying to get something to grow where it was bare ground. This particular area is closed off from the rest of the run, so I can grow in it undisturbed. At the time I think the food plot mix was cheaper than actual grass seed which is why I did that.

I plan on trying sprouts this winter to for diversifying their diet. I have barley and oats but didn't know BOSS would sprout too. I think I will do a mixture of grains. I found a guy near here with red wheat and hope to get over there and get some before it is gone.
Where did you get your barley?

Klopklop...Never stop bringing ideas here before you try them.

I like the haylage idea, I was just pointing out what I recall about silage. I think it has merit and could help. My concern was BC putting it in her coop and tripping over it all winter.

I wonder through it is made in small blocks or plastic buckets and allowed to freeze, if it could be used like a " bird seed block" for the birds to pick at? Would they pick at a frozen block at 10 below?

The more of us that try the same thing in differing ways the faster we all learn what works and what doesn't;t and how to do it better.

And YEAH!!! Where did you get barley? I look for barley, wheat and millet and never find it anywhere for a price I can afford...

Aussiegal, I am not that far from Elk River and it has Menards, I need a Menard's a lot as this place is old and has been neglected for years. Actually I am about 5 miles from the "city" limits of ER too, but that is only because ER annexed the township.

it is early and I will be going back to bed, but I am on an Arthritis break. I needed to get up as knees and hips hurt. I am trying to avoid a pain pill. so I came here. Not sure if coming here is a good substitute for a pain pill.

About the cntrl-V ( hotkeys) thing, It appears it is something I disabled or a bug in BYC, it seems to work everywhere else still.

The reason we ate so much goulash when I was a kid was the poverty thing, I think. Things were tight back in the 50's and 60's here on the sand farm, with no irrigation. Also my Dad only had an 8th grade education, and was a polio survivor so that limited his income greatly. He worked his butt off farming with his handicap during the day and played in a band on weekends ( at times first from a wheel chair then on crutches) He was kind of stubborn. I guess I get that from him...

Well enough nothingness and prattling on. I think I can get by on aspirin instead of the pain pills now...

See ya all in the morning.. BTW Aussie I am going to ER in the morning...lol

@duluthralphie

About the cntrl-V ( hotkeys) thing, It appears it is something I disabled or a bug in BYC, it seems to work everywhere else still.

I am having no trouble with copy / paste hotkeys.

I don't know what you could have done for just this site to stop working.
If you have rebooted and that didn't fix it.......the only thing i can think of trying is deleting the cookie(s) for BYC so it resets the next time you log on.

I was thinking about the haylage discussion and articles. I was thinking about how fragile even multiple layers of garbage bags are.

I was trying to figure what i could try that is small, air tight, and cheap.

What came to mind was a 5 gallon pail and a cover.

Other than being able to easily vacuum out the air, the pail and lid can do everything several layers of garbage bags can with some added advantages. If the pail is packed full enough and tightly enuf I can't see much O2 being in there to degrade the process.

Pails are easy find, strong, stackable, plus you could just remove the lid and let them feed right from the pail or split it up into multiple pails, eliminating the the winter long haybergs.

Just an idea i had while i couldn't sleep.

Great idea's and points NikonD2xer and Ralphy.
Deleting cookies is part of deleting all of your history in your browser. It will delete the cookies too. Then restart the browser. It worked when everything in my editor started showing up as HTML. Or just delete the cookies. Either way it should work. I would have to remember where my internet files are to delete the cookies. It has been a while. Plus I think I was using explorer the last time I did it. Now I am using Chrome.

Nikon.. great minds think alike....sorta..

I was thinking of bags put in "milk cartons" to make the haylage into a block. Then they would be small and not something big to trip over. I think the buckets is a good idea. I have a bunch of those square buckets cat litter comes in, ( from before the Eagle took our cat).......

Thanks for the help on the cntrl-V thing. I can still use the "paste" if I hover the mouse. BUT I like cntrl-v. I will get over it. I know I need to dump cookies, I just hate to do it, because, I forget passwords easy and that causes its own problems...

Fragility is part of the reason I am thinking small bags. Smaller bags will weigh less which will reduce the chance of poking your fingers through the plastic just trying to pick it up. I am thinking I will just pile them in a Rubbermaid tote for easy storage/movement

@duluthralphie @NikonD2xer
I got my barley from the local feed store. I think it was something like 18 bucks sack
Not super cheap but the birds like it. I'm not crazy enough to start adding flax yet...

There is a bird food elevator in the next town over that sells millo sorghum millet and BOSS in bulk that I have been meaning to visit too

Last edited:
Fragility is part of the reason I am thinking small bags. Smaller bags will weigh less which will reduce the chance of poking your fingers through the plastic just trying to pick it up. I am thinking I will just pile them in a Rubbermaid tote for easy storage/movement

You are talking "gallon" size freezer bags?

I wonder what would happen if I use my vacuum packer/sealer.

OR those reusable vacuum bags for clothing and blankets....Hmmm

@duluthralphie @NikonD2xer
I got my barley from the local feed store. I think it was something like 18 bucks sack
Not super cheap but the birds like it. I'm not crazy enough to start adding flax yet...

There is a bird food elevator in the next town over that sells millo sorghum millet and BOSS in bulk that I have been meaning to visit too

Let me know what the Bulk place charges and what you think of the mix. I am too cheap to pay 18 bucks for a bag of anything... Except I paid 18 bucks for my bag of rye for seeding...

Back
Top Bottom