Minnesota!

Let them free range the Yard today... wont happen again for atleast couple more wks.. I chased 3 chickens around my neighbors UNfenced yard.. they are still small enough to get through the chainlink fence... i was trying to herd them with a long board. if i could have got close enough i would have clunked them in their heads with it... but eventually the went back through the fence on my side and my dog chased them in their chicken run... Pomerania's make good chicken herders...LOL

Anyways my ButterScotch is always the bravest, she was the 1st one out of the run...
love the pic. ummm, though.....the chicken wire won't hold off a predator like a coon or a dog... can't remember whether we had this discussion already. seems maybe we did and if so, my apologies. Its just if a coon could get there, you'ld be miserable about what you'ld find.

and Ralphie, dang I'm sorry to hear she's losing blood.

I don't blame the farmers that is for sure...I know it is regulation and I find it awfully funny that they won't protect us from the stuff they do to the food supply but panic at things like smoked hams. or milk. I've never tasted real milk. never liked the stuff I have tasted either.

And if it is gonna be as windy as they say, I think we will all be battening down the hatches this weekend.

Klop klop, if you are tenting better tether that tent good!

I am sorry to burst your bubble.

Whether you want to call it food or not is understandable some of the stuff does not taste at all like "old fashioned".

Some of the problem is not farmers though. It is regulations. Everyone wants to be 100% safe and at the same time have 100% natural. Regulations do not allow that ( the natural part). I remember when I was a kid, there was no selling eggs at the end of the drive. My Grandparents took them to town and traded them for credit at the grocery store. Everyone had fresh eggs. Try that now?

We sold milk, We only had a grade B farm. We sold our milk in cans, not a bulk tank. The milk was picked up daily. People from town came out and bought their milk directly from us dipped out of the can. I refused to drink milk in school and still refuse to drink milk. It was homogenized, pasteurized and all the flavor removed.. Try finding a farmer with a can of milk now. let alone buy some from him..

Sure pasteurized might be safer but it is tasteless too. Homogenized makes it look pretty and there is no cream to skim, but it helps make it tasteless too. Removing the bad stuff removes the good stuff too. Remember the milk maids that were immune to small pox?

Remember real smoked hams and bacon? they are illegal now too.

IMHO the food supply we have now is as much of big government over regulation, peoples desire to be 100% safe 100% of the time at all costs. As it is economics and science or the farmer.

Rant over, I have many farmer relatives and they would like to do things different, but they can't either.

BTW I live in my own LALA land too...
It is funny that you are using the word "safe", when in actuality, all the regs cause more harm than good when it comes to food and how it is processed. Milk has an abundance of wonderful nutrients, including disease fighting organisms, that are killed when they are process, pasteurized and homogenized. I grew up drinking out of the bulk tank myself and LOVED milk. I still love a cold glass of it but have adapted to drinking skim/fat free milk over the years, which just is not the same as what I knew growing up.
There is a book called either The Milk Story or The Story About Milk, I can't remember exactly. What really happened is the people in the suburban and urban areas were afraid of raw milk, along with all the lovely government overreaching that has ruined one of the best foods a person can drink. Years ago, doctors actually prescribed whole, raw milk to treat some illnesses. In fact, there is a story about one of the Mayo Brothers who had used milk to cure something that was happening to himself.

We feed the world. Yes, we feed everyone corn and soybeans. Corn is the base for so many foods today that it is just incredible. Factory farming wouldn't be necessary if people would learn to grow or raise their own food and/or buy local. Corporations have created their factory farms and have dictated what is available for food, but consumers continue to support that method. It doesn't take 10 acres to feed a family of 4, if people turned their beloved lawns they spray with chemicals to kill weeds and keep it looking pretty into intensive gardens, and raised their own chickens along with it (or meat rabbits, quail or other small protein sources) they could feed themselves in a natural and chemical free manner, but since about the 1940's our country has been growing further and further away from self-sufficiency, which is also a more healthy way of life.

I could go on and on about this, in case none of you could tell ;)

If your Ovation button quits, remember, you can always Quote and do this:
thumbsup.gif
wink.png

I think I am going to lose the hen that laid that funny egg.

Her butt looks "prolapsed" if that is possible for them to look that way. It is all collapsed in on itself. She is dripping blood. I thought about putting her out of her misery. BUT I am not sure and I admit I am a whimp at killing my birds.

If she has blood coming from her vent, you really should put her down. I hate doing it too, but it is best to end their suffering.

love the pic. ummm, though.....the chicken wire won't hold off a predator like a coon or a dog... can't remember whether we had this discussion already. seems maybe we did and if so, my apologies. Its just if a coon could get there, you'ld be miserable about what you'ld find.
yea im adding on to my run and going to put the other wired /plastic stuff up...just takes money...LOL

I had never heard of Easter Eggers until I came to BYC and the colorful eggs look fun! What different colors are possible? I've heard olive and blue, any others?
There is also a pure black egg. I am not sure of the breed. Ayam Cemani Chicken, had to go look it up. I think greenfire had them listed at 199 dollars per chick.

That is sort of a bargain when compared to the what is have heard about someone's chickens somewhere here on BYC. I am not going to name names.
wink.png

There is also a pure black egg. I am not sure of the breed. Ayam Cemani Chicken, had to go look it up. I think greenfire had them listed at 199 dollars per chick.

That is sort of a bargain when compared to the what is have heard about someone's chickens somewhere here on BYC. I am not going to name names.
wink.png

Hey!!

I resent this!!

My Creamettes are worth every penny of the 3 grand they would cost a person, What's a black egg compared to a diamond encrusted egg???
thumbsup.gif

So I was talking to some people about my chickens (funny how that always happens) and the were saying they have wished they could have chickens but never have because they don't have the technical knowledge to build a coop. It got me thinking of course... How cool would it be if there was a company that 'city folk' could go to and get a turn key backyard chicken system. I'm thinking on the scale of 2-3 hens only. They would basically be buying a backyard coop/tractor and the necessary equipment like feeders and waterers and it could even come with hens or started pullets. There could be some sort of training/schooling about chicken care included as well as follow up support as needed while they learn about their new flock.

I've added this idea to my list of 'income opportunities' for when I decide I'm tired of riding a desk on weekdays

I researching for another large coop, there is a company that will send you everything to build the coop, wall are pre-built, in order of what comes next (flooring on top, shingles on bottom) with complete video instructions. of course there is the 'cute' lil' TSC/Fleet Farm coops.

Back
Top Bottom