Minnesota!

As a father of three girls (and one son), prepare yourself for drama. Lots and lots of drama. Not sure how old your kids are (my daughters are 15 and younger), everything is a MAJOR issue. I know when my daughters (and wife) are in a bad mood, the entire house has to know about it and apparently we all have to be in a bad mood, but when my son and I are having a bad day we like to be left alone and eventually we'll come around. The difference between men and women? 

Congrats!

Call me odd, but I've never understood the female "entitlement" to share the drama.

Welcome to the thread.

How many chickens, turkeys, ducks, guineas, peas etc do you have?

Born and raised, do you still live in Minnesota?

Yes I still live in MN :)
I have...
2 pheonix roosters
1 braham rooster
6 barred rock hens
6 RIR hens
6 pearl leghorn hens
10 Cornish (now in my freezer)
And I am also trying to hatch out some duck eggs, it is my first time with ducks, fingers crossed!!!

Yes I still live in MN
smile.png

I have...
2 pheonix roosters
1 braham rooster
6 barred rock hens
6 RIR hens
6 pearl leghorn hens
10 Cornish (now in my freezer)
And I am also trying to hatch out some duck eggs, it is my first time with ducks, fingers crossed!!!

Lots of birds!

I am not sure if you are allowed to count birds that are away at freezer Camp though.
wink.png

Do you free range them?

Last edited:
I know what you mean, I grew up with 3 sisters and I think it made me a more patient person.
Like you, my son has three sisters and he's very patient. He also has yet to discover the upside to having three sisters...they have friends. Lots and lots of girl friends. He's big into sports and is an athlete (baseball and football) and a great looking kid so girls certainly notice him but he hasn't yet figured out that his sisters friends are anything but annoying. That will soon change.

I have no idea, but I have a Daughter and a Son. When my Daughter hit 14 my life quality took a nose dive. I was dreading my Son reaching 14 but he went through his teens with no problems.

My daughter would succumb to every social pressure there was, my son, not so much. An the guys she wanted to date, well.....

However, I am so happy with the way they both turned out, both have good jobs, spouses and they gave me the best 4 grandkids in the world. So it is worth the "bad" days in the long run.

Maybe you could plan hunting and fishing trips for those bad times.
When my wife and I was first married I made it known that I only wanted sons. 5 boys was the magic number for whatever reason. We had our first child. A girl. We had our second child. A girl. I decided then that being a dad of all girls would be pretty cool. We had our third child. A boy. God was clearly having fun with me. We had our fourth child. A girl. All healthy. We were going to have that fifth child but we were afraid it would be another girl. Not that we wouldn't love another daughter but rather we had no place to put her. All of the 'girl rooms' were taken. Another boy could share a room with his brother but a another girl? At the time we only lived in a 4 bedroom home. We weren't willing to roll the dice so we stopped at 4. The gambler in me kind of regrets not taking a chance.

All four kids are under 1.5 years from the next. The largest difference is 15 months.

True story.

While taking pictures I found a clue to my predator. I am thinking eagle or one BIG owl.

Look at what was under the T bar the guineas roost on.

A headless young Guinea, there was a little blood on the T bar.

Look closely in the picture you can see feather stuck in the bird netting above the roost. It is approximately 3 feet from the netting to the roost. I would think it would take a very large bird or a very fast bird to push the netting that far down. I am going to try and take some slack out of the net today, but there is not that much slack in it. It took the two of us and a lot of lifting to get the net as tight as it is....

So disappointing.

I might give the Jake a leg band and let him loose to mingle with the other turkeys. That way if the BBW looks picked on again, I can jail the offender again.

@LaLa congrats on being a Grannie soon. That will be fun for you.

Female drama: Fingernails on a chalkboard irritating. But I fear that when my dander is up I sometimes overshare with my DH. that's okay--that's what he's there for. He also brings home his work drama to me. So fair is fair.
It's called being able to vent to ones spouse. Diffuse. Debrief.

Whatever.

@duluthralphie . It seems you have an aerial pred cunning as a fox. Dang things. Makes Chicken Wrangling difficult that's for sure.

I tell you I do knit; but not for chickens. But during my inaugural year with chickens I had the too-many-roosters issue and bare back hens. I shrunk down some wool sweaters in a hot washing machine to felt them up and then I cut out chicken saddles so they wouldn't turn into ice cubes at -20F. So although I wouldn't spend the time with knitting needles on a nice winter's evening watching the Waltons to make chicken gear....I've been known to get crafty with thrift store finds and with a scissors when there was a lack of down on my hens' backs.

Welcome @CassieIvy .

Holy Cats @Coffee 1st . Are you sure you are good to go on building that without a permit? LOL. We have one friend who usually does additions without permits and such. He says that if and when they come the fine is usually the amount of the permit anyways. LOL. Oh well. good work. And as far as helpers go on this . Its much more satisfying saying you did it all by yourself at the end. They could bring you over an iced tea though at least, you'd think...? Nice work getting those Hostas in already. Jeesh. It looks great already!

Last edited:
@duluthralphie

What a bummer about your Guniea.

We almost had a fatality this morning. Rosie slipped out past my father and grabbed one of the Orpingtons and ran off. She doesn't kill them, they are a toy for her.

Ran out after her and told her to drop it. She did and the little guy was still alive!

Back
Top Bottom