Minnesota!

Large single combed roosters are potential problems in winter. The combs are very subject to frost damage, and if the frostbite is severe may contribute to general health and vigor decline. At least the comb will be seriously misshapen when it heals.
I have not chosen to keep breeds requiring special attention, but with such roosters either heat in the coop or some insulating material on or over the comb would be in order.
Most single comb breeds have hens with small enough combs that when the hen tucks its head under a wing at night it provides adequate protection.
I would caution as relates to heated coops which do not have adequate air exchange. That situation is an opportunity for unwanted pathogenic bacteria to flourish.
Very small bantam breeds are at risk in extremely low temperatures. Breeds like Dutch and others do not have enough body mass to cope with prolonged temps in the minus area.

Do chickens show signs of discomfort before they start to develope frostbite? someone mentioned they will stick their heads under their wings? Anything else? Luckly I have have my 2x4 roost with the 4" side sticking up so I think I will be good on that end of the deal. But I am a little worried about my RIR and my BR since they do have single combs
hmm.png
Mine never showed any signs of discomfort and I had two that had frostbite on their crown this past winter. The weird thing is that both of my new RIR's (they were hatched this past March) have developed something that mimics frostbite. Several of the "points" - sorry, not sure what they are called - of their crown have turned black. They're in for a long winter if they get frostbite at 68 degrees
sad.png

Last edited:
From what I have read you should just keep an eye on the combs and watch for dryness or a chapped look as that would be the first signs. Applying bag balm or Vaseline would prevent that though?
I am in the same boat as this is the first time I will over winter any hens. I worry for Conrad my rainbow rooster. His single comb and wattles are enormous! The comb is so tall it rolls over.

Do chickens show signs of discomfort before they start to develope frostbite? someone mentioned they will stick their heads under their wings? Anything else? Luckly I have have my 2x4 roost with the 4" side sticking up so I think I will be good on that end of the deal. But I am a little worried about my RIR and my BR since they do have single combs :/
I had two with frostbit combs last year, my buff orp and my golden comet, it was during that November cold snap while it was still very damp out. I did not have heat yet at the time, humidity was like at 80 percent out side. And they were on the high roost, over a draft. Mine showed no signs of distress. Mine have never tucked their heads under a wing, just into their back feathers, comb not covered.

From what I have read you should just keep an eye on the combs and watch for dryness or a chapped look as that would be the first signs. Applying bag balm or Vaseline would prevent that though?
I am in the same boat as this is the first time I will over winter any hens. I worry for Conrad my rainbow rooster. His single comb and wattles are enormous! The comb is so tall it rolls over.
my buff orp had that floppy roll over comb... not any more, all the points are rounded, and it kind of stands up at a slant now. The frostbite didn't seem to bother her at all, except when I was trying to put bag balm on it. It turned black and hard, then later fell off. The comb under the frostbite was healed then, and light pink. It is red now.
My guess is Conrad might lose a good portion of his comb, no matter what you do. People give alot of advice about frostbite on other forumns, they are not in our kind of cold with sometimes high humidity outside, nothing you can do. 20 to 40 below? Birds with large single combs will probably get frostbite no matter what.

Last edited:
my buff orp had that floppy roll over comb... not any more, all the points are rounded, and it kind of stands up at a slant now. The frostbite didn't seem to bother her at all, except when I was trying to put bag balm on it. It turned black and hard, then later fell off. The comb under the frostbite was healed then, and light pink. It is red now.
My guess is Conrad might lose a good portion of his comb, no matter what you do. People give alot of advice about frostbite on other forumns, they are not in our kind of cold with sometimes high humidity outside, nothing you can do. 20 to 40 below? Birds with large single combs will probably get frostbite no matter what.

Chicken stocking caps???

Mine never showed any signs of discomfort and I had two that had frostbite on their crown this past winter. The weird thing is that both of my new RIR's (they were hatched this past March) have developed something that mimics frostbite. Several of the "points" - sorry, not sure what they are called - of their crown have turned black. They're in for a long winter if they get frostbite at 68 degrees :(  
I have heard the most likely time to get frostbite is low 30s with high humidity... anyone?

nobody piped up about plug in heated dog water bowls. I have one i used back when i had cats before and i plan on trying that this winter for my chickens. may get a second for my other coop too if i can find one reasonably priced. I know somebody on this thread told me they use them but line them with a second bowl i believe? anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
I use the blue plug in bowls, and put a plastic gallon ice cream bucket in them. It is so much easier to lift out the bucket and dump and clean, because picking up the blue bowl means that coiled electric cord gets out of place, etc, and it is hard to empty it when you are freezing yourself without spilling. So I have used the ice cream buckets for a couple of years now.

i have a scrap of 2"x4" welded wire fencing. i was thinking of bending it into a circle around the bowl. They can stick their heads in to drink but not stand in it then. Might double to keep to poo out and to keep their toes dry. if it doesnt work, then i am back to your method of freshening. I swear somebody on here told me they put a second bowl inside there to make it easier to clean too. Cant remember if it was metal or rubber though
If you keep your water elevated on bricks or a box, or something, it really helps keep the stuff kicked up by the chickens out of the water.

I know some people have worked to make it so the chickens can only get their beaks into the water, and not combs and wattles.

Do chickens show signs of discomfort before they start to develope frostbite? someone mentioned they will stick their heads under their wings? Anything else? Luckly I have have my 2x4 roost with the 4" side sticking up so I think I will be good on that end of the deal. But I am a little worried about my RIR and my BR since they do have single combs
hmm.png

In a bad winter regardless ofyour ventilation, there will be frostbite. Generally, you leave it alone - messing with it can cause more damage and lead to infection.
Here's a pic of a rooster I had with frostbitten comb:

Some of the dark stuff just fell off around spring time, he still had a few points but not so many.

I have seen roosters with badly swollen wattles that caused problems eating, so when I have a rooster with big wattles I make sure to keep those wattles well lubed with bag balm. I think it helps the water roll off versus freezing....

Bogtown, thanks for the merricks pic!

I have to figure out how to keep the quail water from freezing. Am afraid I will have to run another 100 foot cord out there from the other coop.....

I am alive!

I was too lazy to get out of my Lazy-Boy last night. I saw you talking about me on my IPhone. BTW I prefer the real Mikes lemonade and not the cranberry. However, I have been known to drink a cranberry one in the spring.

I am trying to get rid of last years chicken in the freezer, so yesterday I pulled out the chicken livers. I have the deck done, except the hand rails on the steps. So I set up the fry baby on the deck, cracked an egg add milk into the livers and coated them with Cajun fish batter fried them up, made corn and riced potatioes rto go with them and over ate them. They were so good! So I spend the night in the lazy boy regretting eating to much as we binge watched Game of Thrones. ( Can you believe they killed off the King?)

I do not like to type on my IPhone, and did not want to interfere too much with the show.

Lala I think one Guinea would do ok with chickens as it was raised with guineas. I think single guineas are better behaved than two of them. Yesterday I had to chase the juveniles they were going towards the road, so I herded them back with the 4-wheeler. Then they decided to pick on the CXs. So I had to put the run on them again. However, I think I will still keep all except the one in prison. I watch them working the yard for bugs and I know why I have them. It is amazing how many bugs they eat. We have not had one box elder bug or Japenese or Asian beetles ( the lady buglike ones) so they do have a useful purpose.

I, like Mistablue, love my little mentally deranged dinosaur like guineas, I guess. I am hoping to enter a 12 step program to wean myself off them this winter.

I had combs damaged last year in the warmer weather and not the cold. Chickens are tough, I seldom see a sick one or one in discomfort with anything short of a major injury/illness. I read somewhere this is a evolutionary trait in prey animals as predators go for the sick, injured and weak. Not showing signs of an illness means survival.

Reading what you all do I have decided to try a few new things. I think I will lower the roost. and lay some of that shiny bubble wrap over the main part of the coop. How much head space to you think the chickens need?

I think I covered everything you guys talked about.

Back
Top Bottom