Minnesota!

This is mine. It is a 36"x82" door that I attached to the wall and the two legs. The roost bars span across it and can hinge up to allow me room to scrape the poo down into the gutter at the front for removal.
Throw a thin layer of sweet pdz on there, the poo won't stick as much, it will also cut down on odor and wetness

I've noticed at my place the Hawks and eagles are usually gone by 3:30 or so. I usually don't let them or until then. Glad you got everyone to safety!

The crows ( my new best friends) announce the pending arrival of any predator. Since my father throws out cat food for them every winter we are in their favor.

My phone doesn't have multi quote, annoying. Scandiafowl, yes, that is the link I posted the other day. I believe that is what BogtownChick uses, or something similar to that. Don't see why it wouldn't work. They also have cinder block heaters you can make. Same premise, but with a cinder block instead of the cookie tin. Might work for you since you already have the cinder block out there.

Cinder block water heater

I'm so dumb, i'm sitting here at lunch, at my desk, on my phone app, and yes, my computer is right in front of me... cripes!
he.gif
I could have multi-quoted.

Looking back at it, it looks like I think I'm a know it all cause of the several different posts I quoted, i'm not, just throwing out suggestions, take them or leave them
smile.png
(but really, take them **** it, take them!) lol

Last edited:
The crows ( my new best friends) announce the pending arrival of any predator. Since my father throws out cat food for them every winter we are in their favor.
The crows and killdear also announce them at my house many times. I would like to throw out stuff for the crows, but they don't usually seem to come close enough. I"ll have to try cat food and see. I read an article where all these crows will leave gifts for people who leave them food. I'll see if I can find it, I thought it was so sweet!

Found it!

Crows bring gifts

Hi all - new here from Roseville, MN. Anyone in the area?! My family is starting the planning process for getting our chickens and coops next Spring. Any helpful tips/threads to look at for getting started? I have gotten a number of books from the library, but would love some local MN advice. What have you found works best for 3-4 hens, keeping coop maintained, coop styles, keeping predators out, keeping hens warm enough in the winter, etc?

Thanks for any help! This is a wealth of information, but a bit intimidating to sort through to a newbie :)

Hi all - new here from Roseville, MN.  Anyone in the area?! My family is starting the planning process for getting our chickens and coops next Spring.  Any helpful tips/threads to look at for getting started?  I have gotten a number of books from the library, but would love some local MN advice.  What have you found works best for 3-4 hens, keeping coop maintained, coop styles, keeping predators out, keeping hens warm enough in the winter, etc?

Thanks for any help!  This is a wealth of information, but a bit intimidating to sort through to a newbie :)

We are all around you :)

It will take time but reading through this site will educate you. It helped so much.

Right now we are in winter prep mode, water sources, poop boards, hawks and wolves are the hot topics.
Welcome!

Hey ladies and gentlemen, haven't been on in quite some time due to a new fiancé and stepson moving in, but its time to get a couple more chickens. My old black orpington finally succumed to her on again- off again crop issue and my easter egger was the victim of a possum or raccoon attack, so red2 (my buckeye) needs some chicken friends before winter arrives.
I'm looking for at least one easter or olive egger and either another ee/oe or another interesting, cold hardy breed like a barnevelder, sussex or orpington.
If anyone has a couple young hens available in or around the twin cities please let me know asap. I can come grab them late this week or this weekend.

Thanks in advance!
Phil

Hey ladies and gentlemen, haven't been on in quite some time due to a new fiancé and stepson moving in, but its time to get a couple more chickens. My old black orpington finally succumed to her on again- off again crop issue and my easter egger was the victim of a possum or raccoon attack, so red2 (my buckeye) needs some chicken friends before winter arrives. 
I'm looking for at least one easter or olive egger and either another ee/oe or another interesting, cold hardy breed like a barnevelder, sussex or orpington.
If anyone has a couple young hens available in or around the twin cities please let me know asap. I can come grab them late this week or this weekend.

Thanks in advance!
Phil

Hit craigslist and use the keyword chicken or hen and you will find all kinds of people a short drive around the cities thinning their flicks. I see new posts daily it seems

My phone doesn't have multi quote, annoying. Scandiafowl, yes, that is the link I posted the other day. I believe that is what BogtownChick uses, or something similar to that. Don't see why it wouldn't work. They also have cinder block heaters you can make. Same premise, but with a cinder block instead of the cookie tin. Might work for you since you already have the cinder block out there.[/quote

Thanks, that helps a lot. I'm a very visual learner.

What do you put underneath to keep the heater fire-safer?

Back
Top Bottom