Minnesota!

Excellent point. I'm going to get the dog bowl and run your same process. Cold days, straight out the bowl with something in the middle. Not so cold days, I'll stick the water fountain on it. Do you elevate your water bowl or keep it on the ground? I'm thinking of plopping it on an upright log.

How would you put a fountain in it?

Close call, outside with my 2 small dogs and watching the girls in the yard. When all of a sudden I noticed this hawk swooping in my yard and talons out ready to grab 1 of my dogs I started screaming to the coop. To the coop and running in that direction and the hawk started flapping his wings backwards and then right above us another hawk squealed. Chickens went running most went to the coop and couple went under compost bins. Hawks landed in oak tree above the chicken run. I grabbed dogs put them inside then chased the Hawks out of tree by throwing sticks at them. Got the other 2 girls in the run and locked the door.. Poor things have to be locked up on a nice day like today..

Yesterday a bald eagle circled our farm. Our dog is a bit too large but the girls made a dash for the brush!

I believe it's ear mites from what I've found out some chicken just seems to be allergic to them. Then she was scratching her ears then they got infected. I started them all on antibiotics and then ordered Ivomec which kills lice and mites then gave them all a dose. It only took 2 days for the swelling to start going down on her ears, but I did know the scab had to come off. I just needed a push to do it. I could tell that the antibiotics were working because the yellow glob was hardening. Compared to the 1st time I tried to do it. The 1st time I tried to give it a squeeze and pus came out, I didn't want to hurt her and it was really gross so I was hoping it would just heal on its own without me having to do anything but medicate.. it might have eventually but I'm sure it would have taken along time and I'm sure it couldn't have been comfortable till then. Don't get me wrong it was still gross but I'm glad I did it. And I would never have known what to do if it wasn't for fantastic and experienced people that have been through the same thing like Minniechicmama

Always glad to help when I can. You are doing a great job at getting her back on track.
When some of us start out at something like chicken raising, we find that Mother Nature likes to teach us lots of big lessons right away ;)

For those stuck at work on what is supposed to be a beautiful day, I hope you can steal some time outside or get out early!

Total count on last nights butter canning 30 pints and we went to bed somewhere between 3 and 4.
Great job, but staying up that late is nuts! You must be lots younger than me. i can't do that stuff anymore or I pay dearly the next day.

Back
Top Bottom