Minnesota!

I just dig it out of my driveway. But you can buy tubes of it at a farm and fleet or auto supply....the pick up truck drivers put them in their back ends for traction....I think also they sell construction sand at hardware or farm and fleet....maybe maybe...?

I just dig it out of my driveway.  But you can buy tubes of it at a farm and fleet or auto supply....the pick up truck drivers put them in their back ends for traction....I think also they sell construction sand at hardware or farm and fleet....maybe maybe...?

What is the silver stuff in the walls of your coop? It looks cozy. I imagined a disco light reflecting pretty colors...

It's an experiment.
hide.gif

It's called Reflectix. I got it from Home Depot. I saw it on a popular chicken blogger's new coop walls and I don't like full on insulation (mice and softening of my birds for winter) But I'm not a total hard-core -30 F is Good for my chickens person either. So I'm trying to just see if I can warm up the coop just a "bit" refracting chicken body heat and using the little bit of sun we have in the winter. It's essentially a bubble wrap with reflective foil. My only concern is covering up some of the venting of the coop... but I think I'll just keep it to the lower portions of the coop...as that's where they walk and mingle on cold days for food and water...and leave the upper portions of the coop without it. An experiment to figure out my coop's thermodynamics if you will.

Minnie says the mousies like to chew it and the birds may pick on it ...but I had already bought it before I got the advice...so I'll try it anyways. It can be ripped off pretty easy if need be and it's just turning into a mess. I'm liking the installation of it though. very easy. Its less messy than foam or fiberglass installing.

Next up is to find the disco ball.
gig.gif
Then you really won't be able to get me out of the coop. aka "Time Machine"

I live in Cannon Falls Mn. Have 2 chickens and a rooster right now. Adding 5 ISA reds, 5 Americana's, and 6 Silver Laced Wyandottes this week. We lost most of our flock to a feral dog that broke down the door to the coop while we were at work and killed most of my birds.

welcome @cagilberts . Minnie is down by you I think. Sorry to hear of your losses. Dogs are the biggest predator problems for chickens. It's always a good idea to build a sturdy coop and run if you don't free range.

I free range with the rooster and we do have 4 wheelers that go through our loop "walking" their dogs...but the Rooster seems to know how to keep the birds undercover or give the call when potential threats are around. He's pretty savvy about it and I've been impressed with him and our lack of losses despite not using the run. It almost seems like when the birds are contained...it's easier pickin's. IMHO. But not all folks can free range on their property and I understand the need for runs and such. Do you live in town or how do you remedy the threat?

Now I have an idea for a sand bath!

Where to buy sand?
Yeah, I liked that tub in the run for the dust bath too! I like all these pics of what every one is doing. I know some people use peat moss for dust baths, the birds like it, although I can't believe it does as much good as dust or sand. I add wood ash from the fireplace (not if you are burning weird stuff) to the dust bath.

I live in Cannon Falls Mn. Have 2 chickens and a rooster right now. Adding 5 ISA reds, 5 Americana's, and 6 Silver Laced Wyandottes this week. We lost most of our flock to a feral dog that broke down the door to the coop while we were at work and killed most of my birds.
Wecome! sorry to hear about your losses, I've also lost most of a flock to a pet dog that dug under fences. Its awful. Glad you have new birds coming!

We live on a small hobby farm. I free ranged my flock a few years ago and lost almost all my birds over the course of a few days so my husband built me a huge outdoor pen that's attached to the coop. They are cooped after dark but have outside access during the day. Like you said, the chickens didn't stand a chance once the dog got in. The 2 hens and rooster that survived still aren't back to normal... No eggs and they spend most of their day on the roost. I free range them when I'm around to watch them but am now wondering what would be better? I needed up security in the contained area and believe it to be predator proof but I'm not sure o wouldn't be better off just having them free. My other concern is the dog coming back for more. We are adding 16 adult birds to our flock this week. I'm hoping that will help distress the few I have. I figured I could put them all together right away as
They are not all come from the same place. Do you think that would be okay? I really can't handle losing any more chickens and o don't think Earl( my too) could either.

Now I have an idea for a sand bath!

Where to buy sand?
I use organic peat moss either plain, or with a small amount of sand or sweet pdz, and small amount of diatimacious earth. I wish I had wood ash, but don't at this point. I buy play sand from Menards.
Welcome to byc
welcome-byc.gif
, so sorry to hear about your birds. That is terrible.
sad.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom