Minnesota!

Kloppers, Great wood work. I never thought of making my own Lincoln logs, what a great gift idea.

The print is great. Nice score.

Minnie, I am going to plan on processing earlier next year on the turkeys, I do not like them getting this big either. I spend all my time worrying about if he will live until Wednesday. The other one is smaller, but I may have to process the one today just to no lose everything. I have 'talked' to blanchranch (ok a PM) about it.

Next year I am going to try more BB turkeys, but they will have to be processed earlier, as much as I like the idea of fresh turkey at T-day, I like the idea pf the turkeys making it to the table better.

Coffee, I picked up the turkey I thought you could have. I am afraid I have to renege on offering him to you. He is all bones. He is going to be huge but he needs time to fill out those bones. I am surprised how deceiving the "heritage" turkeys are. They look huge but they are all bones without a lot of meat. I started wondering when I saw him fly 40 yards yesterday. I did not think a bird ready to be eaten would fly that far and high. So I checked him out.

He just is not worth the effort of processing and cooking. I am so sorry to have to renege, I should have checked him out closer ( picked him up and felt his breasts) before I said you could have him. I am sorry. really am.

There, now the whole thread knows I not only do not know everything, but I make major mistakes too. Holm you will need to find a more fit role model now.

Now the rest of you type! I have coffee to drink and need posts!

Such a beautiful day! My DH & DIL came & got the leaves done in about 4 hrs. Last year it took 4 guys 10 hrs to get the job done as they didn't have the right equipment. DS had 2 mowers going & the blower. If I had a trac vac it would be faster yet. One day maybe. Grand daughter helped me wash windows. She did the inside I did the outside. I taught her how to do it the way that pros wash windows. Took us about an hour. I finished painting the outside of the coop & got the inside painted. I need to get the plastic up on the run but that won't take long. Feels so good to get things done!
Aussiegal, I am afraid you are going to have to pull a ralphie and have a window washing clinic at your house. need to know how the pros do it! or wait, your windows are clean, so you could hold it at my house, I would sacrifice the pleasure I get washing windows to this good cause.

Im back in the promised land! Made it back into radio range to listen to the last quarter and

Then we spent most of today making jigs then hammering out mega piles of Lincolin Logs! we used to play them as kids, so we made them for his son and our other brothers kid. still have to figure out the roof trusses and slats.
way cool idea on the lincoln logs. I'ld say you probably have something you could definitely sell!

i am still fighting that darn wanna-be broody! i have gone out 4 times and thrown her off the nest each time since ive gotten home! everytime i toss her she runs over and eats... so i guess that is a good thing. she isnt mean either, just makes dinosaur sounds when i bother her.
I don't think you can break her by simply tossing her off the nest at this point. If you have a wire cage, put her in it for 2-3 days at least, with food and water. Best if it has a wire bottom and you hang it or put it up on buckets or something so there is some air underneath her to cool her down.

If you don't have a kennel, try putting her in a fenced run - someway to keep her away from the nest boxes. That has worked for me too when the kennel is already occupied by a broody. You can put her on the roost each night, and take her off in the morning and put her in the run.

She is definitely too into it now for simply removing her fom the nest.

Aussiegal, I am afraid you are going to have to pull a ralphie and have a window washing clinic at your house. need to know how the pros do it! or wait, your windows are clean, so you could hold it at my house, I would sacrifice the pleasure I get washing windows to this good cause.

I should have thought of this, I would be a hero with the Mrs!

way cool idea on the lincoln logs. I'ld say you probably have something you could definitely sell!

I just burned a bunch of blocking 2x2 ,2x3,2x4 and 4x4 about a foot long that was just filling barrels, I could have made Lincoln logs and sold them ..duh!

I don't think you can break her by simply tossing her off the nest at this point. If you have a wire cage, put her in it for 2-3 days at least, with food and water. Best if it has a wire bottom and you hang it or put it up on buckets or something so there is some air underneath her to cool her down.

If you don't have a kennel, try putting her in a fenced run - someway to keep her away from the nest boxes. That has worked for me too when the kennel is already occupied by a broody. You can put her on the roost each night, and take her off in the morning and put her in the run.

Some just refuse to break, the BA that adopted the guineas was one that would not break, I locked her in a cage, I gave her cold baths, I threatened her with the axe, nothing worked. Even though the guineas are 5 months old she is still mothering them, and laying eggs. BUT she is a good influence on the guineas, they are more mellow than other guineas I have had and wander less.

SO Kloppers, good luck on your hen.

Aussiegal, I am afraid you are going to have to pull a ralphie and have a window washing clinic at your house.  need to know how the pros do it!  or wait, your windows are clean, so you could hold it at my house, I would sacrifice the pleasure I get washing windows to this good cause.

way cool idea on the lincoln logs.  I'ld say you probably have something you could definitely sell!

I don't think you can break her by simply tossing her off the nest at this point.  If you have a wire cage, put her in it for 2-3 days at least, with food and water.  Best if it has a wire bottom and you hang it or put it up on buckets or something so there is some air underneath her to cool her down.  

If you don't have a kennel, try putting her in a fenced run - someway to keep her away from the nest boxes.  That has worked for me too when the kennel is already occupied by a broody.  You can put her on the roost each night, and take her off in the morning and put her in the run. 

Yes, I plan to put her in a wire cage tonight. Probably with 24 hour light too. She is hogging the favorite best of most of the coop so they have been laying on the floor, which I don't care for

Hey Mn friends have a question still new at the chicken thing,,, has you know I have 6 lady's that about 6 moths old I got them in may.. but they have been laying really good up to last week I was getting 5 eggs a day and now I'm only getting 2 eggs, I know that they need light to produce eggs so I put a light in their coop. So how much light time do they really need and what time should I have it come on, right now I have it set for 3 am, and the sun goes down about 5pm ish. is there anything else I can do?

Hey Mn friends have a question still new at the chicken thing,,, has you know I have 6 lady's that about 6 moths old I got them in may.. but they have been laying really good up to last week I was getting 5 eggs a day and now I'm only getting 2 eggs, I know that they need light to produce eggs so I put a light in their coop. So how much light time do they really need and what time should I have it come on, right now I have it set for 3 am, and the sun goes down about 5pm ish. is there anything else I can do?

I found I needed a real bright light not a night light type thing. I think I had a bare 100 watt bulb in mine last year. It will take a couple weeks for the light to work. Pullets are easy to keep laying. wait until next year and see how hard it is.

I got 2 eggs yesterday off 25 hens. I am not using lights, I think both eggs came from the young ones, I know one was Bertha's.

this is what I have in the coop is that x-mas rope light it's 25 feet long. do you think I need more. and do I have it coming at the right time.. this morning when I left for the lady's were outside at 630am

Kloppers, Great wood work. I never thought of making my own Lincoln logs, what a great gift idea.

The print is great.  Nice score.

Minnie, I am going to plan on processing earlier next year on the turkeys,  I do not like them getting this big either. I spend all my time worrying about if he will live until Wednesday.  The other one is smaller, but I may have to process the one today just to no lose everything.   I have 'talked' to blanchranch  (ok a PM) about it. 

Next year I am going to try more BB turkeys, but they will have to be processed earlier, as much as I like the idea of fresh turkey at T-day, I like the idea pf the turkeys  making it to the table better.

Coffee, I picked up the turkey I thought you could have. I am afraid I have to renege on offering him to you. He is all bones. He is going to be huge but he needs time to fill out those bones.  I am surprised how deceiving the "heritage" turkeys are.   They look huge but they are all bones without a lot of meat.  I started wondering when I saw him fly 40 yards yesterday. I did not think a bird ready to be eaten would fly that far and high. So I checked him out.

He just is not worth the effort of processing and cooking. I am so sorry to have to renege, I should have checked him out closer ( picked him up and felt his breasts) before I said you could have him. I am sorry. really am. 

There, now the whole thread knows I not only do not know everything, but I make major mistakes too.  Holm you will need to find a more fit role model now.

Now the rest of you type!  I have coffee to drink and need posts!
That's fine,, just put a band on him and whenever he is ready just lmk..

Back
Top Bottom