Minnesota!

When someone starts to rely on this environment as a source of socialization and to meet your "friendship" needs, that can be problematic as well.

I'd hope we can let water run under the bridge.

When someone starts to rely on this environment as a source of socialization and to meet your "friendship" needs, that can be problematic as well.

I'd hope we can let water run under the bridge.

Exactly. I thought of that too, but didn't know how to say it without sounding offensive. Some people might not socialize in the real world much so maybe they don't have the best social skills to begin with. If a chicken forum is their only outlet things are bound to get off topic in a hurry. Not that I think we should ONLY talk about chickens, but maybe just keep politics, religion and other weighty topics out of it.
smile.png

And on the other hand, some people might get offended too easily even if we are sticking to benign topics. What are ya gonna do
idunno.gif

Are there any pitfalls to allowing a broody hen to hatch eggs?
I can't think of any!
lol.png

Except maybe not right at this moment...it's gonna be gettin' cold!

Last edited:
you know, I know Ralphie has taken a leave of absence here (and is so missed), but he is not the only one who likes to see posts to read in the morning?

where is everybody?

We have been talking through PMs and he said he has been busy...

Scandia, broody raised chicks are the absolute easiest. Momma does all the work, and I've noticed broody raised chicks really know how to forage.
It isn't the best time for chicks, but I know of people whose broody raised them in the dead of winter just fine. You don't need to provide light or heat, momma keeps them warm.

Except, if you let her sit on so many eggs that the chicks won't fit under her...perhaps that would be a problem.
If you are lucky, there might be some co-parenting going on:

These sisters couldn't bear it when one of them was cordoned off and brooding. Within a few days of the chicks hatching, and after watching the two that weren't the mom desperately try to get to the chicks, I let them have access (watching carefully). All three hens got along fine, and all participated in chick raising. All three hens would have chicks under their feathers.

I may be wrong, but that is not likely. I believe that this thread is primarily for socialization and any education one might encounter is a result of the socializing.
If a person is searching for knowledge related to chicken keeping and management there are other threads on BYC that would better fill that purpose. There are also threads that address issues related to particular breeds of chicken or other type of fowl, and in addition there are threads on genetics, Standard of Perfection and etc.
I believe that BYC has policies which relate to political or religious subject matter, but not everyone has the same definition as to what is political or religious?
It seems that some have left the thread at least temporarily due to not appreciating the direction some of the comments were taking?
I hope that my writing has not offended anyone, as that is not my intent. Even with that thought I would say that if I am not in agreement with some of the points made by others I would express that.
Those that seem to have left are good people, and they have provided much of interest and benefit. I will miss them.

Scandia, broody raised chicks are the absolute easiest. Momma does all the work, and I've noticed broody raised chicks really know how to forage. It isn't the best time for chicks, but I know of people whose broody raised them in the dead of winter just fine. You don't need to provide light or heat, momma keeps them warm. Except, if you let her sit on so many eggs that the chicks won't fit under her...perhaps that would be a problem. If you are lucky, there might be some co-parenting going on: These sisters couldn't bear it when one of them was cordoned off and brooding. Within a few days of the chicks hatching, and after watching the two that weren't the mom desperately try to get to the chicks, I let them have access (watching carefully). All three hens got along fine, and all participated in chick raising. All three hens would have chicks under their feathers.
I'll let her keep four eggs and remove all others. Since we are getting 9-12 eggs per day we can afford this. She hardly a homicidal broody.

round.

to make life easy, order that molly's herbal wormer . http://www.fiascofarm.com/herbs/mollysherbals.php/categories/herbal-wormer
easy as pie, you just mix the herbs with the feed for three days. and then you can give them a weekly maintenance dose of a different herb blend. I'm kind of lax about that, because I forget. Thanks for reminding me now!

or you can go with a chemical wormer, but you will have egg withdrawa (feed eggs back to flock ) for about 21 days or something because you have to do two doses. Need to worm everyone!

molly's, you don't have any withdrawal time, and it does work. so easy. havent' done fecal float tests afterwards, but know of people who did to double check its effectiveness.

Someone else can tell you which wormers do roundworm, etc.

Do you worm as a precaution or just when you see the worms?

Back
Top Bottom