Minnesota!

There have been a lot of Muscovies released into the wild and have become an invasive species in the South, especially Florida. There was talk of bans on them a few years ago because of this. My brother worked in the Fish and Wildlife Service and told me about all this when I was discussing breeds with him one time. The quality of being such good brooders and mothers makes them great for keeping on the farm, but if they get out in the wild, they can quickly take over the natural habitat of other waterfowl. Just one more reason too, to clip your wings on waterfowl and keep them home. Mallards are a wild specie, but more than one Call duck keeper has gone out to find their little Calls have flown to coop to join their wild cousins, but those are ducks not accustomed to life in the wild and often end up food for other critters.

Thank you everyone for all the awesome information!! I feel like I don't know anything confused to when I hear everyone talk. With that being said, when people come to my place, they are like... how did you learn all of this?! It's because of you all!! :)

Last edited:
If you live in Minneapolis, read this!

All,

Today the HECE Committee of the City Council voted to postpone a final vote on the proposed Animal Care and Control ordinance due to concerns brought forward by a chicken rescue group. The rescue group spokesperson spoke to the committee asking them not to pass the proposal that would allow for more chicken ownership in the city.

Chicken owners, if you support backyard chickens and want to see more responsible bird ownership in the city, please call or email the city councilors on the committee to let them know you support the policy changes that would make it easier to own birds in the city.

The members of the committee are:

Cam Gordon, [email protected] (612) 673-2202
Andrew Johnson, [email protected] (612) 673-2212
Elizabeth Gliden, [email protected] (612) 673-2208
Jacob Frey, [email protected] (612) 673-2203
Alondra Cano, [email protected] (612) 673-2209
Lisa Bender, [email protected](612) 673-2210

Here’s some of the proposed changes:
  • Neighbor signature requirement dropped for anyone keeping 6 or less birds
  • Licenses renewed one year from date received (instead of everyone renewing in January)
  • Commercial licenses available for anyone wanting to raise up to 30 birds for egg sales
  • Composting of chicken poo will now be allowed
  • Roosters still allowed with special permit
  • Permits classified into three (3) tiers, allowing for more birds with Tier I consisting of one (1) to six (6) hens, Tier II of seven (7) to fifteen (15) hens and Tier III of sixteen (16) to thirty (30) hens

I hope everyone had a nice weekend! I was on call at work, so I spent most of my weekend working for folks that don't like to show up for their shifts. It was very, very, very exciting *insert extreme sarcasm*

@Minniechickmama and @destiny_56085 , I find myself a bit nervous to trim the beak. The chick sits for it fine, but I worry about over trimming or is that not really possible due to the density?

It's always saddening looking at a basket of eggs you can't eat. The ladies, on the other hand, love getting spoiled with scrambled eggs! I think I'll wait another 2 or 3 weeks just to be sure the antibiotics are out of their system before we eat them.

I forgot, why can't you eat the eggs? am guessing you must be treating the flock with chemical wormers or perhaps some antibiotics? I would go back and find out but....I'm lazy (
hu.gif
nice selection of colors!

I hope everyone had a nice weekend! I was on call at work, so I spent most of my weekend working for folks that don't like to show up for their shifts. It was very, very, very exciting *insert extreme sarcasm*

@Minniechickmama and @destiny_56085 , I find myself a bit nervous to trim the beak. The chick sits for it fine, but I worry about over trimming or is that not really possible due to the density?

It's always saddening looking at a basket of eggs you can't eat. The ladies, on the other hand, love getting spoiled with scrambled eggs! I think I'll wait another 2 or 3 weeks just to be sure the antibiotics are out of their system before we eat them.

I thought you were not supposed to feed the eggs back to the chickens if treating with antibiotics. I don't know but I thought I read that on here (BYC). Maybe it was the worming medication. I don't know. Just thought I would mention it if anyone knows for sure.

Back
Top Bottom