Minnesota!

I tried last week and stuff was still froze solid at the base though. A good week of these temps has everything solid mush though. I got the 3 smallest coops done yesterday and it took as long as it normally takes to do all my pens. Its all that wet heavy crap! Stopped at Runnings last night for another truckload of shavings. Have to tackle 3 more big pens and 1 little one today. The whole barn aisle has to be scraped and swept too yet. Just one of those days that you end up so filthy that you can't even walk in the house without shedding some clothes.

I'm also guilty of just piling more bedding on top of the old frozen gunk too. State vet came out 2 weeks ago to train my mom on how to AI swab and I thought I'd make everything look all nice by throwing down another layer of straw on top of all the shavings. Now its just a bigger mess and wet matted straw is even more of a pain to clean up. Dingy me!

might have to happen! been pondering how to get the little buggers into a carrying cage. think would have to get the cage inside the run and surprise trap them after they are in it to investigate.
If you want to drive down here that would be great!
big_smile.png
Put food in the cage, that should work right?

I'm also guilty of just piling more bedding on top of the old frozen gunk too. State vet came out 2 weeks ago to train my mom on how to AI swab and I thought I'd make everything look all nice by throwing down another layer of straw on top of all the shavings. Now its just a bigger mess and wet matted straw is even more of a pain to clean up. Dingy me!
Why I do not use straw in the pens. The only place there is straw is in the outdoor runs and the hoop which has no floor. Even with my coop that has a wood floor and I use vinyl flooring, it will come up, but it is big chunks. I can break it if it is frozen shavings and poop, but you put straw in that and you might as well get a chain saw to get it apart.

Wow! All this talk of mud, and seeing pictures with barely any snow on the ground.... I'm still buried under a good three feet of snow!
Well, that it kind of what you get for living on the Arrowhead, dear. ;)

If you want to drive down here that would be great!
big_smile.png
Put food in the cage, that should work right?
Where do you live? I thought you were up around the Iron Range, so I must have been way off. I am definitely south of lala.

GREAT NEWS! My first hatch is almost done. Out of 36 eggs, I have definitely lost one, but there are just three left and all have pipped. I went to be at 2:45am and about half were out, and this morning it is hopping with little fluff balls. If those three hatch, this will be one of the best hatches I have ever had. I love it!!!

Why I do not use straw in the pens. The only place there is straw is in the outdoor runs and the hoop which has no floor. Even with my coop that has a wood floor and I use vinyl flooring, it will come up, but it is big chunks. I can break it if it is frozen shavings and poop, but you put straw in that and you might as well get a chain saw to get it apart.

Well, that it kind of what you get for living on the Arrowhead, dear. ;)

Where do you live? I thought you were up around the Iron Range, so I must have been way off. I am definitely south of lala.

GREAT NEWS! My first hatch is almost done. Out of 36 eggs, I have definitely lost one, but there are just three left and all have pipped. I went to be at 2:45am and about half were out, and this morning it is hopping with little fluff balls. If those three hatch, this will be one of the best hatches I have ever had. I love it!!!
Stevens County. Quite a ways from the Iron range. That's great! I forgot what you were hatching, was it cream legbars?

Back
Top Bottom