Minnesota!

The Buckeyes are growing like weeds! I love these little guys so much!

And... The new bull!! He is a 15 month old SimAngus and weighs in at 1,430lbs. Hes gonna be a monster!

Impressive ! Is he of gentle character?

I was just going to ask you how those little Bucks were doing!?!?  I am so glad you like them so well!  It is funny, I put all their brothers and sisters into a big pen in the big building and now they come over and peck at my feet and check out what I am doing.  I have one NH cockerel in the group too that roosts up on my nest boxes and just sits there watching, he even pecked at my backside while I was feeding the top pen of bantams over that big pen.   

They're doing great! They grow really fast!! I have them on a grower feed from the feed mill here. What do u usually feed show birds? Just the grower til u get closer to shows?

Impressive ! Is he of gentle character?

He is really docile. I have been in with him alot and he hasnt done anything weird. He should be around 2,500lbs when fully grown so he has alot of growing left!

Well. Tomorrow is gonna be rough. We have to get a lasso on a cow who wont let her calf nurse and tie her to the big pole in the loaving shed. We will see how it goes. He was born on Tuesday after the bull came. We r thinking the bull induced labor when he "jumped" the cow aka trued to breed her while she was pregnant. Aftet it was born I noticed it wasnt doing well so we checked on it and it was shaking like crazy, couldnt stand and was in very bad condition. So we rubbbed him down with towels and gave him a bottle. Now two days later he is still weak but doing much better. We got some "real" colostrum that we froze from our milk cow instead of store bought junk and he is alot more spunky. Hoping he gets better soon!!

They're doing great! They grow really fast!! I have them on a grower feed from the feed mill here. What do u usually feed show birds? Just the grower til u get closer to shows?

I feed a regular chick start (22%) until 3 to 4 months, then switch to a finisher (18%) until just about point of lay. I feed show birds the same as all my others. If you want to do anything extra, maybe some extra corn, but just a little the last couple of weeks before show, to help the legs yellow up a little more. Cracked corn is what I use. The rest is about conditioning.

He is really docile. I have been in with him alot and he hasnt done anything weird. He should be around 2,500lbs when fully grown so he has alot of growing left!

BE VERY CAREFUL AND NEVER TRUST HIM, please for your own safety. I know how fast a bull can turn and it is not safe to underestimate them, even the most docile of them. If cows are around who are in heat, you never know how a bull is going to respond.

Well. Tomorrow is gonna be rough. We have to get a lasso on a cow who wont let her calf nurse and tie her to the big pole in the loaving shed. We will see how it goes. He was born on Tuesday after the bull came. We r thinking the bull induced labor when he "jumped" the cow aka trued to breed her while she was pregnant. Aftet it was born I noticed it wasnt doing well so we checked on it and it was shaking like crazy, couldnt stand and was in very bad condition. So we rubbbed him down with towels and gave him a bottle. Now two days later he is still weak but doing much better. We got some "real" colostrum that we froze from our milk cow instead of store bought junk and he is alot more spunky. Hoping he gets better soon!!

That doesn't sound so good. I'm glad you had the colostrum for it. Those cows who won't let them nurse are a pain. I hope getting her started doesn't take too long and she gets used to it. Having a baby and all that edema in the udder is painful. As a mom who's been there three times, I appreciate what animals go through when having babies.

Last edited:
that is lucky having the colostrum. Holm, is that why it was taken and frozen and not given to the other calf? to have on hand for any struggling calves?

tomorrow is hatch day, which means for broodies maybe today!! coming home from work yesterday I realized I had neglected to pick up any chick feed, so I was calling the feed places I would pass on my 75 mile drive home from work. Could not believe only choices were crumbles. Not happy about having to go another 50 miles north to my feed mill, when I remembered...I have some game bird feed at 22% that will hold them for a few days.

Used my phone to check byc, and sure enough there are people using gamebird for chicks, some saying they had done it for years without any issues.
I will get some chick feed on Monday.

Lots of chores today (took day off because it could be hatch day): paint the door frames for the hoop coop, cover it with wire, install door, etc. Build a temporary pen for the two new broodies. does it ever stop?

Back
Top Bottom