Minnesota!

Glad to hear it!

One of my cats is still out sowing his oats somewhere, or so we hope. He may or may not return and we have accepted that. our 3 remaining cats are content on the farm. The one with the bum leg is healing nicely. we rinsed it the one time and trimmed back his fur and he has kept it clean. he is even walking on it again
klopklop I was wondering about your boy. Glad to hear the bum leg is healing well.

Are your broodies still, well, broody?

And minniechickmama, would you worry about new chicks under a broody at 27degrees? I'm thinking the little hen will be fine keeping her chicks warm, but would hate to find out I am guessing wrong!

Holms, whatever you do, DO NOT POST pictures of those adorable kitties. I might have to get in the truck and come sweet talk you and your family into letting me adopt one. or two. or heck, maybe all that you can spare
roll.png

klopklop I was wondering about your boy.  Glad to hear the bum leg is healing well.

And minniechickmama, would you worry about new chicks under a broody at 27degrees?  I'm thinking the little hen will be fine keeping her chicks warm, but would hate to find out I am guessing wrong!

Holms, whatever you do, DO NOT POST pictures of those adorable kitties.  I might have to get in the truck and come sweet talk you and your family into letting me adopt one. or two. or heck, maybe all that you can spare:rolleyes:

He is spunky as ever and still probably half again bigger than his 2 remaining litter mates.

My hens are still sitting. The older one I don't think has gotten off the eggs since I set her. The other hen I'm not certain about. I have seen her get off the best a few times when I am in the shed for feed for the other chickens. I think she is curious. I have since blocked her view of me when I am getting food and have been leaving the lights off. There are 2 north facing Windows so there is some natural light but no direct light shining on them now.
I'm really excited for them!

klopklop I was wondering about your boy. Glad to hear the bum leg is healing well.

And minniechickmama, would you worry about new chicks under a broody at 27degrees? I'm thinking the little hen will be fine keeping her chicks warm, but would hate to find out I am guessing wrong!

Holms, whatever you do, DO NOT POST pictures of those adorable kitties. I might have to get in the truck and come sweet talk you and your family into letting me adopt one. or two. or heck, maybe all that you can spare
roll.png

They should be fine, it won't be extended cold and those mommas are hot under their fluff. However, I do not do broody hens either. I know I have seen where people let broodies do their thing when it is a lot colder.
He is spunky as ever and still probably half again bigger than his 2 remaining litter mates.

My hens are still sitting. The older one I don't think has gotten off the eggs since I set her. The other hen I'm not certain about. I have seen her get off the best a few times when I am in the shed for feed for the other chickens. I think she is curious. I have since blocked her view of me when I am getting food and have been leaving the lights off. There are 2 north facing Windows so there is some natural light but no direct light shining on them now.
I'm really excited for them!

Broodies are like momma rabbits, I think. They never want to let you see them doing their thing. With rabbits it is feeding their kits - they do it early in the morning when no one is looking. I think broodies like doing the same, get up and poop, eat and drink, then head back to the nest before anyone spots them doing it.

Glad you found your kitty Lala!!

The momma cat here had 6 kittens that are to frickin cute! There is 2 white ones, 1 Tuxedo, 2 black with orange faces and 1 orange! And the other momma cat is prego too! So now there is 9 cats from the ones that my aunt brought and the neighbors barn cats that come over to create more little kitties. The original mom, baby and dad are gone but these are their babies.

And the free spay and neuturing at the tech was about 3 weeks ago!
1f635.png
What tech has free spay and neutering and how often do they do it? I have to get a handle on my cat population and just can't afford $100 buck a cat.

roll.png
I'm not sure were the two of you live but I think I'm much closer than Holms is.
wink.png
(And no sweet talking necessary, just bring the truck and load 'em up.)

What tech has free spay and neutering and how often do they do it? I have to get a handle on my cat population and just can't afford $100 buck a cat.

I'm not sure were the two of you live but I think I'm much closer than Holms is. ;)  (And no sweet talking necessary, just bring the truck and load 'em up.)
There are 2 mobile spay and neuter clinics that come to town here almost quarterly. Kindest cut and MnSnap. Worth checking out. I forget which one I called but one of those wouldn't do my cats because I 'make too much money' and they are focused on providing service to lower income people.
My local vet will do my girl for $140 I just need to get her in there

roll.png
I'll post pics! We have two oranges, one really cool lilac, and 5 brown, black, and orange ones!

I'm not sure were the two of you live but I think I'm much closer than Holms is.
wink.png
(And no sweet talking necessary, just bring the truck and load 'em up.)
I'm WAY closer than both @holm25 and @bantiesrule !!!! @lalaland

I tossed the younger BA off her nest tonight. She wasn't on it this afternoon and had knocked the divider between the two nests down and was pestering the other hen. There was another young BA hen playing pancake since I picked the first one and so I just dropped her on the nest.
Are the eggs she was on lost? Should I let her get settled for a day or two then sneak a fresh batch of eggs under her? It has been cool here and I would guess the other hen was off the nest most of the day I would guess

There are 2 mobile spay and neuter clinics that come to town here almost quarterly. Kindest cut and MnSnap. Worth checking out. I forget which one I called but one of those wouldn't do my cats because I 'make too much money' and they are focused on providing service to lower income people.
My local vet will do my girl for $140 I just need to get her in there

It cost me over $300 to get our two girls done and then the momma cat took off a few weeks later. She came back once after 2 weeks, then again after 3 weeks and we haven't seen her since. At least I am not contributing to the expanding cat population. Some vets will do a farm cat special and charge just a minimal fee. I think my vet does a lot of the rescue type places in Rochester's 'fixing'.

I tossed the younger BA off her nest tonight. She wasn't on it this afternoon and had knocked the divider between the two nests down and was pestering the other hen. There was another young BA hen playing pancake since I picked the first one and so I just dropped her on the nest.
Are the eggs she was on lost? Should I let her get settled for a day or two then sneak a fresh batch of eggs under her? It has been cool here and I would guess the other hen was off the nest most of the day I would guess

I would try her out to see if she is serious with what you have, then put fresh under her in a few days. You can hold eggs for up to 10 days before they start losing fertility too. Just keep them in a cool place and turn them if you can until you put them under her. You could candle the ones there now, but my guess is that other one wasn't on the nest enough to get them cookin' right.

thats aggravating.

Seaquist, the little hen that looks like a seagull and has been sitting on three eggs, hatched one and yesterday I didn't see the eggs when she lifted up a bit. I dug around, and she had scratched hay over them and was sitting on top of that. She had pooped in the nest too, that might have been why she pulled hay over the eggs and poop. I put the eggs back but they were barely warm, almost cool. So I am expecting to toss them today/

Her lone chick came from one of the tiny eggs, so it is either half bantam, half icelandic, half seaquist, or half silkie. I tried not to get any silkie eggs in nest, so....guess we will see.

here's an important question: do you line the cattle panel hoop coop with hardware cloth on the inside or the outside?

Back
Top Bottom