Minnesota!

oohhhh she is so sweet! But you couldnt just have one cow, could you? wouldnt they need a companion?

When I retire, I think it might a great idea to get a milk cow. Course, that would definitely tie me down a lot more than the chickens do. And I would have to get milking lessons and figure out where to put the milk, and,,,,so maybe what I really need is a neighbor with a milk cow :)

Where I live used to be all dairy farms, not too many left now. There is one a few miles away that probably has 800 or a 1,000 cows. They are always advertising for help, I figure the young kids would rather work for less at an easy job.

THe high school here has a tradition, that on one of the last days of school, the seniors bring tractors to school - they gather at the county fairground, some have hay wagons, and the senior class on tractors (some humongous ones that take up more than a lane, down to the old farmalls and small ones - last year someone even rode a lawn tractor!. Anyway, they parade through mainstreet to the high school. Sometimes the dads are waiting at the hs because they need those tractors in the field at this time of the year.

anyway...gorgeous day. Happy chickens, happy chicks, and I get to get some of the garden planted before trying to finish up that blessed hoop coop.

oohhhh she is so sweet! But you couldnt just have one cow, could you? wouldnt they need a companion?

When I retire, I think it might a great idea to get a milk cow. Course, that would definitely tie me down a lot more than the chickens do. And I would have to get milking lessons and figure out where to put the milk, and,,,,so maybe what I really need is a neighbor with a milk cow :)

Where I live used to be all dairy farms, not too many left now. There is one a few miles away that probably has 800 or a 1,000 cows. They are always advertising for help, I figure the young kids would rather work for less at an easy job.

THe high school here has a tradition, that on one of the last days of school, the seniors bring tractors to school - they gather at the county fairground, some have hay wagons, and the senior class on tractors (some humongous ones that take up more than a lane, down to the old farmalls and small ones - last year someone even rode a lawn tractor!. Anyway, they parade through mainstreet to the high school. Sometimes the dads are waiting at the hs because they need those tractors in the field at this time of the year.

anyway...gorgeous day. Happy chickens, happy chicks, and I get to get some of the garden planted before trying to finish up that blessed hoop coop.

We just milk once a day in the evening and the calf nurses in the morning. Its easy and not as time consuming as twice a day.

Dairy cows are really fun. But there is a special place in my heart for big beef cows
big_smile.png

What you need is one Jersey cow. They don't produce as much milk as Holsteins, but it is higher in butterfat so you can make other things from it like butter with less whole milk. They are SO docile and lovely. You have them freshen in February so that by the time the cold hits again, you are drying her off and then freshen out again in 12-month cylces. It works good on paper, but if they don't settle right when you want with breeding, then it changes up that plan. Still, they are off milking for 2-months of the year ;)
Yes, I would be a cow enabler too if I had them! I grew up on a dairy farm, and I do love cows. In fact, I like beef cattle almost as much. I liked the daily contact with each one as we milked them. Milking isn't that difficult to do, it is knowing when they are done that is the tricky part.

What you need is one Jersey cow.  They don't produce as much milk as Holsteins, but it is higher in butterfat so you can make other things from it like butter with less whole milk.  They are SO docile and lovely.  You have them freshen in February so that by the time the cold hits again, you are drying her off and then freshen out again in 12-month cylces.  It works good on paper, but if they don't settle right when you want with breeding, then it changes up that plan.  Still, they are off milking for 2-months of the year ;)

Yes, I would be a cow enabler too if I had them!  I grew up on a dairy farm, and I do love cows.  In fact, I like beef cattle almost as much.  I liked the daily contact with each one as we milked them.  Milking isn't that difficult to do, it is knowing when they are done that is the tricky part.

The Brindle calf is half Paint Jersey and half Angus. She is a sweet heart and should be a good family milk cow.

Cow pusher! I have a few acres of open land that just sits there being unused. I keep the chickens out of it because that's where the eagles like to hover over. It could probably use a cow or a horse. Or both. I came home with another duck yesterday, so I'm thinking he finally gave up wondering what I'm up to :)

Two nights ago the 7 week old chicks seemed to decide that the big girl coop was the place to be for the night. For about a week their playpen fence has been down since they have been flying over it anyway. The hens don't seem to mind. So I sat down in the coop in the evening to observe and make sure no one was going to get hurt. One by one the chicks came in and rooster on me or around me (so sweet). The hens kept them off the roosts but otherwise left them alone. Near dusk I locked them all up. Went to check on them just as it was getting dark and the chicks were standing in a corner screaming their heads off. It certainly wasn't cold, so I think they were scared of the dark (first night without light). I went to turn on their shed light next door, and went back to coop and called the chicks to me and led them out the door. The followed me to the light in their shed and immediately settled down and went to sleep. Last night I encouraged them to go to bed in their shed but left the light off. I guess I'll get them used to the dark before I move them to the coop. One new scary ordeal at a time! I never thought chicks would be afraid of the dark!

Good morning all! Been busy busy and not much time for BYC. Got my garden started this weekend and a ton of clean up work around the farm. All my birds are doing well and thee young ones are growing quickly!

Anyone here willing to take in a young duck and a swan (well she says its a swan but I am guessing its a pekin duck)? My neighbor has them cooped up in a hot garage all day and doesnt have the resources to take care of them. Getting ready to take them to a shelter if I cant find a place for them soon. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. They are in Little Canada, Minnesota.

Last edited:
Two nights ago the 7 week old chicks seemed to decide that the big girl coop was the place to be for the night. For about a week their playpen fence has been down since they have been flying over it anyway. The hens don't seem to mind. So I sat down in the coop in the evening to observe and make sure no one was going to get hurt. One by one the chicks came in and rooster on me or around me (so sweet). The hens kept them off the roosts but otherwise left them alone. Near dusk I locked them all up. Went to check on them just as it was getting dark and the chicks were standing in a corner screaming their heads off. It certainly wasn't cold, so I think they were scared of the dark (first night without light). I went to turn on their shed light next door, and went back to coop and called the chicks to me and led them out the door. The followed me to the light in their shed and immediately settled down and went to sleep. Last night I encouraged them to go to bed in their shed but left the light off. I guess I'll get them used to the dark before I move them to the coop. One new scary ordeal at a time! I never thought chicks would be afraid of the dark!

I had some complaints from the coop the first night or two I brought my chicks out. Fussy little things, huh? Lol

If the weather allowed, I started shutting off the brooder light at night once they got more feathers to help transition them. Then, I'd turn it back on when I went to work in the morning. Whether or not it makes a difference, who knows.

Anyone here willing to take in a young duck and a swan (well she says its a swan but I am guessing its a pekin duck)? My neighbor has them cooped up in a hot garage all day and doesnt have the resources to take care of them. Getting ready to take them to a shelter if I cant find a place for them soon. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. They are in Little Canada, Minnesota.

A picture and more information would help. Also, try making a post on Craigslist and ask for a small rehoming fee. Otherwise, they'll be dinner if you post them for free.

Back
Top Bottom