Minnesota!

Ever heard of this before? We adopted 2 4 week old chicks from a friend who could not take care of them because their mom was taken by a Fox or coyote. We put them in the pen with the 11 week olds and adults, but provided them with numerous places to hide in that the bigger chicks could not get to. They did get pushed around a bit but the pen is huge with all sorts of trees and bushes and space so it was going ok. At 5 weeks the chicks started sleeping in the coop instead of their safety kennel. But they are still picked on a bit. One of the chicks is brain damaged. She was found frozen and unconscious one morning late May when she was a couple days old so my friend put her under momma and she revived but she is definitely special needs. She doesn't really forage well and wanders off a lot. Anyway, back to last night. She is six weeks old now, and still really doesn't get how to survive. When I went to the coop to lock everyone up she was cuddled up next to a broody silkie/Cochin who is about to hatch out 7 eggs (hopefully today). The broody was completely ok with it. When I went to let them out this morning she was still cuddled up next to the broody! Would a broody adopt a special needs 6 week old chick and raise it with her babies? That would be awesome because this chick needs all the help she can get. She is so sweet....loves people. She runs to everything big that moves, dogs, people, wheelbarrow....and wants desperately to be picked up and cuddled. She is a real nuisance because she doesn't get out of the way. Once I accidently raked her up...anyway, I hope momma broody adopts her and doesnt kill her once the chicks hatch. She is our little sweet pea and having a momma for an extended time might increase her chance of survival.

Sorry for not responding sooner! Got side tracked. Lol

So we now KNOW we are dealing with raccoons. Last night I kept hearing this funny sound, thought it was my kid sneaking out of bed. So I checked in her and she was asleep, but kept hearing a loud squeaking. Then I thought one of my cats had ahold of something. So I went out to check on them. Started to walk out onto the patio(only have a light by the garage, so the patio is dark) thankfully I paused before opening the screen door, or I would have walked right into the middle of seven raccoons at my front door. Woke my husband up quick, but they took off before he could get them. Thankfully all my cats were okay.

Then tonight I was just taking my daughter out of the tub, and I started hearing one of my hens practically yelling. I ran out of the house to the coop, the whole time hearing her. It was to dark to see, but I shook the coop door and something started growling at me on the other side the door.(my hens was quiet) I ran for the house and got my husband, he ran out and shot a round off into the air, since he couldn't see to make sure he wouldn't get a bird or cat.
It had taken off before he got in there. We both went in and we were both fully expecting to find all our birds gone, but thank God they were all okay. Thankfully I heard my hens when I did because they were corning her and that was why she was yelling. I walked in and she ran right for me, jumped up on a bucket for me to pick her up and did not want me to put her down. Couldn't even get her to stay in her coop, took both of us to get her to stay in after we checked it.

Now it is time to remove them and save the rest of our birds and keep our cats from being attacked.
Funny thing...my oldest cat took off for the woods when they showed up, left the younger ones to deal with it. He didn't come out until he knew they were gone.
I have food available for the cats all day, I put it away at night because of coons. I went out the other night to lock up chickens and put the cat food away and there were 2 coons out there. One came running out from the chicken run (all the chickens were accounted for) and the other one was happily sitting by the cat dish, munching away (with the cats not even 2 feet away, watching him). This was about 7:00...broad daylight, I couldn't believe they were out that early. I just returned from vacation though so maybe they were getting bolder while I was gone. I haven't seen them since that evening but I've heard them moving around after dark.
I was just wondering if they would attack the cats.

I am certain that the coons killed my sweet little Mila kitty. And I know from past experience, they will kill cats.

@cottonlouie I think you will have to wait and see, but it is probably that little bird's best chances for survival to have a momma who will look after her and teach her how to take care of herself. She actually might be dependent on that hen for the rest of one or the other of their lives.

There are hand hold traps that work good for catching coon, but then you have to euthanize them to get the trap off. Otherwise, start setting out cage traps with marshmallows.

I have food available for the cats all day, I put it away at night because of coons. I went out the other night to lock up chickens and put the cat food away and there were 2 coons out there. One came running out from the chicken run (all the chickens were accounted for) and the other one was happily sitting by the cat dish, munching away ([COLOR=FF0000]with the cats not even 2 feet away, watching him[/COLOR]). This was about 7:00...broad daylight, I couldn't believe they were out that early. I just returned from vacation though so maybe they were getting bolder while I was gone.  I haven't seen them since that evening but I've heard them moving around after dark.
[COLOR=FF0000]I was just wondering if they would attack the cats.[/COLOR]

Normally we don't have food available at night for the cats either, but that night we got home late, so the cats got fed dinner late.
They will attack the cats if they get to close. My old man knew to just get out of their way, my 2yr old kitty I found hiding in the kiddie pool. I have two that are close to a year, and both have trouble seeing, they were on the patio. Not sure if it was because they didn't know to get outta there or if they couldn't see enough in the dark to know what to do. Both of them normally stay on the patio once it is dark and don't leave until it is light. I heard growling coming from the patio when they tried to leave, not sure if it was cat or racoon.

We have had three cats go missing and we thought it was an owl, but it could be the raccoons.

Last edited:
Well, my father in laws dog finally got to one of my birds, the little wellie pullet that has been through hell and back. Told my wife to let her dad know the dog is no longer welcome here. She's not happy about it but I'm not happy to be down a poult that should have otherwise been fine.

Well, my father in laws dog finally got to one of my birds, the little wellie pullet that has been through hell and back. Told my wife to let her dad know the dog is no longer welcome here. She's not happy about it but I'm not happy to be down a poult that should have otherwise been fine.
I'm sorry to hear this. I know how u feel.

Oh man, sorry to hear that. That's a tough one.

Ok Minnesota friends how do I help keep my chickens cool in the heat that we will be having for the next the days. I do leave the window in the coop open on nits that I know it's not going to Strom. I give them frozen yogurt has a treat.

Ok Minnesota friends how do I help keep my chickens cool in the heat that we will be having for the next the days. I do leave the window in the coop open on nits that I know it's not going to Strom. I give them frozen yogurt has a treat.

Plenty of cold, fresh water. If you have a pan that is shallow enough to put water in (preferrably not a black one), and toss some ice in an keep it where the birds can get to it, some like to stand in that to stay cool.
Otherwise, don't feed extra carbs, have PLENTY of ventillation and keep them dry.

Oh, and vitamins with electrolytes in the water is always a good idea when they are stressed.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom