Minnesota!

dogs have accounted for more than 90% of predator kills for me. I lose to the occasional hawk or owl, or fox, but....generally it is a dog.

Head count came up short last night, missing a hen. Not sure whether the fox learned about chickens (almost hard to believe when it had a standoff with a smaller chicken and didn't take her), or dog or hawk - lots of migrating hawks and eagles.

This time of year is hard - keep them confined in the runs , or let them out with the lush greenery? I was gone all day yesterday so no deterrent that way.

And, one of those "pullets" is a that were broody hatched last spring is a cockeral. I can hear him join in the morning crowing, but even after carefully examining the pullets, I can't figure out who is masquerading! I know when they were chicks I thought I had 3 cockerals, but when it was time to pack them off for the slaughter there were only two.

Enjoy this gorgeous fall weather, everyone!

You could have a crowing female out there. Someone on the other thread has one they discovered.

We moved the chicks to a brooder in the coop. A major renovation this weekend and I now have three separate areas. One for chicks, one for unruly roosters and the largest part for hens.

Well, I figured out why my girls were so sporadic in laying, and a 9watt LED bulb on a few hours before sunrise did the trick! My coop (and entire house) is cut out of very thick woods, so it makes sense that there wasn't a ton of light to begin with. After talking with MCM, I added the light. The next day I got 8 eggs from my 9 hens, and I suspect that's because my wellie is the youngest one and isn't to POL yet. Life's been busy for me too. With kids now 1 and 3, my crazy schedule and bow hunting, internet time comes sparingly. I did arrow a nice doe last evening, so the pressure for meat in the freezer is off. How are you guys prepping for winter? Wondering if I need to do anything extra special (besides water bowl. I was thinking about putting thick plastic on most of my fenced in run, so the birds will have a relatively snow free place to mill about. Anyone have any MN Chicken Survival tips I should know as I head into Winter #1?

MNbrewdude one of the most important things in winter is ventilation so make sure your coop is well ventilated!

I have found giving birds water in the morning is best. Then they can drink till they are done and by then water is froze! And never water in the coop! I always water mine in the run once a day!

Well, I figured out why my girls were so sporadic in laying, and a 9watt LED bulb on a few hours before sunrise did the trick! My coop (and entire house) is cut out of very thick woods, so it makes sense that there wasn't a ton of light to begin with. After talking with MCM, I added the light. The next day I got 8 eggs from my 9 hens, and I suspect that's because my wellie is the youngest one and isn't to POL yet. Life's been busy for me too. With kids now 1 and 3, my crazy schedule and bow hunting, internet time comes sparingly. I did arrow a nice doe last evening, so the pressure for meat in the freezer is off. How are you guys prepping for winter? Wondering if I need to do anything extra special (besides water bowl. I was thinking about putting thick plastic on most of my fenced in run, so the birds will have a relatively snow free place to mill about. Anyone have any MN Chicken Survival tips I should know as I head into Winter #1?
Light does make a difference, but usually not that quickly. You lucked out, I think ;)
Water is always tricky, but if you have power down there, you may be able to set up a heated waterer somehow, there are lots of styles and options around for it.
As Holm said, make sure you leave ventilation. I would leave any opening on the East side if you are going to leave any at all. It is the side least likely to get anything blowing directly in. However, stapling plastic up with a way to vent at top if it does get humid in there is the best. Moisture will frostbite combs, wattles, maybe even toes. Good thing you have some pea comb girls that you don't have to fuss over ;) Hopefully the Wellies comb stays small enough to not cause worry for you. Any Aussies might need keeping an eye on though.

mnbrew, it might not make sense if your coop is in the deep woods, but....I make a sun porch each fall out of haybales interspersed with old storm windows, covered with an old piece of plywood. Just set the wood or whatever top you can come up with on the bales, wedge the windows in , and it makes a great snow free place for the flock to sunbathe and dustbathe. I put it right next to the coop and keep the foot or so between the sunporch and the coop well shoveled. They really make use of it come snow time.

yeah, I"m down to 2 or 3 eggs a day, and the flock is in heavy heavy molt. All sitting around looking miserable except for the pullets.So many feathers everywhere that it was hard when I was looking for my missing hen the other day . I figure I will go get some storebought eggs and scramble them up for them for a little protein boost. They are on 20percent protein feed. I also have a bag of frozen chicken hearts and one of livers that I can cut up for them

I heard warm weather is coming back next week! this is crazy, never went this late in 10 years without a frost. actually had some raspberries yesterday out of the garden.

The chicks are in the coop with their heater. Separate but next to each other.

Back
Top Bottom