Minnesota!

Anyone mind if I jump in too? We live in the outskirts of Garrison up by Mille Lacs!
smile.png

Do you sell chicken butt cones too? I have a wimpy australorp who never quite fit in. She's the only one without tail feathers. I just pulled her out of the big group and stuck her in with some adolescent birds. Hoping all goes well for a little while. What do you do for that? Especially when it's so cold. She'll be a lot warmer with the new group at least, if she gets along. I'm so far south it's only 7 miles north of Iowa.

Hi, I'm a newbie from Duluth, hoping to have the 5 hens that are allowed in the city, this spring. Meanwhile I've been soaking up as much info as I can here on BYC. What a great site!
The one thing that I would like to learn more about is how well will cold tolerant chickens do in an insulated and well ventilated (but unheated) coup?
The BYCers from Alaska had an interesting thread going about cold tolerance that made me think I could keep from spending a small fortune each winter heating the coop.
Any thoughts?

Last edited:
They will do just fine. We have cold tolerant breeds and no insulation in our old barn. One corner of the barn has been boarded off on the floor and sides to prevent drafts and the only heater is for their water can. If you have a well insulated little coop for in town with some ventilation, it will be like a spa compared to what they can handle! What lucky little ladies!

Quote:
I'm glad to hear you say that!
The coop will be inside an existing shed that I built to hold firewood years ago, and now is full of good junk and stuff.
big_smile.png
I can make a walk-in coop with a floor about 18 inches off the ground. The shed is on a slight grade, so putting a raised floor in the coop levels it, makes it possible for me to insulate between the floor joists, and gives me a bit of storage space under there. The front of the coop is the south wall of the shed ... I'm putting two used thermopanes there ... the kind that slide open sideways, for some of the ventilation. The run will be just outside that south facing wall ... with a lean-to roof over it.

Quote:
Nice! what time to what time? address? I am looking to buy OEGBs, if you have attended before, are OEGBs usually readily available or rare at this swap?

minnesota game breeders sale/swap at hutchinson, mn on 2/13/11 at the fair grounds. starts early ( 7:00 ). this sale/swap has mostly game birds, waterfowl. there is almost always some poultry.
FAIRGOUNDS IS ON SOUTH SIDE OF TOWN, WEST OF HY 15, NEAT AIRPORT
FOR OEGB'S A BETTER BET WOULD BE SUNDAY, MARCH 20, 11 AT THE BROWN COUNTY FAIRGROUNDS IN NEW ULM. STARTS AT 7:00AM.
THE FEB 5 SALE/SWAP HAD A LOT OF ADULT BIRDS, DUCKS, GEESE, CHICKENS, PEAFOUL, THERE WERE PLESANTS AND QUAIL, RABBITS, BABY GOATS AND PIDGONS, DON'T FORGET THE PIDGONS. I GOT 4 VERY NIVE WHITE HOMERS THERE

Back
Top Bottom