Minorca thread!

Pics
Cross the whites with exhibition type blacks to improve the size and type of the whites. This can also be done with the buffs although it will take a little longer to get the buff color back to a pure golden buff. I did this with large cochins and now have an excellent line of large whites. More people need to be working with the white and buff minorcas as they are very rare and good birds are even more rare.

Bo

Thanks for the information on Sandhill. I am hoping to receive at least one good breeding pair (or trio) of White Minorca from which to work with. I have also ordered their Black Minorca. I hope that their black are a better example of the breed than the very small hens I received from McMurray.

You are probably going to be out of luck with the Sandhill birds. I have a pair of Blacks that came from Sandhill stock and my large Minorcas are twice their size.
There are a few breeders out there with some Whites and one working on improving the Buffs. There are people out there working with the varieties, they just dont advertise it alot.
John

I have searched in the Wisconsin area for some good birds, but have not been able to locate a (private) breeder. Certainly there are hatcheries offering Minorca, but.....

I hope this breed can gain popularity! It would be nice to find quality birds that are suitable for exhibition and production.

To be honest I'm not too worried about having birds that meet the show standard. I'll be concentrating on keeping my birds true to their name "buff minorca's" and then on production. I'm sure I'll be looking around for other buff lines to cross into my own, but until I find some new blood I'm going to try my best to breed my birds in such a way as to capitalize on the best traits they have to offer. One thing Sand Hill does tell you is that they try to breed for the most diverse blood lines possible. So I can start my flock with as diverse a group as I can and work towards my own goal. Anyways, if any of you Buff Minorca breeders are out there reading, let me know!
frow.gif

Interestingly, I currently have a Buff Minorca that is broody. I have rarely had a light weight chicken go broody. Although I did once have a Buttercup hen set on a clutch of eggs. This particular hen is from McMurray Hatchery.

Thanks for the information on Sandhill. I am hoping to receive at least one good breeding pair (or trio) of White Minorca from which to work with. I have also ordered their Black Minorca. I hope that their black are a better example of the breed than the very small hens I received from McMurray.

my buff minorcas are the biggest chickens i have (all chicks from sandhill, but mostly other breeds) - let me know how it turns out!!!!

To be honest I'm not too worried about having birds that meet the show standard. I'll be concentrating on keeping my birds true to their name "buff minorca's" and then on production. I'm sure I'll be looking around for other buff lines to cross into my own, but until I find some new blood I'm going to try my best to breed my birds in such a way as to capitalize on the best traits they have to offer. One thing Sand Hill does tell you is that they try to breed for the most diverse blood lines possible. So I can start my flock with as diverse a group as I can and work towards my own goal. Anyways, if any of you Buff Minorca breeders are out there reading, let me know!
frow.gif

im happy with my chicks from sandhill

Interestingly, I currently have a Buff Minorca that is broody. I have rarely had a light weight chicken go broody. Although I did once have a Buttercup hen set on a clutch of eggs. This particular hen is from McMurray Hatchery.

That's great to hear. I'm hoping to sustain my flock under their own power. But if I have to get some chicken of another breed so I can hatch out replacements a couple times a year I will. But broodiness is definitely a trait I'll be looking for.

Back
Top Bottom