Minorca thread!

Pics
You might consider selecting two trios of each,if you have the space.This way you would not be breeding as close,you could switch males and have 4 matings instead of one.You will get off to a better start,working with the whites and buffs. Later generations, when you get your flock size built up,you can get stricter on culling and selection.

Yes, I have plenty of space. I am going to keep each breed/color separate from one another. I usually hand mate all of my hens so they don't end up looking so rough. I am working with the Derbyshire Red Cap breed as well. The White Leghorns I purchased are simply for eggs.

Nice to see their are some Minorca breeders left. Seeing this I think all the colours and sizes are still not extinct.

I know somebody who breeds only single comb:
Minorca standard: black, blue and white
Minorca bantam: black, lavender and starting with buff this year.

I breed only Minorca bantams single comb: black, blue and also starting with buff this year. And next year or the year after splash.
(I also breed single comb black mottled Ancona bantams, hopefully next year blue mottled too)

My best Minorca bantam blue rooster, 5 weeks old. F2 generation from cross with blue Standard Minorca.

Last edited:
Cool. Are the blues in Belgium not supposed to be Heavily laced. Here in America we do not Have blue minorcas we do have blue andalusians however

Cool. Are the blues in Belgium not supposed to be Heavily laced. Here in America we do not Have blue minorcas we do have blue andalusians however
We don't have Blue Minorcas here in the US.....yet! haha. There is a breeder working on Blue Minorcas as we speak and no its not me either.
I have seen them and they are a work in progress but look very good so far.

It seems blue minorcas would be fairly easy to make due to the similarities between andalusians and minorcas. A rosecomb blue Minorca would be really cool

It seems blue minorcas would be fairly easy to make due to the similarities between andalusians and minorcas. A rosecomb blue Minorca would be really cool
I think you have to worry about the size difference mostly. They type of a large Minorca is a lot deeper of body in my opinion.
Yes a Rosecombed Blue Minorca would be nice to see....sly grin :)

No these are blue and not blue laced.

In Belgium there are no rosecombed Minorca´s or Minorca bantams. I prefer the single comb.

2009 Hatch Buff Male

15970_buffminorca2009ckl.jpg
Really like this rooster (almost pure Minorca look). Can´t believe this is an F1 cross between a buff Leghorn and a black Minorca.
tongue.png

My F1 crosses all have a lot of black.
I have a white legged buff leghorn bantam hen and a yellow legged buff Leghorn bantam rooster. The 3 chicks (1 hen and 2 roosters) I have came from the buff male with a black Minorca female. Sadly the hen I wanted to use (had very big earlobes en very high legs) died in oktober 2012 so I had to se one with shorter legs.

Last edited:
My 2 black hens from 2010

My first chicks

I kept this rooster, had 95 point on the show in oktober 2012, he is from 2011.

His sister, still have her too

The big/standard blue hens I used for my blue project

The F1 generation of blue chicks

The black hen (daughter of the black rooster) also had 95 points on the show. she is from 2012

My F1 cross on the show

And the black rooster with his daughter

My F1 blue rooster, good comb and good colour, now father of a lot of chicks :)

And his sister, also have some chicks of her.

Back
Top Bottom