Minorca thread!

I wanted to share a picture of my two Roosters from Sand Hill Preservation. I also ordered a handful of pullets from McMurray, one of which was mistakenly sexed, so I ended up with a Rooster. Look at the size difference, not to mention the little guy is a nervous freak (it reminds me of a Leghorn).

Last edited:
Question about leg color.

I purchased 4 "sexed pullets" from a local hatchery that are supposed to be Minorcas. So, likely not the greatest stock but I was looking to add something to my flock that had a little more heat tolerance than my Marans and Favs, and I fell in love with how stunning the Minorcas were at a show near us. Plus I needed a white egg layer so I could have a perfectly mixed basket of eggs ;)

2 of the pullets were actually cockerels. they will be going to freezer camp next month. But, I've noticed all 4 birds have yellow legs. The pullets have some slate-ish tinge on the front, but definitely predominantly yellow. Does this mean they are likely leghorns, or black leghorn crosses? I have trouble telling them apart other than size.

Thanks!
Natalie

Sounds like a Black Leghorn. What hatchery, may I ask?

Darling downs hatchery. It doesn't really matter much to me- I struggle sometimes to appreciate the differences between leghorns and minorcas. But personality wise all 4 birds are super flighty, and small, which to me is more leghorn like as well.

The real issue now is naming the 2 girls as they are 12 weeks old and I'm still referring to them as "the baby chickens"
1f602.png

This year at the Ekka I am going to try to meet some of the Minorca folks- maybe I can get fertile eggs nearby.

Here is a Blue Minorca that hatched this Spring out of a white x white mating. Her mother is a White Minorca that is out of a Sandhill White Rooster over a McMurray Black Hen.

Attachments

• Blue Minorca.jpg
    Blue Minorca.jpg
    466.3 KB · Views: 26
I’m wanting to purchase some show quality white minorcas. If anyone knows of someone who has them I would greatly appreciate their contact info.

I have one RC Minorca hen I found for sale at a feed store. Shes the first I had ever seen, in fact I didn't even know about them prior to purchasing her. I'm hoping to source some more but it's been difficult so I may have to go with hatching eggs
DSC_0420.JPG DSC_0437.JPG

Back
Top Bottom