Minorca thread!

I like the size on those pullets Tom, they look almost as big as the Buff male. I like the color of the male as well, nice even color. Do you still raise any of the White Minorcas as well Tom? I had a trio about ten years ago and I still kick myself for letting them go....

There's white minorcas too???? I just found out about the buffs a couple of weeks ago, only knew about the blacks. Y'all have me swooning!

Couple of quick queries for those experienced in this breed.

1) Do they have a laying season & stop for the winter?
2) Do they do well in mixed flocks?
3) On average, how many eggs do they lay per week during their laying season? I'm obviously not looking to this breed for production--we don't sell our eggs or anything, just eat them ourselves or give extras to my grown sons & their families.... I'm just curious as to how many pretty pearly-white orbs of protein nutritional goodness I can hope for from my chickens once I get them.

Thanks to all in advance for your advice/info!

I guess the really rare Minorca would be the RC Whites. Dan would be the guy to ask if any exist I suppose or if they are gone how they might be recreated....

The Minorcas I have had in the past laid most every day. So I guess I would say they are a 6 out of 7 day layer. They lay very distinct large white chalky white eggs.

Tom- Nice progress. I beleive all breeding is a work in progress- even the popular breeds/varieties. The male is almost a Catalaina in body style and color. I really like the looks of the females with the pure buff male. Nice body shape and good heads. I can't wait to see the offspring of that cross. Will the white leg pull of the slate legs? I have pictures but they won't let me post them since I am new to the site. David Moore had some nice whites at the show in Shawnee. I wish his female was in better condition- she should have been reserve breed. I have already started hatching and dad said we have around 15 minorca chicks on the ground- I am hoping to show a display of SC and RC minorcas at the crossroads show in Indianapolis.

Got to go- Brad

Sorry- RC stands for Rosecomb and SC stands for Single Comb. To answer your questions posted above- minorcas do well in mixed flocks. All my females run together after the breeding season this includes the Minorcas, Australorps, and Campine. My males are all individually cooped to keep the ear lobe from being scarred. It is also easier to keep birds in condition when they are not with other birds. They do well with egg production and I have birds laying from spring to fall. The only time they stop is when we get blasted with cold weather after a warm spell and during molting. With the right conditions I have also had eggs produced in the winter time. This winter has been very cold but the hens have started to lay that are outside (including some minorcas). My breeding pens are set up inside the barn that can be heated and light controls available. This has allowed for my dad to start hatching earlier this spring. The amout of eggs depends on the genetics of the birds and their diet. But on average they will lay 5-6 eggs per week.

Here are a couple of pics I have of Brad Buttrams RC Black Minorcas. He cant post yet as a new member so I am posting them for him with his permission.
I am ready to get some of these myself. Impressive birds Brad.

46907_minorca_008.jpg

46907_minorca_025.jpg

Thank you for posting the pictures. The male is an older male that has produced some really nice females. Although his comb is not the best, he makes up in body. I have a better combed male, but he does not carry the depth in the breast as well as this bird. I really like this male. The female picture was taken at a very young age. I have a more recient picture that does her more justice, if I can get if off the camera and on the post. She was awared reserve Largefowl at the Arkansas State Fair Spring Show last year. I really like the depth of body and fan of tail. I also like the shape of her comb, I wish it was a bit more off the head, but progress is taken in small steps, and body and type is WAY more important than the comb shape.

You are welcome Brad. Thanks for the synopsis of your birds. Its nice to hear about the finer points that come to your eye. They are gorgeous birds.
I have two other pictures that Dan sent me from Richard Schocks flocks of RC Blacks but I will have to ask Dans permission to post them on here.

Back
Top Bottom