Minorca thread!

Pics
I have blue black and splash Project minorca's UntilI growout one of my young roosters my birds arefrom portland oregan Henry Reece strain I will get some pictures posted.I had 3 hens and a rooster but the rooster keeled over so to keep this breed alive and try to work with it I crossed it with a Blue Andalusian In hopesfor a black roo that I can breed back for afew generations. I contacted Henry and he no longer is selling his birds so a hatchery stock replacement rooster is definatly out of the question.

Quote:
Great! Good luck with the hatch.
fl.gif

Have you used your incubator before? I am getting eggs later this spring and have been practicing with Trader Joe's fertile eggs. Hatch day is this Friday. Only three (out of a dozend) made it into lock down. They were really old when I got them. But I now have temps and humidity under control for my more expensive eggs
big_smile.png

Yes, we did one hatch in an ExoTerra. We set the second hatch, but it failed 36 hours into incubation so we had to scramble around & got another incubator from a wonderful friend, and now we're at day 10 of that incubation and coming right along. Right now, we're hatching BCMs, EEs, and silkies in the bator in the house with 1 porcelain Belgian d'uccle. We have 5 more porcelain d'uccle eggs, 2 bantam EEs, and 4 "mystery eggs" under a broody hen out back in the henhouse. Then there's the 9 in the brooder...

Yeah, I REALLY need more hatching eggs, don't I? But but ... but... but I don't have any minorcas (yet.... mwahahahah)

I just LOVE hatching eggs! When it hits 21 days, it's like Christmas morning...only the gifts open themselves.
smile.png
My first two chicks I started incubating on a whim in a home made incubator....if you can call it that. lol 2 pyrex bowls and a desk lamp. I shouldn't knock it....it worked! It wasn't until the last week or so that I purchased an incubator because I was paranoid that my bulb would burn out in the middle of the night. I have a picture of it somewhere.

Actually I have 2 others in there. My Easter Egger crossed w/ the buff minorca roo and silver spangled hamburg hen w/ buff minorca roo. My sweet hamburg died the day after I placed her egg in the bator so I have a lot riding on that egg. I can't wait to see how they all turn out. Should be very interesting.
smile.png

Yeah I sure hope so, pretty excited about getting a start in them finally. Thanks for your help as well Dan. How are your birds doing this spring?

It has been a long winter,still cold,two snow storms this week.I have been out of work all winter and expenses are getting worse here all the time.The birds are laying and I have them mated up,so will be saving hatching eggs soon.Glad to be of some help,and it is nice to know Brad came through for you. Dan Honour.

Back
Top Bottom