Minorca thread!

Pics
I have 28 twelve day old chicks, 6 are Buff Minorca. Of the 5 breeds I selected (the others are Australorp, Cuckoo Marans, Delawares, and EE's) the Buff chicks are the smallest - noticeably smaller. However, they're supposed to be the heaviest bird once matured. They are hatchery birds which I know means they won't conform ideally to the standard. Even my mystery chick is bigger than the biggest Buff Minorca, and I've narrowed it down to either a Sebright (2 lb adult) or Hamburg (4 lb adult). I will say, other than the mystery chick, they are the only birds showing any signs of a comb as of yet - itty bitty nubs coming up. They are very flighty and stick together in the corners. They seem to sleep more than my other chicks as well. Is this normal growth/behavior?

Most hatchery Buff Minorcas are too small. At one time Buff Minorcas had the same weights as S.C.Black Minorcas and I still feel all varieties of a breed should have the same weights.If they are up to Standard weigh,they are fairly large and similar to the other breeds you have.

Sounds like my Minorcas....I have 6 , one being a buff. She is half the size of the blacks. But, I got my first white egg a few days ago....very small but perfect shape. They are 21 weeks old. I believe they came from Ideal.
If I'm in the coop and they come in all H... breaks loose, they run in all directions , screaming and acting foolish. They've always been like that. They still fly out of the run and its fence is 8 feet high. After they get out they want right back in, luckily if I open the door they walk right back in. Don't know yet which one is giving me the small white egg (3 so far..over 2 weeks).

Minorcas will usually add more weight on as they mature,taking up to 1 1/2 to 2 years old.They should also lay very large eggs after a few months.As they get heavier and begin to settle down they should not want to fly over high fences and very large birds often need to get onto something in order to get up and over.Very wild birds should not be used for breeding if calmer ones are there.

An update,my four books are delayed on the updated editions..I had a computer hard drive failure on a rather new one.The company replaced it,but I lost a lot of material I was using to upodate my books. I was just about to save ,but was a day away,was still formating and proof reading. So I had to start again ,saving material every week now. If anyone has any good pictures,yearbooks,articles,etc. on Minorcas ,I can still use some more.You can send me paper copies or word files,scans,digital pictures.Anything from 1880-to current.
I have also lost my email list,so if you are wanting the new editions when available,send me a note and your email.Thanks

Dan Honour,8 old north road,Apt.A,Amenia NY 12501
phone,845-373-8345
email dannej@verizon .net.

Great to hear from you Dan. Sorry to hear about all of the computer troubles, I would love to say I dont know how that goes but have the same happen many times as well.
As always I will look forward to reading any and everything you write and put together. I and I am sure everyone else who has interest in these breeds are very grateful for your hard work and diligence in compiling information from so many places.
Have raised a few good birds this year and should have a good group to breed from next season.
John

Thanks John. I managed to hatch out about 100 Minorcas late in the spring,I think I have culled only 3 or 4 so far . I want to weed out males with short legs,poor combs and get strict on eye color in males. Eyecolor takes time to tell,I forget just when,but it seems like 8 months old ??
The books are coming along and hopefully no more set backs. I could use some more Minorca aricles,pictures,breeder cataolog,yearbooks,etc,I have about exhausted my collection,so if anyone has anything good send it to me,if it is good and I do not already have it,will be grateful to include it. . Dan Honour

Wow, a 100 is a pretty good hatch I would say! I culled some early for combs also, plus a few had tails I didnt like very much. My pullets seem to look a lot better than my males do honestly.

As for books etc, I will try to look if I can for anything new. I think all I have, you already have copies of. I will search Google books because there is usually quite a bit of stuff on there you can find.
John

I have a few 3 minorca cockerals and 3 pullets almost ready to show and I will post pics in 2 months at our county fair. I also have about 10 more minorcas and 1 andalusian that will be ready to show in about 3-4 months.

Back
Top Bottom